Metal Detecting

Any body on here do any? I started last year and have about 60 old coins, a couple of nice silver ones from 1570 included, in fact I dont think iv ever been on a field and not found at least one coin.

Just wondering if any other THL memers do any?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My mate got one so we gave it a go   We dug up half a beach within 20 yrds, before we realised he had steel toecapped boots on,,,,, the twat !! :laugh: true story

took a mate out a few months ago with his found a silver penny from 1200 and something or other, dont think its for me though, ive got a very low boredom threshold

Me also, just cant afford the detector

Any body on here do any? I started last year and have about 60 old coins, a couple of nice silver ones from 1570 included, in fact I dont think iv ever been on a field and not found at least one coin.

took a mate out a few months ago with his found a silver penny from 1200 and something or other, dont think its for me though, ive got a very low boredom threshold :laugh:
  • Like 2

I have a minelab,Hampton court Palace and windsor castle are on the doorstep,and a local town was the most important crossing point on the thames for miles around(the museum is packed with roman artefacts)I have found masses of roman grots bits of this that and the other,best place I ever used it was Pattaya in Thailand,I went to the beach at maybe 1am just to avoid the crowds,I found some 24k jewellery(a bracelet and a necklace because I had a decent sized coil) and bumped into a thai detectorist who had a number of really good rings,its quite disconcerting wearing headphones and deaf to the world when a lady-boy looms out of the darkness with his/her drunken client in tow :icon_eek:

I've always wanted to give it a go, but the talk on the radio at the moment is, they might be going to make people who use them on the beach's get a license to use one, :censored:

Wouldn't surprise me. :angry:

took a mate out a few months ago with his found a silver penny from 1200 and something or other, dont think its for me though, ive got a very low boredom threshold :laugh:

so hav I pal, I only manage an hour or so at a time but it seems thats enough, I have hardly been out and not found at least 1 coin.

I have hardly been out and not found at least 1 coin.

Under the swings in the local park are wood-chippings to protect kids and cushion their fall should they slip from a swing I guess?I took my kid over there one night,an easy detect I thought just to give him interest and confidence in the machines ability,he found just over £17,didnt even really have to dig,scuffed aside the chippings with his shoe whenever he got a signal :laugh:i have picked up some deep targets over there with an 18.5 inch coil,but never dug them as I didnt want to remove the turf.

Most decent detectors nowadays can discriminate Moll,they can tell the difference between ferrous and non-ferrous,get a minelab with an LCD which has a depth indicator etc,the display shows you what the machine interprets the signal as being,coin,ring,junk etc,you also learn your own machines signals,a coin with a high silver content has a very distinct tone totally different sound from a pound coin etc,theres even a detector disguised as a walking stick :laugh: