airedale

im really sorry if ive opened a can of worms on this subject it wasnt my intention but what i will say is i mentioned nothing of breeding or airedale x greyhound or any lurcher mix i just wanted to know how the airedale will work ALONG side a lurcher in bushing general mooching ratting foxing if its not ideal then i will no longer pursue the airedale as a potential working dog

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

you'd think skycat was the first person to ever cross an airedale listening to some of them wouldn't you!

if you think they would be usefull as a cross and stated you would of taken one then why spout out all this shit ,and why not say it in the previous thread when penny announced the litter?

I know Rob, I'm terribly ashamed But hey, but I'm raking all that cash in from writing articles about them! And as anyone knows who has written for the CMW, you get ever so rich writing articles

I can't speak for English bred Airedales as I've never seen one working. I can only speak from my own experience with the Redline Airedale I've got which was bred in this country from imported stock.

Imagine a very sensible and steady Spaniel> that is similar, but not quite the same, to the way she works. By this I mean that from the moment she leaves the van/house, she is working, looking for stuff. Whilst she is out she has no 'off switch'. I can call her up to me, walk her to heel, even throw tennis balls for her to retrieve if there's nothing to hunt or if we are somewhere where there is no game, but her only real mission in life is to find stuff.She hunts anything with a pulse, but obviously prefers more challenging quarry given the choice.

I have taken her beating a few times: not many as I don't really go beating at the moment (too much else to do) and she did well, finding birds easily, and even worked a flight pond well, finding hidden ducks under the brambles around the pond margins, and also found a pricked bird which was hiding deep in the reeds and retrieved it to hand really nicely.

She kills vermin quickly, and is totally focused on a dig.

I can't really say anything negative about her at all, apart from the fact that she is of the shorter, stockier type (the Redline type) so she's not exactly fast and wouldn't be able to catch anything faster than a myxie rabbit on her own, unless it was sitting in cover. But then again, I didn't get her for her running speed!

To me, her drive is what I'd expect from a good terrier: but there's also a hound like quality in there, plus she's also a really nice dog to have around, great with other dogs, works well solo or as part of a team, good retriever and a good guard dog as well as being very biddable. OK, so she can't push right under tight brambles like a small terrier, but she'll have a damn good try LOL

Whilst I was writing the above, I've just seen your latest reply C: I have always said that this mating was accidental, but I don't see why I should have kept quiet about the pups because of that. I honestly believe, from what I've seen and heard (from other people who used to use Airedale crosses back in the 50s in this country, and people who have put Airedale into their staghounds in the States) that a dash of the RIGHT SORT OF AIREDALE is not a bad thing in a running dog. But I'd never have wanted to use an English show bred Airedale to create a lurchers.

I have been told that some English bred Airedales are used for picking up on shoots: I was told this, I don't know this for certain, but any dog that will retrieve can be used for picking up if trained right. I've seen Collies and GSDs picking up on shoots. That ability alone wouldn't make me want to use a show bred dog.

I don't think for one moment that people want to breed Airedale lurchers because I had a litter: I think that people are just curious about a breed which is no longer worked in this country, when it is still worked in the USA. But they're not a common working dog over there at all, and as any of the working Airedale owners will tell you, they can't hold a candle to the purpose bred hunting hounds, curs, Plotts etc which have been refined and bred over the years for certain types of hunting.

Most hunters use them alongside other types of hound, or they are 'hobby' hunters who like to tree a few bear or lion (cougar) each year, hunt raccoons and possums and generally enjoy getting out in the wild with their dog and hunting whatever comes along. I believe that most people who keep and work Airedales do so because they really like the dogs, their characters, their ability to multi task etc, not because they are the only dog that can do a certain job.

I'm pleasantly surprised with my pups, but they wouldn't be for everyone: and of course they've hardly been tested as yet. Certainly the fact that they are crossed with Saluki/Grey makes them very different from Airedale cross straight Greyhounds. They are far more sensitive than you might expect, and needed careful handling whilst growing up. They don't 'do' obedience stuff for the sake of it, and they are very driven to hunt......... all the time: they have that 'self employed' need in them, and if I'd had these pups a time a long time ago when I was more dominant towards my dogs, wanting dogs which jumped the moment I said jump, these pups would have had me tearing my hair out.

So they've caught a few rabbits on the lamp, seem to handle themselves out ferreting, but they're not doing anything any other lurcher of the same age wouldn't do. Yes, they've got great noses, and they're very driven, but so is their sire, the Saluki lurcher. A lot of it is how they are brought up: he will hunt pheasant in cover, air scent for munties in brambles and mark anything in cover. Most Saluki types don't get the opportunity to work loose and learn these skills.

All I can say is that I really, really like them: I like their attitude, their work ethic, and the fact that they seem to have a good mix of independence and trainability, but that's just how I find them: I gell with them, and that's all that counts for me. I can't say how good they're going to be yet, they've only just started working, but I like what I see so far.

You should be a politician,Penny !! LOL !! Many words not actaly saying anything !!.... OK , I'll drop it, but what do I say to the people who are PM'ing saying that you told them it was a PLANNED mating ? Whatever we say, you are listened to and read, so you have a responsibility, weather you want it or not !

Cheers.

:laugh: what a fking clown

Well theres a good topic turned to crap. I have a little experence with the breed both as pur and as x . Unlike the un watched and unholy show dogs over there we give every thing a go and are not tied to some sacrad" lurchers are a ------x and thats it and anything else is a sin attitude". We hunt x show dogs and show bred dogs basically because for many years we didnt have any thing else. Airedale are no different to any other breed theres still some good ones and some with a gleamer of what they once were and of cause some that are a waste of time. I guess what aussies have been good at has been reconising those worth working with and going on from there. the couple that I have hunted with have been in all categories and the good ones just as skycat has decribed hers ( still recon you should send her out here for a couple of years.) This season just gone I had the pleasure of hunting with a mate and his airedale blooded stag This dog is very smart always seams to be able to get himself into the right place at the right time and pushers cover as good as any dog Ive seen including the foxhounds Ive owned.

do some people like arguing or what??

CP, there are three or four thread about those lurchers that specifically state that they were unplanned, you're just being a pain in the ass for no reason and cocking up this guys thread....get a grip!

Rocky: if those Airedales are in Scotland then its quite likely they came from the same bloke who bred mine: he bred a few litters and distributed them amongst working dog men. It's just unfortunate that they don't go on computers and talk about them, though actually, I take that back: its probably very fortunate for them that they don't.

• Like 1

From what i've seen skycat has always said they were un planned but perhaps by talking about them ( instead of hiding her "embarassment" away from the world), in CMW and here, it has ruffeled a few feathers. I think anyone would be a bit of a mentalist just to breed airdale lurchers because skycat has, which seems to be the worry( i think :hmm:)

On a personal note I think it's quite interesting to read how they're coming on so look forward to the updates. :thumbs:

do people not relize that airedale lurchers have been bred and used for years ,skycat has repeatly said its accitental mating but regardless of this airedale terreirs still get worked by some people and their is lot more other untested breeds out their that is getting out crossed 2 the greyhounds

• Like 1

do people not relize that airedale lurchers have been bred and used for years ,skycat has repeatly said its accitental mating but regardless of this airedale terreirs still get worked by some people and their is lot more other untested breeds out their that is getting out crossed 2 the greyhounds

My point mate was I don't think someone would be stupid enough to breed an airdale lurcher just because skycat has said her 2 pups have started well,

I just don't understand the flack Skycats getting for keeping people updated on her pups, most people on here post when there pups are doing well, caught first rabbit ect.

As I said it's interesting to hear how they're getting on and I would think if they don't make the grade skycat would be honest enough to say.

I dont see why an Airedale could not be a bushing dog, as they are a Terrier and should have a nose, and most Curs will hunt rabbits, if you train them, I wouldn't have one personally, as a Bedlington would do it for me, same with Lurcher crosses I would not use an Airedale, but as Pennys litter was accidental I see nothing wrong in letting us know how they are doing.

My point mate was I don't think someone would be stupid enough to breed an airdale lurcher just because skycat has said her 2 pups have started well,

I just don't understand the flack Skycats getting for keeping people updated on her pups, most people on here post when there pups are doing well, caught first rabbit ect.

As I said it's interesting to hear how they're getting on and I would think if they don't make the grade skycat would be honest enough to say.

my post wasn,t aimed at you just my imo :thumbs:

you'd think skycat was the first person to ever cross an airedale listening to some of them wouldn't you! :laugh:

• Like 3