can a lurcher jump 6ft fencing

Roo started jumping out of our garden which is surrounded by 6ft fence panels. Up till then he hardly ever jumped and had to have gates opened for him if he couldn't squeeze under :laugh: (unless behind quarry), I just copied what we used on the pheasant pens and nailed some 18"x1"x1/2" battons to the top of each post then cut a 1 metre roll of chicken wire down the middle and attached it to the battons. He probably could of pushed it out the way if he really wanted to but it was enough to deter him trying again.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

my old dog could climb chain link and squaremesh runs had to roof hers.   but she could clear 6ft with the wifes cat in her mouth hanging by its tail

6ft isnt that much trouble for a decent sized Lurcher my 23 inch bitch will do 6ft no probs

ive recently had to get rid of one of mine because i couldnt keep him in kept jumping over my back gate and thats nearly seven foot the dog warden picked him up twice.so the answer is it depends how m

Well you learn something new all the time on here eh......lurchers clearing 6ft with 'ease'. Any pics of these please..... :thumbs:

Well you learn something new all the time on here eh......lurchers clearing 6ft with 'ease'. Any pics of these please..... :thumbs:

never tried my current one over 6ft but i will.seriously my last bitch could clear that no problem,more so if it was a cat she was after,hated them with a passion,i had panels out my back over 6ft and she went over that one day,granted scrambled at the top of the panel but went over.

never tried my current one over 6ft but i will.seriously my last bitch could clear that no problem,more so if it was a cat she was after,hated them with a passion,i had panels out my back over 6ft and she went over that one day,granted scrambled at the top of the panel but went over.

Oh come on now scot thats not clearing 6ft mate thats just scrambling over.....i dont doubt that for a second, even small dogs can scale some proper heights. I would just like to see a dog that made a 6ft fence look easy........:thumbs: Av got a 6ft fence out my back garden and i'd love to watch a dog fly over that.... :thumbs:

Oh come on now scot thats not clearing 6ft mate thats just scrambling over.....i dont doubt that for a second, even small dogs can scale some proper heights. I would just like to see a dog that made a 6ft fence look easy........:thumbs: Av got a 6ft fence out my back garden and i'd love to watch a dog fly over that.... :thumbs:

redbull you know , it gives you wings :angel:

must admit i would love to see a lucher 'clear' a 6ft fence without touching it

Likes been said yes most lurchers ( and most dogs for that matter ) will get over a 6' fence, I had a first cross that would jump on top of the 6' run fence from sitting (Never cleared it just jumped on top of the fence then pushed off) ...

I know a lad off here had a 3/4 bred dog that i saw go over hedges after deer (Pre-ban) and them hedges must be between 4/6'high and and about 4/5' wide and he honestly use to clear them at full tilt without breaking stride after his quarry.....

But if you think about it a lurcher say 26/28'' could almost stand up on it back legs and be more or less touching the top of a 6' fence it anit hard to under stand that a slight jump and thats there front legs hooked on the top to pull them selfs over job done the dogs over, But just too say iv NEVER seen any dog go over 6' without touching the fence at all..

• Like 1

had 3 lurchers who could clear six feet deer fences and maybe a tad higher but only in hot pursuit , but saw dogs scrabble up 8 and higher with ease , jumping big heights is good but jionts etc can get hurt if hard landin so common sense prevails or expierence ,saw a big saluk cross i had sol half tor of dartmoor chase his qaury in and out a wood qaurry gets over fence dog clears it with ease smaller collie type bounces of fence to young and daft good chase, and well the qaurry made good ,saw it several times over the years, but not all dogs got natural jumping ability ,it was afair sight to see qaurry over deer fence dog over deer fence good sight to see and all legal

read the post again matey. :thumbs:

:laugh:

pull the fence up a foot as we all know lurchers wont crawl under :thumbs:

sorry to be an arse mate but its best to advice someone if we have experienced it ourselves but my lurchers both get under a foot gap and do so all the time,they are fcukers for it,not being picky but just advising.

Read it again pal............. :whistling:

read the post again matey. :thumbs:

all my dogs go over 6 foot walls up the dales,, in fact there's one in particular that about 7 foot,, but it is a scramble. and like lab i would love to see pics of a dog going streight over