• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A deerhound/collie/greyhound lurcher..

this is my bitch she done most mate deer x grey beddy wippet grey  

What i would say mate if your wanting to get one is dont be too concerned with the exact cross and the specific mix of whats in it and how much etc. Just make sure that the parents are working and doi

Posted Images

I thought that deerhounds were very bright and biddable much the same attributes a collie would offer or does a collie add something above the intelligence of a deerhound?

deerhounds dont have much brain power and not even a fraction of that of a collie, but they can be very biddable and add some real handy blood into a lurcher :thumbs:

I dont think the brain is comparable to most collies but they arent stupid either. They are slow to mature though I couldnt do much in terms of basic training till he was about 10 months then things just seemed to fall into place after that

Yourself and Haggis obviously haven't had deerhound x's or put them to any proper work if you don't think that they're intelligent.

Are collie x's that much more intelligent or do they just lack heart and need to be told what to do at all times? Is being biddable a sign of intelligence or a sign a sign of being a bit thick and needing constant direction? A DH x won't pick his runs and won't back off of certain quarry. Can the same be said of collie x's?

I thought that deerhounds were very bright and biddable much the same attributes a collie would offer or does a collie add something above the intelligence of a deerhound?

deerhounds dont have much brain power and not even a fraction of that of a collie, but they can be very biddable and add some real handy blood into a lurcher :thumbs:

I dont think the brain is comparable to most collies but they arent stupid either. They are slow to mature though I couldnt do much in terms of basic training till he was about 10 months then things just seemed to fall into place after that

Yourself and Haggis obviously haven't had deerhound x's or put them to any proper work if you don't think that they're intelligent.

Are collie x's that much more intelligent or do they just lack heart and need to be told what to do at all times? Is being biddable a sign of intelligence or a sign a sign of being a bit thick and needing constant direction? A DH x won't pick his runs and won't back off of certain quarry. Can the same be said of collie x's?

You got me mate, bang to rights.. My dogs dont exist!

Didnt really say they were not intelligent if you read what I wrote but i do think that collies are easier to train

Fair enough, I apologise, you never said that they weren't intelligent. It's often said that DH x's are stupid. This simply isn't true. I am obviously a bit stupid because I didn't read your reply properly.

Collie x's may be easier to train, and I agree that they are, but I'm not sure that that's a sign of superior intelligence.

good thread this ive got a dh grey he s 8mth and i think ive been expecting a bit much by the sounds of it ,he s not showing much hunting ability ive had him out with my older dog catching rabbits but hes not realy interested i was getting worried but reading this is telling me to stick with it.

8 MONTH ???!!! He's still a baby !! Give him time, any type of Lurcher is still a baby at 8 month, never mind a Deer X ! :thumbs:

Cheers.

thanks its just when you hear people saying what there dogs are doing ,here and there and mine just wants to chase my gundogs ...show him a rabbit and nowt

Fair enough, I apologise, you never said that they weren't intelligent. It's often said that DH x's are stupid. This simply isn't true. I am obviously a bit stupid because I didn't read your reply properly.

Collie x's may be easier to train, and I agree that they are, but I'm not sure that that's a sign of superior intelligence.

I wouldnt change him for the world now but he has been challenging lets say.

good thread this ive got a dh grey he s 8mth and i think ive been expecting a bit much by the sounds of it ,he s not showing much hunting ability ive had him out with my older dog catching rabbits but hes not realy interested i was getting worried but reading this is telling me to stick with it.

8 MONTH ???!!! He's still a baby !! Give him time, any type of Lurcher is still a baby at 8 month, never mind a Deer X ! :thumbs:

Cheers.

thanks its just when you hear people saying what there dogs are doing ,here and there and mine just wants to chase my gundogs ...show him a rabbit and nowt

There's an old saying; "Don't believe anything you hear... and only half you see" !! This is particularly pertinant to Lurchers !! LOL !! :thumbs:

Cheers.

• Like 1

this one is my dave platts dog 5th gen 1/2 x a cracking dog on bunny's

kevspics257.jpg

024.jpg

my old dhxgh x colliexgh he was alot rougher than this i trimed him not long befor this pic was taken .had some verry good runs with this dog back in the day sadly no longer with me

DSC00095.jpg

DSC00073.jpg

this is my latest dhxgh x colliexgh nephue to the one above

015.jpg

025.jpg

014-2.jpg

022-1.jpg

and the pair of them looking for squirels lol

017-1.jpg

• Like 2

Cheers.

At 10 months I gave mine a dropper, from about a metre in front of him, he watched it while the rabbit ran straight between his legs then watched it run off then pounced on my older dog!

by 12 months if he saw one run would take you off your feet

Mines been a breeze and my previous one was trouble free. My old dog took fox after fox in urban areas. He was a first x and a big lump at 32" TTS.

This dog is a 3/8 x 5/8, he started picking up squirrels and bunnies that I'd shot at 6 months, started lamping at 9 months and has done everything that's asked of him. He has no trouble picking up rabbits and has done so in he company of a few blokes off of here. He's 30" TTS so he's no pocket dog. I sought out a DH x GH due to my earlier experiences. He is laid back until it matters, when he switches on.

ive only had one deerhound grey 1st x which is my bitch now , i wouldnt say she thick and runs for england ,ive seen collie xs and other xs which pick there runs

maybe thats a sign of saving energy knowing they cant catch it i dont know really , mine takes off what eves in the beam ,

bill or trev or bear and davey will tell you how brainy the dh x is , its what people class as brainy

• Like 2

Gafer, you have had some lovely dogs, for the second time today I am blown away by a dog, your new boy is a stunner.

How old is he and what has he been like so far? is he quick on the uptake or does he like to do things when he is ready? which is why I think people say DH's are a bit dumb

Edited by redpat1

ive only had one deerhound grey 1st x which is my bitch now , i wouldnt say she thick and runs for england ,ive seen collie xs and other xs which pick there runs

maybe thats a sign of saving energy knowing they cant catch it i dont know really , mine takes off what eves in the beam ,

bill or trev or bear and davey will tell you how brainy the dh x is , its what people class as brainy

dhxgh are verry brainy i don't no why people say they are not a dh is the brainiest of the sighthound family evert dh x i have had have been far frim stuppid
  • Like 1