Countrymans weekly arrogance . . .

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm not sure why, but i quite often buy the countrymans weekly, it's something to read in work, where they have now blocked the hunting life on the computer. I can usually guarentee that there will be

its not even been fit for arse wiping for years ...

I'd say you definatly learn fieldcraft, and efficiency over time served. But you can def also pick up some kind of genius idea off someone who has been doing it for a season and is just a smart guy. A

Posted Images

The thing is the countrymans like here there's topics that come round each season every year and if we all got along it would be boring so you need a odd nut ball. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Maybe but its too easy to bruise a rabbit chopping away at them ive seen them bruised from the neck down over the shoulders you never get that chinning them

See i hit the head / neck, rather than neck / shoulders. So no bruised meat. Usually they just bleed out the nose, like the brain has been mushed.

as you know jai i neck mine and youve seen some of them they are like giraffe rabbits

Maybe but its too easy to bruise a rabbit chopping away at them ive seen them bruised from the neck down over the shoulders you never get that chinning them

See i hit the head / neck, rather than neck / shoulders. So no bruised meat. Usually they just bleed out the nose, like the brain has been mushed.

as you know jai i neck mine and youve seen some of them they are like giraffe rabbits
  • Like 1

Jai, I might have missed something here as I read page one then skipped to page 4 (sorry!)

But in the late 70's I used to read a mag that was given to me second hand from the head keeper, called Gamekeeper Weekly (monthly).

Whether it was because I was just starting out and naive, or whether it was because it was a mag written by keepers for keepers, which I doubt, as I have never met one that has had the time to write one, but I really enjoyed it.

Again the countryman weekly is something again I get secondhand, in return for a bit of rabbit and mole control, but only a few times a year, so it aint that bad. It has never inspired me to buy it though, which I couldnt afford to anyway, with kids, high maintanance wife, ferrets and young patterdale. :D

ATB mate

If you are unhappy with the content of the paper then why not contribute? as diverse opinions will only improve the magazine.

I'd wholeheartedly agree with that sentiment. Same goes for EDRD.

I'm all for new writers and I'd love to see some fresh blood coming through.

its all right looking for new writers its finding the men with the depth of knowledge what is closley gaurded at times ,or kept to there own kind , plenty writers not plenty men who have the backbone to back up the deeds legal or other wise ,and knowledge

Why don't you have a go then Whin? You've done a bit in your time.

If you don’t like it write something? At least we have a fieldsports paper on the shelves of newsagents for general sale it can only be a good thing IMO.

I agree I have read some amazing pieces of fantasy full of crazy statements which any average hunter will see right through their errors and lack of experience are obvious.

I also think the rabbit chop is generally a very poor way of killing rabbits, I can’t say i have seen anyone do it that well, just looks an amateur way to kill rabbits thats for sure. Just pull the necks/chin them its way easier and looks more humane if you working in a public area. ;) ;)

Edited by Sirius

The thing about CW is since the ban you can only really write about certain subjects, so it becomes repetitive, take Ferreting, Dog marks, fert goes in, rabbit bolts or you dig,, I did like Penny Taylors column, found it usually interesting,

I bought it recently for six months, but gave up, I was reading it in five mins, still found for sale column interesting, but as been said, its not a patch on the old SN, I used to look forward to that.

Dont think I would buy it again.

Some very good points, and when i get round to pulling my finger out, i'll write something and we can all pull it apart on here :laugh:

As to the idea that 'well at least we have a country sports paper' - but to be honest a lot of times with the cmw, it's a case of, who needs enemies, when you have a friend like that.

My biggest gripe is that the editor plays a very poor role, if it was me, i would read the articles before they went to print and look out for any obviously nonsense opinion, not to mention hassling decent writers for some articles.

I can only assume that most folk who chop rabbits do it poorly, as if done correctly, its probably even quicker than a stretch, just as humane / quick, and looks just as humane / professional in public. You are not swinging your arms about like Jackie Chane, it's a short, sharp tap to the back of the skull.

• Like 1

aye get the Whinster to write a few articles, nowt wrong with a bit controversy and keep the editor on his toes :hmm::D

seriously though a few of the comments being made suggest writing something a bit different from the usual to make said paper a little more interesting, If an article/articles were written in a historical sense would it make print or would it be so watered down so as not to upset the anti hunters, we wouldn,t want any unwanted attention now would we :hmm: