• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

plenty roadwalking freerunning on the bike and running on pals lure machine

plenty of free running

just taking them out be it day work, road walking or just mooching in general the more there out the fitter they get

My dog has had all his normal exercise , free running and running for a few miles with me but hasn't been out lamping for about 2 weeks for different reasons

Took him out for a few runs on lamp tonight and I was shocked at how much fitness he had lost and how much longer it took him to recover!

Free running and work....out of season i will run them behind the wagon starting off at a steady trot then up to a sprint then back down to a trot and so on helping recovery rate and building all round fitness.

Just let the dogs run free beside me on my daily 12 mile run :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: ..i fecking wish haha. We are pretty much the same as Giro..if they ain't getting ran for any reason (moon,weather etc:) then it's 8 mile behind the bike plus their general walks two or three times a day..the "extra" running is only during the hunting season though..after that it's just daily walks and a bit of swimming for them. ATB Andy. ;)

Edited to add..also now and again one of the dogs like a good few runs with the tennis ball ...infact i'd hazard a guess and say it prefers that rather than a slog behind the bike lol..keeps it's eye in at picking up too chasing & striking the ball after it's been dispatched via one of those tennis ball launcher "thingy's" lol

Edited by poacherspocket22

In the winter it’s mainly lamping with a cross country run with me a couple of times a week and a least one rest day plus there usual walks to empty.

In the summer, after a couple of weeks rest time at the end of the season, its runs of 3 to 10 miles X5 a week plus ball work and swimming in sea or river.

I have not had to work on a dog's fitness for some year's now but when working i never done anything other than run them regular..when the run's start drying up and the weather warming up. i would give them 3 mile a day running along side the peddle bike..and plenty of run's on the beach..i would go the the shore line where it is nice and flat and continuously throw a golf ball which would roll for some distance on the flat's..the dog's used to love it and when they get a bit warm they would jump in the sea to cool of..my elbows and shoulder is fooked now so i will be getting one of them tennis ball chucker's what Andy has suggested.. :D ..for this up and coming pup.

Guest born to run1083

when running behind the van, how many miles do you guys do. I just did 4 miles with mine but never sure if its enough or too much. ?

It depends on the individual dog and how fit they are, just build up gradual, when I used to do it, I used to do 5 miles behind the truck then half hour to hour free run. used to keep fit enough as they get it hard enough and kept fit enough through working

take mine out every day for two hours bushing so the dog is running up and down hills on the bunnies then when i get in from work at midnight out on the lamp for a hour on the local fields keeps him fit never done that running after the car thing lazy way atb