german shepherd X greyhound

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just had a few days summertime ferreting (pest control in nz)with my white shepherd bitch and my 3/4 grey 1/4 white shepherd bitch   All the rabbits are to be killed whatever their

mate i couldnt give feck what you think and i think you know that, i will be going to few local shows this summer , come over and tell me again what you think of me , just in case i forget as yo

And all this from an add on donedeal for a lurcher pup,this site is ferkin amazing,lol.

Posted Images

p

I was shocked at the amount of turkeys I saw running around the hillsides on the south island when I was last over, glad to hear they are doing something with em no one could give me a straight answer when I asked about it. Also, for those who have never been, NZ is really hunter friendly. Even going across the ditch from Oz I was blown away with how open and pleasant about it everyone was. I was even ready a hunting mag on a plane from Dunedin to Christchurch and one of the air hostesses started asking me what I hunted, where, what sort of guns I had etc it was a great feeling

got a mate who sister moved there 15 years ago, he been over few times and told how great it is for working dogs there.they use any type of breed as long as it does the job wanted. they use boxerxlab for wild pigs . like germhound says the 1x gsd xgrey like Buck would do great there with its speed/agilty and good stamina and its power and guts for wild pigs,and do deer rabbits as well , pity there no foxes there, as they do them as well. its one country i love to go to, but to old now, maybe if won the lotto as most countrys let you in with money, hope me numbers come up lol

• Like 1

A few more pics of the team

Dweezil

DSCN6038.jpg

Probably Zappas last rabbit , he's retired now

DSCN6042.jpg

The full team

DSCN6043.jpg

Dweezil again, 31 inches and about 84lbs and a bit toothless

IMG013.jpg

The team a few months back, although the white shepherd on the right is getting phased out.

CAM00027.jpg

IMG167.jpg

The team at the office

11864881_10206272701872886_2428238292412

The other office

11728928_10206272702032890_3498039388209

11807559_10206272700792859_6452915794572

it looks a nice place to be wondering about with the dogs does that germhound. how hove you found that terrain for those 3/4 breds?

A few more pics of the team

Dweezil

DSCN6038.jpg

Probably Zappas last rabbit , he's retired now

DSCN6042.jpg

The full team

DSCN6043.jpg

Dweezil again, 31 inches and about 84lbs and a bit toothless

IMG013.jpg

The team a few months back, although the white shepherd on the right is getting phased out.

CAM00027.jpg

IMG167.jpg

The team at the office

11864881_10206272701872886_2428238292412

The other office

11728928_10206272702032890_3498039388209

11807559_10206272700792859_6452915794572

it looks a nice place to be wondering about with the dogs does that germhound. how hove you found that terrain for those 3/4 breds?

Yeah be interesting to hear about how the 3/4 breds cope, or is it two thirds bred, can never get my head around that equation?! Lol

Trigger2 & Shaaark ,the terrain I work them over is very variable. From flat paddocks with short grass to long grass, thick scrub thin scrub , rocky shit , woodlands, hills and the likes .

The 3/4 x's cope pretty well with the terrain, to be honest they just get on with it where ever we go, I don't pick my grounds to work them as such, except when lamping then usually we go to the paddocks, not always though.

We always seem to have hard ground though , baked in the summer and frozen in the winter, we get the extremes of both temp ranges where I live, rarely do we get nice soft pasture to run on . They get their fair share of knock ups and sometimes they seem to come home lame often,that goes in phases , especially when the bounce into the rocks, but they recover well . Becca went over a small bluff last year chasing a bunny when lamping, probably 30 ft or more but came back up running. I checked her over none the worse for the experience and she was away. But then I've taken them for a run on a sandy beach and had one go lame ! Keeping their nails trimmed well is my little thing , I reckon it helps stop their toes getting knocked up .

The 3/4 are not as robust as the 1/2 x in my opinion , more agile and faster but they are just that tad more fragile, skin is thinner , tears more easily , coat is thinner so feel the cold more, so if it's a wet or snowy day and they get wet thru they can go downhill a bit when just hanging about, but they don't overheat when running except in the summer . There's a good amount of water most places I go , they spend a fair bit of time cooling off in the water during hot days/nights.

They will take to the water quite readily, fly up rock tors after prey (usually a possum), cover most ground well and at pace, will work with someone using a shotty about them. I work then in tussock where they do a lot of jumping and bounding , that can take a toll on them it wears them out quickly. If their looking tired I will rest them up for a bit , then get on . Becca will get into any cover and hunt away, Dweezil will also but is a bit more gangly so finds it harder and prefers to wait whilst the others are in the cover, I'll occasionally find Dweezil in the cover and Becca watching an waiting. Rarely do they pull up and stop working except when really buggered.

I've only ever owned 2 other running dogs that were'nt gsd crosses so it's difficult for me to compare to how other dogs would fair in the same environment. I think one of them would of coped fine, but the other one did'nt cope at all .

Hope this answers your question. If you want me to be more specific ask away I'll do my best to answer.

Cheers

Edited by Germhound
  • Like 3

Just had a few days summertime ferreting (pest control in nz)with my white shepherd bitch and my 3/4 grey 1/4 white shepherd bitch

DSC_0086.jpg

DSC_0084.jpg

DSC_0082.jpg

DSC_0066.jpg

DSC_0058.jpg

DSC_0057.jpg

DSC_0055.jpg

DSC_0040.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

All the rabbits are to be killed whatever their size , the dogs are allowed to grab them in the nets as the small ones just shoot thru and those small ones that close the net don't stay in them for long.

This has just made me very happy! We have been considering a move for some time now and I got the sulks a bit as I was told that there is no ferreting in NZ :laugh:... I know there's loads of other hunting etc.to be done, but I do love my ferreting... How's it work over there? I know with native species, ferrets are a potential threat, are you licensed in some way or can you just crack on like over here?

Just had a few days summertime ferreting (pest control in nz)with my white shepherd bitch and my 3/4 grey 1/4 white shepherd bitch

DSC_0086.jpg

DSC_0084.jpg

DSC_0082.jpg

DSC_0066.jpg

DSC_0058.jpg

DSC_0057.jpg

DSC_0055.jpg

DSC_0040.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

All the rabbits are to be killed whatever their size , the dogs are allowed to grab them in the nets as the small ones just shoot thru and those small ones that close the net don't stay in them for long.

This has just made me very happy! We have been considering a move for some time now and I got the sulks a bit as I was told that there is no ferreting in NZ :laugh:... I know there's loads of other hunting etc.to be done, but I do love my ferreting... How's it work over there? I know with native species, ferrets are a potential threat, are you licensed in some way or can you just crack on like over here?

Snifferboy , from what I can gather you have to have a permit from the Ministry of Primary Industries and the Department of Conservation to keep a ferret and a reason to keep one( pest control being one reason ) . Then permission to use a ferret, this would probably have to be from private land owners . You can't buy, sell or pass a ferret on , you can't breed them , you can keep up to 3 , you have to have them neutered. So you have to trap a wild one and tame it down. I'm probably going to keep a hob , now that I have him good to handle and he works ok and I'll get him neutered or vasectomised. I've just had a quote of the vets of $150 + . Not sure whether you have to get your ferret neutered before you get permits or after you get a permits.

Next year I'll get another one all going well.

This is what I have found out so far , I,ll find out properly when I apply for a permit. A fair bit of work but hopefully it will be worth it.

I work for the Dept of Conservation, where I work we trap around 300 ferrets a year in various traps , I got quite a few bloodied and sore fingers before I got one to handle .

When you thinking of coming out and to which island ?

Edited by Germhound

My gsd x pup 7 months now catching rabbits nice on the lamp

that's actually very nice . Was expecting s big lump of a dog but that looks like it could shift
he's got some good speed on him hes catching rabbits on the run now I'm pleased how the litter has turned out

DSC_0086.jpg

DSC_0084.jpg

DSC_0082.jpg

DSC_0066.jpg

DSC_0058.jpg

DSC_0057.jpg

DSC_0055.jpg

DSC_0040.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

Snifferboy , from what I can gather you have to have a permit from the Ministry of Primary Industries and the Department of Conservation to keep a ferret and a reason to keep one( pest control being one reason ) . Then permission to use a ferret, this would probably have to be from private land owners . You can't buy, sell or pass a ferret on , you can't breed them , you can keep up to 3 , you have to have them neutered. So you have to trap a wild one and tame it down. I'm probably going to keep a hob , now that I have him good to handle and he works ok and I'll get him neutered or vasectomised. I've just had a quote of the vets of $150 + . Not sure whether you have to get your ferret neutered before you get permits or after you get a permits.

Next year I'll get another one all going well.

This is what I have found out so far , I,ll find out properly when I apply for a permit. A fair bit of work but hopefully it will be worth it.

I work for the Dept of Conservation, where I work we trap around 300 ferrets a year in various traps , I got quite a few bloodied and sore fingers before I got one to handle .

When you thinking of coming out and to which island ?

It's all pie in the sky at the moment and depends on a number of different things but when I sell my house we will be out for a holiday on the North Island to see what its all about and if we want to bite the bullet. I didn't realise that ferrets were already over there in the wild, seems like the country gets battered by practically every non native going... Seems like a lot of hoops you have to jump through to be able to keep a ferret over there, but understandable...

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...