paying that sort of money for a border out of as someone says good bushing/ratting sire and just a ratting dam is laughable my god the good ol border is doomed in the future. if you s so called saviours of the border worked them proper breed out of tested bitches and shared the spare pups out among like minded lads it would suit a lot better also heard a so called border worker say on here on a diff post one time i paid so much money for the dam of the pups why should i give them away for free i need too get my money back the bitch had cost 400 he had 6 pup for sale at 450 each if i remember correctly thats 2700 in total he was getting his money back alright greedy cnut .

• Like 6

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have a spayed border bitch , before xmass i was after border dog to work with her I got in touch with a bloke from this forum called Dave mac , he told me hemight have a pup available in the spring

paying that sort of money for a border out of as someone says good bushing/ratting sire and just a ratting dam is laughable my god the good ol border is doomed in the future. if you s so called saviou

Money and the show ring ruination of the border terrier and all you quoting prices to justify yourselves does not make you right or the wee border better because of the prices you charge... Glad I'm l

Posted Images

Dee about 6 year ago i actually bought a working border dog of a chap i know for 300 euro.This dog was 3 to 4 year old at the time and came with a proper trial with no money parting until i was happy with said dog.The dog was dug to twice on his 1st day out with me and again dug twice before i contacted its owner.He was a very reliable dog,great finder and stayed the distance,little hard for his own good but he could not be faulted for that as that was his way of working which was to be the end of him after my diging mate had a very hard 8ft dig to him and 2 days later rusty died even though my mate had him with vet and tried everything he could to save him.When we had him we tried to find a suitable working bitch to buy or even get a pup from but when we finialy got in contact with a reliable border worker our dog was dead.There is a lot of rubbish been bred in the borders,mostly for show but there still can be good working stuff got if you know the right connections and at a proper working mans price.I have worked a few down through the years and when you have a good border you have a good terrier.

• Like 5

Their are a few good digging borders I'm sure but there well in decline and IMO I think their f****d now . ya don't here as good thing bout this breed as you do bout others. It's unfortunate but it's been realistic bout the breed. But the few keeping the small amount of good borders going fare play and I wish them all the luck in the world .

• Like 2

Dee about 6 year ago i actually bought a working border dog of a chap i know for 300 euro.This dog was 3 to 4 year old at the time and came with a proper trial with no money parting until i was happy with said dog.The dog was dug to twice on his 1st day out with me and again dug twice before i contacted its owner.He was a very reliable dog,great finder and stayed the distance,little hard for his own good but he could not be faulted for that as that was his way of working which was to be the end of him after my diging mate had a very hard 8ft dig to him and 2 days later rusty died even though my mate had him with vet and tried everything he could to save him.When we had him we tried to find a suitable working bitch to buy or even get a pup from but when we finialy got in contact with a reliable border worker our dog was dead.There is a lot of rubbish been bred in the borders,mostly for show but there still can be good working stuff got if you know the right connections and at a proper working mans price.I have worked a few down through the years and when you have a good border you have a good terrier.

im not doubting that there are some good one s still left out there fat man and 300 euro is not a bad price for a working dog but surely you cannnot condone these clowns asking stupid prices for pups out of ratters in my opinion these people are in it more for the money than the actually working side of the breed at end of day its a bad terrier that wont kill a rat collies lurchers etc even excell at this type of work then on the other side of the coin you have the lads that breed and work there dogs proper be it russellls lakies black dogs etc they always have a decent worker in there yard and breed when they need a pup any spare given too mates an like minded lads not a mention of money that is why there dogs will always be superior too the a55holes who d rather make a quick buck selling pups and medicore dogs and its the idiots that buy these dogs that will keep them doing what there doing its actually quite sad and i ve no time for these people at all too be honest i ve more respect for there quarry the rat than them !
  • Like 1

I totally agree with you dee that the prices that people are charging for non working bred pups let alone workers is ridiculas.Good working bred pups of any breed are geting harder to find now and then you have the wankers advertising pups as this,that,and the other breeding and not a word about it,all lies.I know 1 man whose name has been attached to a few different dogs of late and all completely lies just to sell pups and there is always some unfortunate egitt that will believe them and buy and then they in turn will sell there offspring using the same mans name as the breeding resulting in breeding shite and giving the mans dogs a bad name.I have a bitch in pup at the minute and its the 1st time ive bred a bitch in a long time for various reasons but the resulting pups all going well will be shared out among friends.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a spayed border bitch , before xmass i was after border dog to work with her I got in touch with a bloke from this forum called Dave mac , he told me hemight have a pup available in the spring , i thought no more about it then i got a pm telling me there was a pup if i wanted it , me and my wife traveled from durham on saturday to pick up a beauty blue and tan dog pup from working lines,Dave could have got at least threetimes the money that i paid him ,all he wanted was the dog to get a working and permanant home , which i garrantee he will , Dave is in the game for his love of the working border , not money , and is a man of his word and not a man who says one thing and does another .

• Like 7

Before i got the Fell/Patt£250 ive got now i looked at Borders as old friends had them 30 year ago,they were hard quite dogs,i realy wanted one but wern't going to pay £450 for one! I feel their beauty,the beard etc was their downfall,they were the start of this small dog craze! The dog ive got know works aswell as any Border of past so dont be drawn into the farce paying that sought of money,you'll just add fuel to to the Fire!

terrier prices in general have gone daft,in my personal opinion, i had a litter of borders last year, from good workers, i asked 200 for them, and had a lot of messers saying they,d have one, i kept a dog back for myself, sold one and gave one to my boy, in the end i could,nt keep the dog ,and he went to a good working home, they wernt kc, just worker to worker, to many people jumping on the band wagon to make money, 3yrs ago i gave a pup to a so called friend in the hope that when the pup came on id get a pup back, ive since learned the dog was sold on, not happy, id never give a pup away again, so it no wonder there is no trust,the pup that a lad bought from me is coming on good and ive have no qualms in having one should he find a good bitch to put him over,

This is the bit I don't quite understand, in this instance it's border terriers but check the threads and it's various other breeds where people are lamenting the demise of working dogs/lines. Here's an idea, get together, there are enough people on this thread alone spouting about lack of working lines, buy them, rear them, work them, for a few seasons and spread them amongst yourselves, not rocket science, or is it just easier to sit and moan about a breeds passing rather than actually getting off your arse and doing something about it. There's forty thousand members on here, even allowing for 3/4 being halfwits/antis/police there should still be enough to ensure working breeds and strains survive.

• Like 3

From what I've read the border has never been a thriving breed. It's the same old song and dance for the past 80 years as far as books tell the history. The tale goes that they are late to start and don't have high percentages even when bred worker to worker. It's a pity. I really like what i hear about borders and if I could get a brace of good ones I would but the risk of wasting my time is too high at the moment with the state my yard is in. Forget about money, who wants to spend two years time and time again waiting for a dog to turn out then it never does. On the other side of the coin I agree with bigdaz. It's gotta be easier to find a worker when you live in the country of the dogs origin than it would be for some of us who have to search high and low and go on faith alone to get good dogs.

• Like 1
Guest sparky

£1000 for a working terrier id get a good pat and a new car for that no border is worth 1000 quid

I think we are worlds apart lad i was offered 1200 pound for my border bitch she is bred the same way . But would not take it agood gun dog line are fetching good money so if you are passionate about the breed and the WORKING side , and breeding good honest WORKING border pups instead of flooding the market with non workers. It take a long time to get a good line but so very easy to lose it ;)

£1200 i would be proud to own a dog worth that sort of money, just out of interest how many

digs have you had to your bitch, and whats her style of work,how long has she stayed..... cheers

This is the bit I don't quite understand, in this instance it's border terriers but check the threads and it's various other breeds where people are lamenting the demise of working dogs/lines. Here's an idea, get together, there are enough people on this thread alone spouting about lack of working lines, buy them, rear them, work them, for a few seasons and spread them amongst yourselves, not rocket science, or is it just easier to sit and moan about a breeds passing rather than actually getting off your arse and doing something about it. There's forty thousand members on here, even allowing for 3/4 being halfwits/antis/police there should still be enough to ensure working breeds and strains survive.

its easyer for the half wits to spout shit , than do some thing about it,all talk and no action, or hands on exspirence,out of the 40,000 members i doubt if 50 of them have ever dug to a dog,thanks darlo keep in touch by phone as this place is full of them.