collie cross

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There's good and not so good in all types and it's hopefully by seeing and not listening to tittle tat that forces your hand into making a decision onto the type of dog you choose? Like CP said "opini

Some 3/4 Whippet 1/4 Border Collie pup in the Countryman's Weekly. This is my 18 weeks old 3/4 bred Border Collie/Whippet bitch bred my a friend. coming well.

I meant to say dont want a dog over 26'' but i assume the advice is the same, look at the height of the parents for a rough guide

Posted Images

Not all Collie x's are shy/timid..mine is Lurcher x Collie and he's grand..he can fill the game bag anyways ;)

Canon809-1.jpg

As above!

Not all collie crosses are shy, the same as lots of other non collie blooded lurchers can also be shy. Not all pups that start off shy will be when they reach full maturity either!

• Like 1

Not all Collie x's are shy/timid..mine is Lurcher x Collie and he's grand..he can fill the game bag anyways ;)

Canon809-1.jpg

I agree Andy not all collie x's are shy/timid/tempremental BUT if you get one that is it can put you right off, out of the several I've owned only one was off the tempremental type and I think if it had been my first collie x it may well have been my last tbh. A lot of people confuse the intelligence with the dog being a breeze to own when in my experience the real clever types can be a real handful especially for a first time lurcher owner like the OP. The trait is common in lots of breeds but more so in collie x's imo. :victory:

Johnny have you ever came across many shy/timid Collie's? They are usually really upfront or sneaky feckers lol..to be honest i can't recall ever coming across one? No doubt there will be but where at i don't fecking know haha...

Canon198.jpg

Johnny have you ever came across many shy/timid Collie's? They are usually really upfront or sneaky feckers lol..to be honest i can't recall ever coming across one? No doubt there will be but where at i don't fecking know haha...

Canon198.jpg

hahaha......most collie's especially farm collies are feckin arse biters. :D Maybe its the genetics of the greyhound x'd with the collie that makes these tempremental types, in all fairness though Andy that collie line of yours is feckin bombproof mate, this bitch is nothing like any of the collie types I've had before, very full on but takes discipline very well.

• Like 1

Aye,they all seem to be pretty much "clear" of those nervy types which can be infuriating for sure Johnny? Funny you should mention the Greyhound but having kept and raced them in the past numerous of them can be real nervy types,that hair loss they are renowned for is often thought to be caused by stress,they are real "on edge" type of dogs and like you say perhaps when their genes are mixed with the Collie's then at times the shit can hit the fan as the saying goes and we come across these "you can't do right for doing wrong" types...as your not able to train them and discipline them as you should be able to?..funny owld game ain't it :yes:

Canon392-1.jpg

I have a 5/8x3/8 collie grey mix of both border and beardie. He is the first lurcher I have had. Doddle to train and puts many a dog to shame whilst out and about. Steady as a rock and bomb proof. Hunts up during day and will flush and catch his own game, but still always under control. He is a big lad though at 28tts. In my experience I dont think I could of gone for a better first time dog.

GEDC0189.jpg

Cheers

Thorny

• Like 1

Canon809-1.jpg

As above!

Not all collie crosses are shy, the same as lots of other non collie blooded lurchers can also be shy. Not all pups that start off shy will be when they reach full maturity either!

i think we getting the shy word confused with sensitive , Bryn not shy neither was Blaze . Blaze was tough type of dog , would tackle anything on 4 legs , loved foxes more than rabbits lol . What i ment was even though Blaze had a tougher type temp than Bryn, both would fall out with you if you upset them, meaning (over sensitve ) not shy .? Bryn will square up to a 120lb rottie to protect my pup Buck , but shout at the fecker and he wont do nout for you , thats what i ment :yes:

I have a 5/8 3/8 collie/grey bitch and she is bomb proof.Sounds just like Ziggy and also a doddle to train.Great with other dogs and kids.I walked her yesterday and 4 horses were racing about in the wind.She just trotted along the fence,no lead on and took no notice.I don;t find her nervous or sensitive.

Thank you to everyone for the replies.

With regards to the potential sensitive nature of these dogs, I was under the beleif that is was a trait shared by a lot of sight hound and lurcher breeds anyway so it's something I've given a lot of consideration to, I'm a fairly laid bac person any way so I can't see it being a problem.

I fancy a collie cross just because I've been told they are fairly easy to train and ideal for the first time owner, I'm not against other crosses, but thought this one would suit best.

I've seen a few lurchers work and the one I liked the most was a lurcher to lurcher bred dog, a true all rounder who pre ban took r/h/f/d. I think he had collie blood in him.

The only lads I know with lurchers know own bull x's which don't do it for me in the slightest (no offence intended to anyone who works the x, just not my cup of tea) so seing dogs in action is a bit of problem for me.

I'm in Tamworth, staffs if anyone would like to show me the ropes :thumbs: