• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A deerhound/collie/greyhound lurcher..

this is my bitch she done most mate deer x grey beddy wippet grey  

What i would say mate if your wanting to get one is dont be too concerned with the exact cross and the specific mix of whats in it and how much etc. Just make sure that the parents are working and doi

Posted Images

i have just bred a litter of 3/4 greyhound 1/4 deerhound pups bicth is a frist x and a very good greyhound dog was put to her only had 4pups goin to run them all on for a bit only 6 weeks old now

i have just bred a litter of 3/4 greyhound 1/4 deerhound pups bicth is a frist x and a very good greyhound dog was put to her only had 4pups goin to run them all on for a bit only 6 weeks old now

Get some pics up mate

i emailed you about her recent catches bill and said if you require some pics from a pup till 23 months i will send them never mind

I remeber, I missed a good oportunity, my fault..these images are exactly what I was after..

Cheers matie

If you have a Deer/Grey X of some mix do they still get down to the bunnies ok with their height? also how agile are they at turning as I would have thought that an out cross to a whip or beddie/whip would give them a bit more agility for the smaller prey especially in smaller fields.

If you have a Deer/Grey X of some mix do they still get down to the bunnies ok with their height? also how agile are they at turning as I would have thought that an out cross to a whip or beddie/whip would give them a bit more agility for the smaller prey especially in smaller fields.

Mine does OK on them for a big dog, turns well for a 28" and has a decent amount of agility. Can obviously make up ground faster than a smaller dog. Obviously compared to say a whippet his turning circle is greater but he makes up for it with his Go Go Gadget neck lol. He has I would say a decent catch rate in comparisson to most smaller lurchers. I think for a dog predominately used on rabbits you would probably be better with something crossed to a collie grey just to stack the odds more in your favour.

IMG_0792.jpg

Edited by lapin2008
  • Like 2

Mine does OK on them for a big dog, turns well for a 28" and has a decent amount of agility. Can obviously make up ground faster than a smaller dog. Obviously compared to say a whippet his turning circle is greater but he makes up for it with his Go Go Gadget neck lol. He has I would say a decent catch rate in comparisson to most smaller lurchers. I think for a dog predominately used on rabbits you would probably be better with something crossed to a collie grey just to stack the odds more in your favour.

IMG_0792.jpg

IMG_0814.jpg

Cheers Lapin, I think that without a doubt that when I am in the position to get another lurcher it will contain plenty of deerhound blood. I can also see the benefits of putting in some collie just to bring the size down a little and also to perhaps make that brain a little sharper.

I imaging that by having deerhound blood it probably negates the need for an aggressive input from say a bull or beddie bloodlines?

IMG_0792.jpg

IMG_0814.jpg

Cheers Lapin, I think that without a doubt that when I am in the position to get another lurcher it will contain plenty of deerhound blood. I can also see the benefits of putting in some collie just to bring the size down a little and also to perhaps make that brain a little sharper.

I imaging that by having deerhound blood it probably negates the need for an aggressive input from say a bull or beddie bloodlines?

My only issue with mine has been the rate that he developed, I can imagine that lots who were not aware of this would give up on them because until mine matured to an extent he seemed an absolute no hoper. He has done well once he reaches the right age for each type of work but i am very cautious at not over facing him too soon.

Crossed to a collie/gh or beddieX may speed up this process but i dont know

A deerhound/collie/greyhound lurcher..

sophie201a.jpg

That is a handsome hound Bill, is it one of your current dogs?

The only dog I have now Ive had for 39 years, Ive had three litters out of her and shes busy making my tea now, ha, ha, ha