Upgrading, but which?

Im currently shooting with a cometa 220(.22) which i bought from a mate a while back to go out now and again shooting rabbits on local farms. Recently i have got more permissions and am getting out with the gun and ferrets more and more often so im looking to upgrade the gun. Ive been looking at spring rifle again, just for ease of maintenance and cost. The rifles which i have shortlisted are as follows :

HW97k

HW90k (gas ram)

Lightning XL

TX200

Pro sport

I know the pro sport is the newer rifle and will cost more but i dont know whether it would be worth waiting to get one second hand? Im after peoples reviews on these rifles and reccommendations, i personally fancy the XL as its lighter, shorter and i know a lad with the older version and its a hell of a rifle. Am i wasting my time and should just get down to my local gun shop and try them out to see which one suits? :hmm:

opinions please...

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

:thumbs:   Darryl

As above regards the Lighting, they're shite. Rubbish build, crap triggers, useless moderator, the screws need constant tightening because they twang and rattle like feck, stupid odd sized scope rail, the barrels go slack in the jaws after a while 'cos the bloody things are made from not much better than pig iron and it's only held in with a stupid little pin, and last but by no means least it says BSA (BRITISH Small Arms!!!!) on them and the shitty things are made in Spain :icon_eek:

All the others you mentioned are quality kit and it's down to personal preferance :thumbs:

As above regards the Lighting, they're shite. Rubbish build, crap triggers, useless moderator, the screws need constant tightening because they twang and rattle like feck, stupid odd sized scope rail, the barrels go slack in the jaws after a while 'cos the bloody things are made from not much better than pig iron and it's only held in with a stupid little pin, and last but by no means least it says BSA (BRITISH Small Arms!!!!) on them and the shitty things are made in Spain :icon_eek:

All the others you mentioned are quality kit and it's down to personal preferance :thumbs:

haha fair play, you speaking from experience then?

haha fair play, you speaking from experience then?

:laugh: Oh yes. Many times over, I used to fix airguns for a living years back :thumbs:

For what it's worth, out of all the guns you've listed I'd go for the HW90. It's overall the best springer on the market IMHO, but as I said, it really boils down to what ever rifle feel 'right' for you. There's not really a best, they're just different.

Hi, well your shortlist has some very good choices on it, I can comment on 4 of your 5, hw97k or any version of the hw97 inc the newest models, Excellent quality guns, very accurate, but heavy to carry about hunting, thumbhole 97kt version is much better to balance, hw90 gas ram again a very nice quality rifle, gas ram is a nice option due to how quite the operation is, a bit long for hunting, badly balanced. a hell of a kick (my opinion only), bsa xl lighting - xl tactical is a supurb rifle for hunting, tactical version, very smooth, very light, tactical lightweight stock, im my opinion this is the gun I would pick for hunting - upgrade, tx200 on par with the 97k, excellent gun but heavy for hunting, pro sport ! no comment never tried one.

I would say get yourself a xl tactical if your looking for a light arounder for hunting, if you want to carry a heavy gun around, then the 97k or the tx200, have a look in your local rfd to have a feel of them, then you will be able to judge for yourself,

happy hunting whatever you choose, viz

Because of the gas ram or just as you said overall? Without the lightning i was edging towards the 97K with the pro sport close behind if i can get one at the right price.

The ram's a big plus point for me, I've had mine for about 15 years now and it's had a hell of a lot of use, the only problem I've ever had was when the gun hadn't been used for about 3 years and the ram lost a little pressure, they don't like being left idle for long periods.

I prefer break barrels for ease of use, especially when the light goes. For me the 90 just fits and feels right, but then that's me. The Pro Sport and 97 are both first class springers with very little to seperate them. Out of the box the AA tend to have a smoother action and are very nice to shoot. HW's feel more like a mass produced product but have the potential to be so much more and their triggers are second to none.

Just try to get your hands on as many different rifles as you can because it's going to be you who's shooting with it. Stick with Air Arms or pretty much anything German and you won't go far wrong. Check out Dianas too. VERY under rated :thumbs:

Edited by andyfr1968

cheers mate, yeah weight is important really because of the land we shoot there is quite a walk about, all my lamping is walked also but to have a superior gun then weight can be set aside i supose as you can always put it down for a rest :D Thumbholes are usually dearer yes? is the advantage just to aid balance and therefore accuracy?

Well from your list of rifles i would personally put them in this order first:

AA Pro Sport

Weihrauch HW97K or HW90k (gas ram) or AA TX200 as they are all brillaint rifles and not much between them.

BSA Lightning XL

I personally wouldnt get a Lightning XL. If you want a Lightning then go for a normal Lightning that was made in the UK not Spain. There are some about on the Gun Trader website and i gave a bloke a link to one 2 days ago.

Speaking from experience as Ive owned 3 of the 5 at some time in my life but shot them all and straight out the box the Pro Sport is the best by a considerable way.

If Tony Wall at Sandwell Field Sports tunes the HW97K though its better than the Pro Sport just.

I used to own a UK made Lightning and it accounted for many hundred head of vermin from around the laste 90's early 2000's and they are far better than todays Spanish stock.

Knowing that you want the rifle to be pretty Light but also very accurate i would suggest to you the HW95K. This rifle is light, top quality and deadly accurate in either calibre. I have owned around 4 in both .177 and .22 and they are amazing little rifles.

Mine liked RWS Super Field pellets and i could regularly shoot 40 metre plus bunnies with ease.

All the others that you have mentioned less the XL are pretty heavy so a sling is advised. With a sling the weight problem goes away when walking about.

The heavier weight when firing is a big aid to accuracy though and arrests the recoil some what and assists you in holding the rifle without wobbling all over.

ATB

Si.

Edited by zini

i was thinking around the 250-300 mark as a budget, i just need a rifle as i have a simmons scope that i bought for the cometa do you think this is reasonable? i know that the pro sport is a newer rifle so that probably excuses this one. The TX200, i know there is different mks, mk3 being the latest i believe. Is there any difference in them?

i was thinking around the 250-300 mark as a budget, i just need a rifle as i have a simmons scope that i bought for the cometa do you think this is reasonable? i know that the pro sport is a newer rifle so that probably excuses this one. The TX200, i know there is different mks, mk3 being the latest i believe. Is there any difference in them?

What area of the north east are you in ?