Question from the pub

So here is a question for you more experienced men......... lets say for example you want a bedlington x whippet, what would you rather use as the dam, taking into account you have both male and female of each breed to use, and there all cracking dogs?

So here is a question for you more experienced men......... lets say for example you want a bedlington x whippet, what would you rather use as the dam, taking into account you have both male and female of each breed to use, and there all cracking dogs?

id always use the non running dog as the dam , not got no scientific reason just the way id do it ,

The same percentace of genes come from the sire and dam so they will be both as equally important .

Some pups get traits of both some the sire some the dam , some pups get traits from Grandparents, great grandparents or even further back.

Some pups get traits from their owners ie, Rearing is Important.

Its not an exact science but use the Best Sire and Dam available for the Job , Temprement, ect you want in your dog.

Good post! I'd add that not all genetic traits are easily observed. if observable at all.

ATB

• Like 1

The same percentace of genes come from the sire and dam so they will be both as equally important .

Some pups get traits of both some the sire some the dam , some pups get traits from Grandparents, great grandparents or even further back.

Some pups get traits from their owners ie, Rearing is Important.

Its not an exact science but use the Best Sire and Dam available for the Job , Temprement, ect you want in your dog.

I agree with this in principle but as Bird said earlier, the dam can exert some influence by being with the pups. While in the womb they share her bloodstream and so her adrenaline and all her hormones affecting mood, excitement, aggression etc. Once born they then learn a lot from her treatment of them and her reaction to strangers, disturbance, that kind of thing.

Who mentioned line breeding what I'm saying is there's no set rules for wether the pups are going to throw more to the dam or more to the sire and that the pups are going to have the physical performance of the sire and the mental attributes of the dam as the op stated thats aload of shit.

Who mentioned line breeding what I'm saying is there's no set rules for wether the pups are going to throw more to the dam or more to the sire and that the pups are going to have the physical performance of the sire and the mental attributes of the dam as the op stated thats aload of shit.

thats why people line breed good to good and the more you know about the line the better :thumbs:

it cant be anything else other than 50/50 because its a single sperm to a single egg the only other genetic way its different is by cloning either the dam or sire and as with breeding a lurcher 1st cross i hope to meet in the middle , something that can run but not as dainty as a ghound with a good head hopefully fron the terrier or collie , gshepard etc for a higher bite force and stamina. i cant see how its different for the coarsing lads either getting the measure of speed with stamina from the ghound and saluki. UNLESS the bitch is some freak of nature or comes from chernobyl and can fertilize its own eggs lol