Versatile Deerhound X's

Gafer, you have had some lovely dogs, for the second time today I am blown away by a dog, your new boy is a stunner.

How old is he and what has he been like so far? is he quick on the uptake or does he like to do things when he is ready? which is why I think people say DH's are a bit dumb

thanks mate verry quick to learn that x arnt dumb they can be chalanging they are far from dumb i have had this type for years and would never be without one in my run but that one was a c**t for runing round the field with the bunny in his gob when he was young he would retreve in the garden take him out would he bollox bring it back they don't half test you

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A deerhound/collie/greyhound lurcher..

this is my bitch she done most mate deer x grey beddy wippet grey  

What i would say mate if your wanting to get one is dont be too concerned with the exact cross and the specific mix of whats in it and how much etc. Just make sure that the parents are working and doi

Posted Images

ive only had one deerhound grey 1st x which is my bitch now , i wouldnt say she thick and runs for england ,ive seen collie xs and other xs which pick there runs

maybe thats a sign of saving energy knowing they cant catch it i dont know really , mine takes off what eves in the beam ,

bill or trev or bear and davey will tell you how brainy the dh x is , its what people class as brainy

dhxgh are verry brainy i don't no why people say they are not a dh is the brainiest of the sighthound family evert dh x i have had have been far frim stuppid

Sighthounds by their very nature are not the brainiest canines, and I can't see how you come to the conclusion Deerhounds are the brainiest Sighthound ? Brainier than a Whippet; or a Ibizan, or Pharoah ? Why do Sighthounds need to be "brainy" ? There job is to run down quarry by sight and speed, and they do that very well !! :thumbs:

Cheers.

• Like 2

ive only had one deerhound grey 1st x which is my bitch now , i wouldnt say she thick and runs for england ,ive seen collie xs and other xs which pick there runs

maybe thats a sign of saving energy knowing they cant catch it i dont know really , mine takes off what eves in the beam ,

bill or trev or bear and davey will tell you how brainy the dh x is , its what people class as brainy

dhxgh are verry brainy i don't no why people say they are not a dh is the brainiest of the sighthound family evert dh x i have had have been far frim stuppid

Sighthounds by their very nature are not the brainiest canines, and I can't see how you come to the conclusion Deerhounds are the brainiest Sighthound ? Brainier than a Whippet; or a Ibizan, or Pharoah ? Why do Sighthounds need to be "brainy" ? There job is to run down quarry by sight and speed, and they do that very well !! :thumbs:

Cheers.

thats what it said in my old mans book i read a few years back thats what i was going on i think they are prety brainy chart every one i have had aint been thick that is for sure
  • Like 1

Cheers.

I think it comes down to how many different types of dog that you've seen work and what you need from a dog.

A clever sight hound will put more game on the table than a stupid, fast one. That's why they need to have brains. A dog with brains can anticipate what their quarry will do, retains knowledge better from previous hints and works better without commands.

bill can you reconise this stamp on head

a true doxhope well % wise close hey

I was running the dogs in Ireland two year ago, and a guy came up to me and said "is that a Doxhope bred bitch ?"; I said "yes. how did you know that ?"; he said "you can tell by the head" !!

lima1.jpg

lima3.jpg

Cheers.

• Like 2

If I thought I could get away with what Miss Noble did; I'd put this bitch to the best working Deerhound I could find, and try to get Deerhounds back to what they were, and should be !! But age and times would more than likely prevent that ! LOL !

camping036-1.jpg

Cheers.

Edited by chartpolski
  • Like 1

bill can you reconise this stamp on head

a true doxhope well % wise close hey

A bit dip on the nose, slighter rise to the brow and lower ear carridge and its nearly there matie..eyes too are not quite Doxhope..have a look at the head study of chartis...

Nice looking animal though..dont forget the last one we bred was in 2001/2002, so those knocking about now will have less of the original stuff in..

• Like 1