advice needed with young saluki x.

Just got back in from a quick shine with the pup. She is 11 months and done really well on the lamp. Mever gave her really long nights or a huge amount of slips. Always do my best at picking her good slipsand she is really good at catching in the open field. She pulls up at hedge lines and fences quite often but has taken a couple at the hedge before.

Last week a took her out. She caught her first and took ages to bring it back but it did come back eventually. Second came back alittle quicker,then the 3rd was returned very quickly and was still very much alive. She dropped it at my feet and it ran into the hedge and escaped. The 4th i nocked the lamp off when she had it and ahe never came. Put the lamp on she was still mouthing it so nocked it back off and called her in. She returned with no bunny. So i looked for it as we were walking that way but could not see it.

Anyway tonight i kept the lamp on and found out she now likes to drop the rabbit to chase it again! . Seems thats what she was doing last week with the 4th. Tonight she kept dropping the rabbit then nudging it with her nose to make it run again. If she kills them she brings them back but if it still alive she likes to play with it.

Do you think i should stop taking her out for a few months till she matures? Or just keep on going with her till she grows out of it?

Her retrieving is very poor anyway and i have to call her in like a baby to get her to brjng me it and if ahe dosent brjng it back it gets left were she leaves it and gets no praise. When she dose retrive it she gets loads of praise but she is never really botherd, she is more interested in the rabbit.

Sorry for any spelling mistakes as im on my phone and its bloody hard to write with this touch screen lol.

she knows what to do mate, shes been out with my older pup a fw times and she is fine apart from the retrieve.

its just she is still very juvenile so im in 2 minds as to what to do.

the question is

do i leave her home and wait for her to mature abit more, or do i continue on and wait for her to get threw the puppy stage and put up with her antics?

catching is not a problem, she has a good drive when she is running untill she thinks there going to get away then she backs off.

as i said i do my best to give her slips i think give her the best chance but odd times they escape to the hedge row.

i read an article in the countrymans weekly the other week about what different breeds bring to the dogs, collie for wisedom deerhound for size and coat and the saluki for its endurence all have there downsides and for the salukis its once the chase is over they will look for another one. when i go out with my cousins little saluki grey on a good night it with nail 9/10 bunnies at 13months but its always been a nightmare for bringing it back to hand while iv been there. try playing a bit of tug of world with it it helps them to get abit more hard mouthed

atb lewis

• 2 weeks later...

been out 3 or 4 times with her since i started this thread.

she now catches the first couple, lets them go and walks away leaving them to run away across the field. after the first couple she then dosent even bother to chase them anymore.

ive just come home from the quickest walk out ive ever had. lamped a very young rabbit, she caught it, dropped it, let it run and walked away back to me like it wasent even there.

to say im pissed is an under statement.

is it time to give up? i dont think i can keep going out and watching her loose interest more and more each time.

i can throw a dead rabbit all day long and she will bring it back no problem, its just live ones.

when i first started her on the lamp with a few runs she was just over 9 months. showed loads of interest, caught them with ease and brought them back eventually. most she has had in a night was 4, each time i made the biggest fuss in the world and scared everything else away making sure she knew she had done a good thing.

It happens, no matter how much training you put in a young dog, there comes a time when all your training seems to be ignored by the dog, they do what they want to do, just like a spoilt little boy. It makes you feel disheartened, a failure.

I would strip the dog down, go straight back to basics, one to one in a confined area and begin the retrieving programme untill the dog understands to play the game again.

she knows what to do mate, shes been out with my older pup a fw times and she is fine apart from the retrieve.

its just she is still very juvenile so im in 2 minds as to what to do.

the question is

do i leave her home and wait for her to mature abit more, or do i continue on and wait for her to get threw the puppy stage and put up with her antics?

catching is not a problem, she has a good drive when she is running untill she thinks there going to get away then she backs off.

as i said i do my best to give her slips i think give her the best chance but odd times they escape to the hedge row.

Salukis do take a long time to mature mate. And 11 months isnt very old. I would just stick to play for the time being. Make sure she gets plenty of exersize too cos they will mess about something cronic if they havent let off enough steam.

Cheers lads. Thing is she is spot on at retrieveing all the time with toys, skins and dummy's. Even dead bunnys she will bring them back time after time. It's just like she is bored and carnt be botherd to do it with live bunnys in the field. Carnt even be bothered to chase them when there right in front of her running away.