Wheatens and Wheaten Crosses

Like I said 2 u mate chris hicklings bitch is a 1st x wheatongreyhound from springview lines mate and she's had a few litters and litter brother tonk sired a few litters 1 of spiderpigs litters was out of him and is own wheatonx bitch and rodney magnet has bred from is dog so y is it hard 2 believe that they not a lot of working wheaton blood about!!!

Tonk is known by a few in the Nottingham area (or should I say WAS known), iv'e heard the dog spoken about by a few.

I just dont think the wheaton lurchers have the same popularity as the bull crosses do and I dont think that that is a bad thing either. The good dogs seem to be well known locally but they dont get the national 'fame' the bull cross studs do which again is a good thing. JMO

Edited by Born Hunter

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

hate to break this to you but YOU are on THE NET talking about hunting

If this bitch (fly) you don't think highly off why did you take pups out off her????

So that is one dog,im not doubting there is any chrisbullx,im saying is there is so few. So does chris hickling have ALL the breeding for the wheaten used or like my previous post says is this the equ

Posted Images

Guest alcapone

So that is one dog,im not doubting there is any chrisbullx,im saying is there is so few. So does chris hickling have ALL the breeding for the wheaten used or like my previous post says is this the equivilent to just saying red nose,reid or mayfield blood,just speculation? im just asking? Im not saying there isnt any 1st x dogs about but there is so very few! You didnt explain how the breeding of the "JACK" dog came about squire? :angel:

• Like 2

I understand your frustration Alcapone. For years the good wheaten blood was kept close over here and had little monetary value to anyone outside the tight knit working fraternity. For this reason inferior dogs would not have been bred from. The unkempt scruffy appearance coupled with an aggressive attitude toward other dogs made them unattractive pet material.

Years ago when I used to do a bit of terrier work one of my hunting buddies who kept wheatens and wheaten lurchers was tempted to sell a bitch which should have been a cull to a fellow who had been over on a visit from the mainland. Now this bitch failed in her work on numerous occasions and if she had been any good one of the lads we hunted with would have had her, but after she'd spent a short time in England my pal showed me a letter he had recieved from her new owner extolling her working qualities and describing her as the best drawing dog in England. Once you've been around this game a while you know that dogs that have learnt to come off their game only get worse, not better.

All these years later I see that there are so called working bred wheatens bred down from this same man and it's no wonder the spark has been lost.

In the early 1970's I remember sitting in the bar at a large local dog show in the company of some old time staff and wheaten fanciers and one of the older men from the South expressed the opinion that wheatens were finished. "We've lost it" he said, referring to gameness. Bear in mind this was only 5 or 6 years after the I.K.C. was sanctioning trials in which Irish native breeds must have held a certificate in order to hold full championship status.

A working wheaten in its homeland was always defined by a specific job carried out in a specific style. Bushing, ratting or retrieving shot game may be classed as work for other breeds of dog but thats not the type of work that any hard core wheaten fancier would say qualifies a wheaten as a worker. A working collie herds sheep. A wheaten that herds sheep has no claim to the title working wheaten (although it would be something of a novelty).

They're only "working bred" if their parents worked and they're only "workers" if they themselves work.......IMHO!

• Like 2

I understand your frustration Alcapone. For years the good wheaten blood was kept close over here and had little monetary value to anyone outside the tight knit working fraternity. For this reason inferior dogs would not have been bred from. The unkempt scruffy appearance coupled with an aggressive attitude toward other dogs made them unattractive pet material.

Years ago when I used to do a bit of terrier work one of my hunting buddies who kept wheatens and wheaten lurchers was tempted to sell a bitch which should have been a cull to a fellow who had been over on a visit from the mainland. Now this bitch failed in her work on numerous occasions and if she had been any good one of the lads we hunted with would have had her, but after she'd spent a short time in England my pal showed me a letter he had recieved from her new owner extolling her working qualities and describing her as the best drawing dog in England. Once you've been around this game a while you know that dogs that have learnt to come off their game only get worse, not better.

All these years later I see that there are so called working bred wheatens bred down from this same man and it's no wonder the spark has been lost.

In the early 1970's I remember sitting in the bar at a large local dog show in the company of some old time staff and wheaten fanciers and one of the older men from the South expressed the opinion that wheatens were finished. "We've lost it" he said, referring to gameness. Bear in mind this was only 5 or 6 years after the I.K.C. was sanctioning trials in which Irish native breeds must have held a certificate in order to hold full championship status.

A working wheaten in its homeland was always defined by a specific job carried out in a specific style. Bushing, ratting or retrieving shot game may be classed as work for other breeds of dog but thats not the type of work that any hard core wheaten fancier would say qualifies a wheaten as a worker. A working collie herds sheep. A wheaten that herds sheep has no claim to the title working wheaten (although it would be something of a novelty).

They're only "working bred" if their parents worked and they're only "workers" if they themselves work.......IMHO!

100 % correct

A man of knowledge and a credit to the site :thumbs:

:notworthy: .. :thumbs:

I have a dog bred out of Hicklin's Fly and i couldn't give a flying f##k about breeding and lines, all i know is he does what it says on the tin and i'm more than happy with his performance and ability. Just finished his first full season of work and hasn't let go or backed off once.........in my opinion that's what it's all about rather than what dogs are in his breeding of so called famous lines.

Let's be honest now and think how many dogs bred from these well known lines didn't make the grade........plenty me thinks but nobody talks about the failures when they are trying to make a fast buck

So that is one dog,im not doubting there is any chrisbullx,im saying is there is so few. So does chris hickling have ALL the breeding for the wheaten used or like my previous post says is this the equivilent to just saying red nose,reid or mayfield blood,just speculation? im just asking? Im not saying there isnt any 1st x dogs about but there is so very few! You didnt explain how the breeding of the "JACK" dog came about squire? :angel:

Jack wheatonbullgreyhound mate don't know what percentage mate but was as good as any dog mate at his job and all of his offspring work!!! As long as graft mate proper graft it don't matter what lines r what as long as breed from grafter 2 grafter your halfway there in my eyes,I like and own wheaton xs and bull xs and all my dogs do what I want them 2 do week in week out and I work them hard so f**k what lines as long as they work!!atb cbx

Guest alcapone

Jack wheatonbullgreyhound mate don't know what percentage mate but was as good as any dog mate at his job and all of his offspring work!!! As long as graft mate proper graft it don't matter what lines r what as long as breed from grafter 2 grafter your halfway there in my eyes,I like and own wheaton xs and bull xs and all my dogs do what I want them 2 do week in week out and I work them hard so f**k what lines as long as they work!!atb cbx

Thanks for your reply and opinion Bolio. :thumbs: Now chrisbullx let the record be put straight,JACK had absolutely NO breeding to him whatsoever,that ped was put on the dog after a man gave an opinion as to what x he thought the dog was. :thumbs: im merely backs up my point,how does ANYONE know how much or little wheaten is /was in the dog if any? This isnt a war on hickling just a good example of breeding wheaten x's but they do not know any history of the dog,my whole post from the start isnt judgeing wheatens or their ability but to ask the question how have so many dogs appeared on the lurcher scene when there is so few GENUINE wheaten greyhounds about,im not doubting JACKS ability or progeny but it proves the point that they have the title wheaten,bull greyhound but know one knows what they are out of if a wheaten at all. Im sure some of you dont fully understand what im saying,im trying my best to make it sound simple. JACK as an example,pedigree unknown,so how on eathh does anyone know what they have bred off him? Not cribbing the dog just making my point and asking my orignal question: WHERE ARE THESE GENUINE 1ST X that have produced these dogs as they seem to be in abundance?

• Like 2

alcapone, I understood what you were gettin at from the very beginning. I feel the same way over here when somebody uses the term staghound. They toss it around like its supposed to impress but in reality there aint no such thing. You can go around this country and see folks that are running coyotes with all different kindsa dogs but them dogs just automatically get coined with that word, "staghound". What does it even mean? Some of these dogs will be greyhounds, some hound crosses, some collie crosses, some deerhound type things, wolfhounds, bulldog, and bird dog.......you name it. Its all bullshit when in fact most of them dont deserve any type of credit and or name applied to them except cull cuz thats what the vast majority of them will be if you really wanna know the truth.

Guest alcapone

alcapone, I understood what you were gettin at from the very beginning. I feel the same way over here when somebody uses the term staghound. They toss it around like its supposed to impress but in reality there aint no such thing. You can go around this country and see folks that are running coyotes with all different kindsa dogs but them dogs just automatically get coined with that word, "staghound". What does it even mean? Some of these dogs will be greyhounds, some hound crosses, some collie crosses, some deerhound type things, wolfhounds, bulldog, and bird dog.......you name it. Its all bullshit when in fact most of them dont deserve any type of credit and or name applied to them except cull cuz thats what the vast majority of them will be if you really wanna know the truth.

Thankyou Dan..........im banging my head off the wall here,at last im understood,same example just put different. :thumbs: I used JACK as an example not a target lads.

• Like 1

I've got fly I've had 4 about 6 months now she's a cracking bitch mate chris give her 2 me didn't have enuff work 4 her only enuff 4 heather and mac!! Atb cbx

yehh mate he told me he had given her to [bANNED TEXT] so she could get some work lol i was gonna have her but didnt ave the space at the time how is she?