best fox dog ever seen

Ben, ridge back x bull x greyhound, only saw him at work in his older years but still was some dog, he would pull them then in seconds have them in the chest and bite them that hard they couldn't bite him back. 7 single handed was his best number in one night.

A lad who's opinion I respected where foxing lurcher were concerned told me about this dog a good few years ago.

He did a lot of his work down south before he was sold to a man in Ireland for 2000 then after a few years was bought back for a 1000 in his old age to retire and line a few bitches back here in Yorkshire but never made another Ben he was a one off.

Edited by Trev70
  • Like 2

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

my fox dogs might not be the best but av got more good nights and foxes with him and he suits me to the ground . hes the best dog av owned he lifts and kills an every run is exciting

And brian even managed to lamp all them foxes in a pair of leather slip on shoes all winter.........

7 or 8 in one day or night is some feat single handed if your talking catch and kill and mature winter foxes.Im not saying it's not possible but if a dog was to do it I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be go

Posted Images

Ben, ridge back x bull x greyhound, only saw him at work in his older years but still was some dog, he would pull them then in seconds have them in the chest and bite them that hard they couldn't bite him back. 7 single handed was his best number in one night.

A lad who's opinion I respected where foxing lurcher were concerned told me about this dog a good few years ago.
I've seen two of the same breeding (litter?) The dog was a huge fawn coloured animal and was some tool, the bitch, a brindle, was a big girl also and was as hard as nails. Both of these could run and kill gear, they were in the NW about 15 years ago??

Was juste6f9a3f3-3eeb-42e9-8b85-1a2d76606770_zps asking because 18 year back I put my fawn first cross bull bitch to this deerhound x lurcher that had been there and done it all, all the pups were brindle apart from one big rough fawn dog that was called Floyd, he was making a good fox and fallow dog but was sold on for what was good money back then.

• Like 1

I've seen two of the same breeding (litter?) The dog was a huge fawn coloured animal and was some tool, the bitch, a brindle, was a big girl also and was as hard as nails. Both of these could run and kill gear, they were in the NW about 15 years ago??

Was juste6f9a3f3-3eeb-42e9-8b85-1a2d76606770_zps asking because 18 year back I put my fawn first cross bull bitch to this deerhound x lurcher that had been there and done it all, all the pups were brindle apart from one big rough fawn dog that was called Floyd, he was making a good fox and fallow dog but was sold on for what was good money back then.
thats a nice hound

He did a lot of his work down south before he was sold to a man in Ireland for 2000 then after a few years was bought back for a 1000 in his old age to retire and line a few bitches back here in Yorkshire but never made another Ben he was a one off.
It was a lad from Yorkshire that told me about him.

What about Buck heard he was a good fox dog in his time? An bud the brindle dog, might have a picture of Buck they would do 7-8 no problems Daily so I was told.

7 or 8 in one day or night is some feat single handed if your talking catch and kill and mature winter foxes.Im not saying it's not possible but if a dog was to do it I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be going out the next day and doing it again.
  • Like 7

What about Buck heard he was a good fox dog in his time? An bud the brindle dog, might have a picture of Buck they would do 7-8 no problems Daily so I was told.

7 or 8 in one day or night is some feat single handed if your talking catch and kill and mature winter foxes.Im not saying it's not possible but if a dog was to do it I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be going out the next day and doing it again.
by daily I don't mean every day as it would mean it's some dog to do so, just heard they used to kill a lot single handed there was a write up on here a while ago about them. Just couldn't find it to re post on here.

I dont find it hard to see a good dog doing 7 in a night , I have witnessed a dog catch and kill 3 foxes and 3 other sets of teeth in a night ,,,,,and we had to knock the beam off a couple more on the way back to the van !

Some of these half x , especially ridgeback xs , will way 80 -90lb , a heavy fox 30lb at best , some will be nearly dead on impact , I owned a fell hound x bull grey , massive jaw power , he would shake them twice , drop them and walk off !!!! ...........but above all they must have it in their heart or they never will .

• Like 1

I dont find it hard to see a good dog doing 7 in a night , I have witnessed a dog catch and kill 3 foxes and 3 other sets of teeth in a night ,,,,,and we had to knock the beam off a couple more on the way back to the van !

Some of these half x , especially ridgeback xs , will way 80 -90lb , a heavy fox 30lb at best , some will be nearly dead on impact , I owned a fell hound x bull grey , massive jaw power , he would shake them twice , drop them and walk off !!!! ...........but above all they must have it in their heart or they never will .

realistically how often does a 30lb fox show up?
  • Like 1

I'd like to see a 80-90lb dog catch 7 winter foxes in a night.And I mean run off the slip not dropped out of a motor or killing dopey 3/4 grown cubs on the stubbles.
  • Like 4

I'd like to see a 80-90lb dog catch 7 winter foxes in a night.And I mean run off the slip not dropped out of a motor or killing dopey 3/4 grown cubs on the stubbles.

Not going to get into arguments on here , but , apparently the Ben dog was doing it , the dog I was out with was capable of it , are sure Bird will agree with me .