Versatile Deerhound X's

I thought that deerhounds were very bright and biddable much the same attributes a collie would offer or does a collie add something above the intelligence of a deerhound?

deerhounds dont have much brain power and not even a fraction of that of a collie, but they can be very biddable and add some real handy blood into a lurcher :thumbs:

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A deerhound/collie/greyhound lurcher..

this is my bitch she done most mate deer x grey beddy wippet grey  

What i would say mate if your wanting to get one is dont be too concerned with the exact cross and the specific mix of whats in it and how much etc. Just make sure that the parents are working and doi

Posted Images

I thought that deerhounds were very bright and biddable much the same attributes a collie would offer or does a collie add something above the intelligence of a deerhound?

deerhounds dont have much brain power and not even a fraction of that of a collie, but they can be very biddable and add some real handy blood into a lurcher :thumbs:

I dont think the brain is comparable to most collies but they arent stupid either. They are slow to mature though I couldnt do much in terms of basic training till he was about 10 months then things just seemed to fall into place after that

ran a fist cross to first cross of dave platt years ago and very biddable and agile .also great jumper and caught regular on feilds and the fens and she was ran up there most weeks in them days .get the right one and you got a good un . gotta say as well seen some real useless heavy lumps running who needed the whole fen to turn in . but was that the owners or the dogs fault .gotta get them out from youngsters to learn the game .

So where do you go for a decent Deerhound X? I know dave Platts had some good dogs some years back, is he still producing quality dogs? I have also heard of Doxhope but I dont know anything about them at all, Are they solid animals?

this is my bitch she done most mate

deer x grey beddy wippet grey

Picture087.jpg

How old is she mate? what is she to TTS? and what does the Beddie add to the mix in your opinion? as I know deerhound crosses are pretty game.

Cheers

Pat

she is nearly 6 mate dont do alot with her now .very fast of the mark 23 1/2 tts .to be fair i dont no how much beddy is in her so i couldent tell you mate .i no her mum was a half cross 2nd gen deer x grey .like i said she done well.aways got a place in my kennel till she dies atb

i have just bred a litter of 3/4 greyhound 1/4 deerhound pups bicth is a frist x and a very good greyhound dog was put to her only had 4pups goin to run them all on for a bit only 6 weeks old now

Good luck with those pups mate, you are gonna have your hands full!

Post up a few pics if possible

• Like 1

i and a few on here have 1st x's bred by trev cook which line is doxhope stuff ,these pups all turned our lightly built but solid in terms of bone and muscle

not heavy by all means mines 27"bitch and 30 kgs bang on ,shes jst turned 2 and had her started on bunnies@ 11 months steady away too, now at 2and into her 1st full season she has surpassed my expectations ,as the lads on here know 1st hand as i keepin touch regularly ,she jumps for fun 0-full flight in secs,good striking abiity with good set of lungs ,im not blowing my own trumpet just been honest ,

post-66703-0-82876700-1353665318_thumb.jpg

Edited by gibbo1973
  • Like 4