Question from the pub

So I went for a pint with my dad last night and he said that when he was racing g'hounds they used to say that when breeding a litter you got the physical attributes from the dog and mentallity from the bitch! Now this may stand some truth with a single breed but he asked me if it would come into play in lurcher breeding!

So do you think this has any truth to it or not?

In theory speaking, the pup get half from its dad, and half from its mum.............. But me personally, I believe a larger chunk comes from the mother............ Why? because you breed and outstanding dog to a poor bitch, and usually the pups are average at best, but if you breed a decent bitch to an average dog, the pups are usually as good, if not better than both parents

• Like 1

Should be an intresting thread...

I always thought the Dam would throw more in her pups, And thats only what iv seen with the only litter of lurchers iv bred, In most of the pups iv seen out of her work are much like her, I can see her in them just by the way they work.

But when it comes too what comes from where or % i anit got a clue. Throw the best together and hope you get something sensiable

• Like 2

anything that puts the odds up of getting a good litter would be the way to go, hard enough as it is without taking chances, the dog i have here shows both the traits and ways of his sire and dam (both are here) i expect the pups he has recently sired will be the same :thumbs:

Ye I meen obviously you should use the best that's available to you! But when we has the grey's they tended to throw to the bitch more than the site!

We had a bitch that won the northern oaks and various pther things and her pups Tended to run very similar to her! Could do with a couple more that ran like her now! She did have some pace

In theory speaking, the pup get half from its dad, and half from its mum.............. But me personally, I believe a larger chunk comes from the mother............ Why? because you breed and outstanding dog to a poor bitch, and usually the pups are average at best, but if you breed a decent bitch to an average dog, the pups are usually as good, if not better than both parents

i totaly agree with you on that one mate i bred a good dog to a bitch that wasnt mutch cop the pup wasnt grate at all it had gon alot to its mothers side infact moastly to its mother only thing i covld see what came from my dog was the colour of it i will never do that again that is for sure i will wait till my bitch has a few seasons on her back be fore i breed and if she is not that good she wont be bred with

So I went for a pint with my dad last night and he said that when he was racing g'hounds they used to say that when breeding a litter you got the physical attributes from the dog and mentallity from the bitch! Now this may stand some truth with a single breed but he asked me if it would come into play in lurcher breeding!

could be right there, the genes of both parents are 4/8s from both , but i think your right regards the (mentallity = temp) as they spend 8-10 weeks with her, and it does have a bearing on there mental development . Ok some pups would be born sensitve, or bold thats just nature, but the bitch will have her stamp(temp) on most of the pups. :yes:

• Like 2

i can understand been able identify traits from an animal that has been bred to type for hundreds of years but as far as lurchers go, you pay your money and you take a chance, feck knows what your going to get, the genes are so mixed its a lottery , we breed in hope and keep our fingers crossed,

anything that puts the odds up of getting a good litter would be the way to go, hard enough as it is without taking chances, the dog i have here shows both the traits and ways of his sire and dam (both are here) i expect the pups he has recently sired will be the same :thumbs:

Thats a good point Paulus,

See youve got both (Sire/Dam) So you can see better than most as most have one or the other (Sire/Dam), So you'll know both dogs well and maybe pick up on things from both side, Where others may only be seeing there own dogs throw the pups as might not seen a great deal of the other side work maybe the odd night on the lamp or a bit of daytime but wont pick up on certain triats as you would if you owned it...

Should be a decent little thread this....

Poacher whats them Banned text bits say mate :thumbs:

myself i think both parents are equelly important,some follow the dam and some the sire,m same as any breeding in any animal or human.and even then a lot of how it ends up as a adult is down to the owner in how its reared and trained or brought on .but useing the best bitch and dog you can is a big start in breedinga pup.thats my outlook on it .

imo it can go either way my mate has a sal /grey/bull sire n 1x bull/ grey bitch both jet black and racey he bred a litter to keep 2 back for himself.

once litter came all (except 1) looked like both parents in color and racey type but one is the double of the sires sire fawn big head n a bear of a bitch now there 12 weeks and this 1 bitch looks a different x from the rest.

I think alot see the stamp of the Dam in their pup purely because they want to. Mostly because they own the Dam aswell. Imo its a 50/50 split of genes but obviously certain traits will shine through purely because thats the way things work. In some cases a pup will not take after/or carry traits of either parent so that blows the theory of the Dam being more influenciel straight out of the water. A quality dam and sire is all you need then whichever parent it supposedly takes after should suit you due to both being top class at their job..atb stabba

• Like 3