pigs in uk

even if they did stumble across a boar they wouldn't have a clue what to do.

i do i call dogs back on lead an turn round and walk back other way,

the couple times ive come across them is with dogs more suitable to rabbits.

ive only had one dog with the constitution to stand up to one.

and he aint here now he got rehomed.

Spot on mate! Unless you're going equipped to deal with them, it's the only sensible option. You should get one of those beddy x whippets that pull the fallow single handed, they'd be well up to the task! :laugh:

Don't knock the cross mate I av one here with 3 legs that takes every thing single handed even boar no need to help him eather

Lol!!!! I'm a big fan of the beddy x whippets. The ones that I've seen have obviously been sub standard examples. It's fantastic that people are entering them to such testing quarry. I'm just popping down to Regents Park myself. My bans old Cavalier King Charles spaniel is going to have a run on the lions, although as he's untried I might slip him doubled up with her budgie!

• Like 1

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I dont know where to start.........not many of u have any idea about Pig hunting.........one dog can catch a pig this is how we here in NZ judge a good dog if it cant catch on its own its only a mutt.

kev you aint got a good dog for them then weve had plenty some inthe freezer now may have another before xmas

typical rifle man no sport in shooting game imo its alot better and enjoyable seeing a dog you brought on as a pup to do the job in hand jmo

Posted Images

Christ! A lot of the stuff posted on here make pretty embassassing reading. I never knew there were so many 'wild' boar experts in the 'UK'. I'm almost squirming at what our American, Ozzy and Kiwi friends must be thinking... all the dvd discussion and the 'he said, she said his mates best friends brother did whatever'. Where's Ned Makim when you need him to bang your heads together.

Edited to say nice pic stabs - you still over there?

Edited by Yokel Matt
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Isn't a pig dog a catch dog that holds the pig till its dispatched

I carnt see how any one would take the chance with a wild boar with one dog

What's the best

American Bull Dogs ?

Pit xs

I'd think a 75 lb to 95 lb dog can hold one of them till it's dispatched

I think that's the diffrence with American bull dogs they hold the pig and don't try and fight it' you wouldn't want a dog letting go while your in range of them tusks & teeth

. I don't care how much weight you say you can lift in your willy measuring contest, you won't be lifting the back leg of a mature boar and sticking a knife in.

Are you being serious?

He probably is being serious, Stabs, as he has never seen it before ! Although I think I'd prefer the .308 myself !! LOL !!

nz2.jpg

Cheers.

Edited by chartpolski

I remember the first time I lifted a pig Richie...I was pushed off the back of a ute by my mates who were pissing themselves laughing and I tipped the boar and prayed and prayed the dogs wouldn't let go! :laugh: I needn't have worried though as Ian Colley's Bonnie and his mates 3/4 bred Dane "Duke" had tight hold. It's all on dvd too to my embarassment :D I was shitting myself but after that you just get stuck right in and you don't even think about it.

Little porker we stopped helping himself to some oats back in 2001/2

post-32-0-95085900-1325798563.jpg

As I say, I'd prefere the .308... you wouldn't get me near one of those big buggers with a knife !! There are pleanty who do the job with a knife though !! That pic was in Nz 20 odd year ago, and the lads I was with, from Tokaroa, used guns, but they have been known to use a knife at times !!

Cheers.

I've never used anything other than a knife on them Richie. I don't like using the guns when there's a dog on the pig. I've got a nice Muelay (sp?) pig sticker now, but back then we used an old Mauser bayonet.

Ian Colley's Bonnie and me with a pig we had to drag out of deep brambles after my best mate's old dog Ben found where others had missed.

post-32-0-57100900-1325799208.jpg

The white bitch at the back of that photo?

Arab with a dash of stag

She was the dam to the dog in the foreground. Sire was a mix of bull terriers of various types and wolfhound - he was the best I've ever seen.

. I don't care how much weight you say you can lift in your willy measuring contest, you won't be lifting the back leg of a mature boar and sticking a knife in.

Are you being serious?

He probably is being serious, Stabs, as he has never seen it before ! Although I think I'd prefer the .308 myself !! LOL !!

nz2.jpg

Cheers.

What do you mean? I've never seen it before? A picture of you besides a truck holding a rifle doesn't prove anything. I've done a bit, closer to home than NZ, although one of my best pals lives in Nelson, overlooking the river.

In France the dogs we used were fox terriers, the pigs weren't stuck though, they were shot whilst at bay.

If you want to lick someone's jacksie, crack on, just don't try and mug me off in the process. You ain't the only bloke who's been to NZ and you don't need a .308 for pigs, there's plenty taken with .223's.