Pure Greyhound....or Pure Saluki ??

When I first got into this game, many years go, my first love was daytime Coursing, and I thought back then that the pure Greyhound was the ultimate coursing dog. I came to realise, that for what I did, the Lurcher was a better bet, then along came the Saluki Hybrids, undoubtably the best hare dogs; but now, has the Greyhound fallen behind even the pure Saluki ? Are we needing less and less pure Greyhound in our running dogs, or do we still need to add the Greyhound blood every so often ?

Cheers.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My choice would be saluki every time and thats not baised on wat ive read in books but wat i have seen with my own eyes and imho a greyhound should only be used to produce first crosses then never use

You need initial speed in the blood be it from whippet or greyhound there has to be something in their mix to give the acceleration. Saluki blood adds stamina but if you can't put a turn on it before

I like your post mate, and I agree totally. Greyhounds are mega keen sighthounds in their own right. There are few decent lurchers about that dont owe a great deal to the greyhound. But I find it a bi

You need initial speed in the blood be it from whippet or greyhound there has to be something in their mix to give the acceleration. Saluki blood adds stamina but if you can't put a turn on it before it hits cover then you lose your big ears. So my verdict is yes you need quick blood and the reason hybrids rule is coz they have the best of both.

• Like 4

i think saying you dont need the greyhound is doing this great breed of running dog a grave injustice yes for hares the saluki every time i keep three of this cross myself but imo for anything else the greyhound blood will be there a lot quicker with more fire and drive to catch it s quarry .

• Like 2

You need initial speed in the blood be it from whippet or greyhound there has to be something in their mix to give the acceleration. Saluki blood adds stamina but if you can't put a turn on it before it hits cover then you lose your big ears. So my verdict is yes you need quick blood and the reason hybrids rule is coz they have the best of both.

:thumbs: