failed workers

there`s been alot of talk about failed workers on other post, but what is a failed worker? with terriers is a bit simpler but with lurchers its a very grey area. lets say a lad purchased a dog to catch a spercific quarry, say a 3/4 bull whippit and then the lad discovered it wasnt up to the specific job he wanted the dog to do. he then sold the dog on, and was honest as to why he was selling it. with its new owner it then proved to be an outstanding dog on all other quarry. would this be a failed worker?? or would it be just a case that the origanal owner made the wrong choice of dog in the first place. one mans failure is another mans sucsess, the dog could never be classed as an allrounder but is there such a thing?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well thats your opinion, in mine if more people culled there would be a lot less in rescue centres, dumped, sold on the merry go round and alot less shit out there

I was given a dog before that was classed as a failed fox dog (collie/ghound x bull/ghound)and i gave him to a friend of mine because he wouldn't settle in my yard with my other dogs,but the lad i gav

If ye buy a pup or adult dog for a specific task and it cant fulfil that task its a failure and no good to ye simples,if the dog can fulfil other tasks for somebody else and there happy with it fair e

Posted Images

I was given a dog before that was classed as a failed fox dog (collie/ghound x bull/ghound)and i gave him to a friend of mine because he wouldn't settle in my yard with my other dogs,but the lad i gave him to worked him on rabbits for a few months during the day and a bit of lamping but not much and 1 day he came out with me doing a bit of digging and when we broke into a fox and removed the terrier this dog drawed the fox like a seasoned wheaten and this gave my mate a taste of this sort of quarry and he start coming lamping foxes and from then on that dog was killing fox single handed no bother.the dog was classed as a failed dog but in my mates eyes even before he switched back on he was a good dog for what he wanted and a bit of confidence working other game brought him back,IMHO i think some people are too quick to write a dog off sometimes every dog can have a bad day or even a few bad days for many reasons,some will bounce back and some wouldn't but more than often it's the owner fault and not the dogs.JMHO :bye:

• Like 5

if theres bull in the mix that for one thing combat.......fox dog back in the day ..... so if the coice of quary was rabbit then why put bull in it ....but most failed dog come with a book of excuses to back up there down falls its when the new owner makes out the dog can do things thay carnt and then breed from it ....this is when jo public buys a pup and thay end up with a load of shit....as well.. :yes: ...atb x38

• Like 1

Some people want it all in the first season, I'm lucky most of my pups ended up in the right homes and are doing well but two where wasted one rushed and failed at 12 months old lol and the other has been given to a woman as a pet ffs, next time I need a pup ill be culling so they dont have the chance to end up with idiots.

• Like 2

good post , you will always have failed workers.What people forget is even from top class parents that have been tested to the full, you still get pups in the litter that (dont) pick up there genes from mom+dad. just look at people you can have some who are doctor or pro boxers etc ... dont mean the kids will follow suit. With dogs apbt, not all fron the same litter will make top+game fighting dog ,you might 2 from 8 pups that will be as good as there parents, same with racing dogs or sheep dogs you get good'ns but alot never make it .!! So with a lurcher just the same you need that bit of luck when you pick (your) pup. :yes:

I agree with bird to some extent, but with lurchers, there's very few that won't work to some degree.

Far too many dogs have been classed as 'failed', and passed on because they simply didn't match the exagerated achievements of some of the dogs their owners have read and heard about, so they get rid and continue their search for that ultimate beast. Sad but true.

Edited by kenny14
  • Like 4

Problem is to many people talk sh*t about a dog when saleing one if people are stright with each other then who ever buys the dog knows what there getting .but some people are easyier pleased than others .i dont like a dog that isnt a allrounder whats in the beam it does so therfore if it didnt suit me its a failed worker to me but could b a smashing dog at other stuff so when id part with the dog who ever buys it is told stright no shit talk if more done the same there wouldnt b so much failed workers about

• Like 2

I dont think many dogs will be a total "fail", its up to the individual owner to decide if he/she is happy with the standard of the dog and thats a very different thing to a "failure"

• Like 1

The problem is not failed dogs its to many dogs bred on a whim pups bought as a novelty or fashion accessory then passed on without a second thought.

Pedlars breeding pups for profit.

People buying adult dogs on sites like this and out of free ads papers expecting to buy made dogs because there to lazy to rear pups.

• Like 2

People buying adult dogs on sites like this and out of free ads papers expecting to buy made dogs because there to lazy to rear pups.

How is that 2 year old beddy/collie/greyhound you bought off that bloke last month doing Josy?

• Like 1

How is that 2 year old beddy/collie/greyhound you bought off that bloke last month doing Josy?

It came in season and is now in pup :laugh:

Edited by Josy
  • Like 1

the dog in my avatar is such a dog,,, i bought her at 2 years old,, for £60 at melton cattle market,, on a whim,, never bought an adut in my life.

lad that sold her told me she wernt good enough for coursing,, he was in to saluki types and she just wernt good enough. to be fair to him she had about 3 mins in the tank,, wich is good for a dog thats whipp/grey x deer/grey... but not good enough for some of the 5 min gruelers on the fens

anyway i cought plenty hares ,roe ,muntys loads of rabbits,,retrived live to hand... she wone the windmill double handed in 2003, and runner up the following year. all in all a great dog to me