Dog crying

Unfortunately I have found that Salukis are the kings and queens of whinging. However they do get better as they get older. Not all dogs are suited to a crate. Some find it oppressive but some like them as there own little haven away from everything else. Make their area as comforting and cosy as possible. Give lots of reassurance, plenty of toilet breaks, something to occupy them and praise or treats when they go quiet.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Chuck a bucket of water over the noisy c**t

FFS....... Bet your one one of these people who get down beside them when there not eating much eh Skycat......"Yum, yum ,yum....copy Mummy look!!"........

Plenty of folk actually.....I know a good few lads that will spend the night up with pups or injured and sick dogs.

i think most pups will cry for a week or so, lets face it fi they been with its brothers+sisters for 6-8 weeks then BINGO its on its own what do you expect :hmm: . A feckin baby can cry on+ off for a year, and your botherd about maybe a 2-3 weeks of crying lol . I am getting my 7 week old pup sunday, ive got a heat lamp in and ready put couple of beef bones as well, told my neigbours that might be bit of crying for 2-3 weeks, and just bear with it for a while. You got to leave them and let them cry there selfs to sleep, as mine are kennel dogs i go in the garden fo a good hour and play with them before they are ready for there bit of grub or drop of warm milk, so with somthing in there bellys to sleep on. Bryn will be fecked by nov :laugh: , but you never know it may settle down quick you just dont know . :yes:

Generally I've found that Saluki types are the worst, like has already been said: IMO there's no sense in throwing water over a whining/screaming/howling pup: all you end up with is a wet, even more miserable pup, and one that cowers away from you every time you go near it: is that really the start you want between you and your dog?

Letting it scream the place down for a few nights may also not be an option if you have kids, missus, neighbours etc, or even if it's just you who wants a night's sleep! Easing them into your world gently never does any harm, and certainly doesn't create a clingy dog in the future. What I've found the most is that Saluki types crave and need freedom: they hate being shut in anywhere until they are old enough to understand how your world works, and their brains don't seem to develop along the same lines as a Collie cross for example. They are more feral in their outlook, and in my very humble opinion you are much better off working with their traits than going against them and trying to force them to fit into the 'ideal domestic dog' mould that you envisage. They are the most annoying, irritating, mind-bending, god-awful pushers-of-buttons that man could ever have created, but they make up for it all when you see them doing what they were bred for in the field.

And no, I don't encourage the little sods to eat by mimicking eating beside them :bad::tongue2::laugh: :laugh: But then again, I've not had a healthy dog of any type refuse to eat: mine clear the bowl as soon as the food is put down............but of course I'm feeding them as nature intended.

I know that from what I write on here sometimes I guess people have this idea that I'm a softy with my dogs: in reality, nothing could be further from the truth. There is a line, and they have to toe it, but I understand a dog's basic needs, which are SECURITY, WARMTH, COMPANIONSHIP AND GOOD FOOD.

The companionship thing is, in my experience, the single most essential requirement to a pup, especially one that has just left the security of its litter mates. Work from that and you won't go far wrong. And keeping the pup close to you doesn't mean it will always be hanging off you: just like any young animal, as it grows older, its confidence grows, and it is better able to draw on its own resources when left alone, providing that it has been allowed to develop in a safe environment, spreading its wings little by little, always able to get back to safety and you or its mates if danger threatens.

• Like 2

i'm with skycat and matt 1979 on this i have saluki in my dog and yes they are king of the whingers i had to leave the marital bed for about a fortnight and sleep in next door bedroom just to keep the peace first dog ever kept in the house the wife going at me for the noise plus she doesn't like dogs anyway but at 21 months is an angel and it didn't help the litter brother to her never peeped or so the lad (i didn't believe him )said

a man's gotta do what a man's do to keep the peace

keep at it it'll get easier

millybot

Its easy to take the pee out of skycats response if you havent had this issue, but the reality is if you have then its very good advice. I have had grown up all my life with dogs and never had a pup whine at night really bad until my last but one. Tried the usual ignore it, water, radio, clock etc a week later no progress and very little sleep, i whacked the roll mat outside the pantry where the pup was housed after fitting a dog gate and the dog slept all night (and so did i) gradually moved the roll mat further away over next couple of nights and had no further problems 1 week later pup sorted back in my bed and no seperation issues. Yes it may seem soft and i did feel a bit of a prick doing it, but it sorted the problem and settled the pup. Its easy to mock when you havent had a real screamer. I shoud say i got rid of the crate as the pup was clearly associating it with being left alone, all the best with the pup. Whatever you do i would say do it quick as has already stated, as the longer it goes on the more likely the pup is to habitually whine, cheers Matt

a real screamer mate i had to give my dog away a few weeks ago due to the fact it was a more on wouldn listen since day one he was a winger and done evryting except sleep with it even at near a year still whined when left on his own no need for it some dogs are just brain dead some pick up but if carrys on after a certain age well then its best off being in a home where it can live in royalty and have its own sofa lol never again would i put up with it a year of it no tanxs if i do get a pup it will be out the back from the day i get no in the house for it 2 winge when put back outside not a hope

Theres a difference between a pup that has the odd whine and one thats is clearly distressed when left alone and i didnt have the option of leaving the pup to whine itself to sleep for weeks as the neighbours had a small baby and sleep deprivation was setting in lol i was also in the forces at the time and didnt fancy explaining to the WO why i was half baked at work. I also have to add that i dont agree that initially settling the pup in this situation down as suggested (previous post) will lead to a clingy or whiny dog in the future. The fact was in my situation the pup clearly wasnt settling at night and when it did with the help of a roll mat, all panned out well. This dog now an adult has travelled all across the country lived in various houses, stayed in kennells, family and friends houses, tents etc and hasnt whined anywhere when alone or with other dogs and certainly isnt a clingy dog cheers Matt

• Like 1