running a fox

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

young dog has to learn that the fox bites back no point in just letting dog rag dead fox because when u let him down on his own he s in for a nasty shock

some times alan a dog will run better on his own have seen dogs that both can turn well on their own yet when doubled up same dogs go wide i would not be surprised if its a jealous thing with both

Im usually after bigger fish but you know the crack, back in the day out with a mate or two Id go for foxes to keep owners happy and good crack, good sport, NEVER felt the need to double up, most of m

some times alan a dog will run better on his own

have seen dogs that both can turn well on their own

yet when doubled up same dogs go wide

i would not be surprised if its a jealous thing with both dogs trying to out run each other

when i used to hare course my mate had a first class single handed dog

once or twice he was doubled up with a young dog when he was a bit old

and would just sit behind the younger dog and then pick up after the turn

was not fair on the hare. i have never seen fox lurchers do this but would not be surprised if it happens some time

mack

• Like 1

Double a young dog up with experience dog for first few times,then when u think he's ready for a run on it's own let him av a go,that's the way I always bring dogs on,if the dog can't do the job single handed then he not a fox dog.. Single handed or not at all :thumbs:

I second that mate thumbs.gif

thats the answer i was looking for macker thats wat i started seen in one of my own dogs last season so he own his own this season :thumbs:

I think if you run them on there own alan they become a better dog for it,more determent to catch as there not waiting on the second dog to do the work for them,as mack said i have seen a dog lie in behind another and let it do the work until the turn then it takes the glory.

Guest born to run1083

I've always found when out the numbers seem to be higher if ran doubled up in rabbits but oy when they form a good partnership and to see dogs working together in that sense can be nice to watch but fox I wouldn't know as I only have run pups doubled but would think it would be the same what ever the quarry. But being honest you can't beat single handed on any quarry test the dogs alot better and they have to catch there prey on own attributes rather then leaning on others

always prefer single handed, much more rewarding and yet no more harm too the charlie than it would be if you had a pair on it, but sometimes its best too double up, for instance iv got a 1st cross bedlington whippet thats not heavy enough/got enough top end too reach the charlie but shes very game and doubled up with a larger dog you can imagen the outcome...

but what you shouldnt do is double a single handed dog with a dog that doesnt do fox single handed cus your trying too get a dog too catch fox when it hasnt got it in it too do so...

too many people get fooled by there dog when it runs a fox single handed and it genuinely looks like its trying its hardest on the quarry but they dont think its fast enough so they double it up...

thats the answer i was looking for macker thats wat i started seen in one of my own dogs last season so he own his own this season :thumbs:

I think if you run them on there own alan they become a better dog for it,more determent to catch as there not waiting on the second dog to do the work for them,as mack said i have seen a dog lie in behind another and let it do the work until the turn then it takes the glory.

cheehs fat man the dog is more determent and puts a lot more effort into catching his fox when on his own :thumbs:

Just a little question to throw a spanner in the works.......what if pre-ban you and a partner do lamping on foot and perhaps only come across a couple of foxes a week, your dogs are capable single handed but you may only get two runs on charlie a week, its it so bad to have doubled up??

Just a little question to throw a spanner in the works.......what if pre-ban you and a partner do lamping on foot and perhaps only come across a couple of foxes a week, your dogs are capable single handed but you may only get two runs on charlie a week, its it so bad to have doubled up??

:thumbs: thats it mate not everbody goes in a motor, pre ban i ve been out some nights and you see the buggers, but they never come in close enough for 2 dogs never mind 1, :hmm: good job you see few rabbits about to give the dog a run.! Differnt ball game on foot :yes:

A few years back i bought a dvd called something like

Lamping foxes with Bull crosses....

I was surprised that every slip, the fox was ran with 2 dogs....!!!!

My own preference is to run a dog single handed,{pre ban} but as others have said if your

lamping on foot and you dont get to see many, then the temptation is to double up

and if you were starting a young dog {pre ban} then again it`s good to run doubled up...

Mars...

Edited by Mars

A few years back i bought a dvd called something like

Lamping foxes with Bull crosses....

I was surprised that every slip, the fox was ran with 2 dogs....!!!!

My own preference is to run a dog single handed,{pre ban} but as others have said if your

lamping on foot and you dont get to see many, then the temptation is to double up

and if you were starting a young dog {pre ban} then again it`s good to run doubled up...

Mars...

was that the one where the lads kept saying "HAVE IT"

we lamp on foot and we maybe might get one or two decent chances of getting within killing distance so we normally might run 2 just get the run for the both of them .Now the dogs can catch and kill perfectly single handed which they do every sunday when hunting covers with the beagle crosses because you are usually standing in a ditch on your own