several puncture wounds

been out for a dig today, it was sucessfull but towards the end of the dig my dog took some punishment, hes got several puncture wounds on his face, ive cleaned them out with a syringe and salt water the best i can and wound powdered them, would it be best to cut all the hair around the holes? so it doesnt get stuck in the wound? ive not washed him just cleaned the wounds out

cheers ben

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't put wound powder on puncture wounds. They need to stay open to heal from the inside. Make sure they don't scab up too soon: wash daily with salt water to keep open and clean. If there is any sig

Ky jelly stops scabs forming, well it did on my arse.

Here is how I would advice how to clean up facial wounds . If the dog has had a partiuarly long or hard time once they are lifted I always have a bottle of electrolytes in the truck this is given to

sound, ive done a bit, ill go do the rest now!

Just wash him and inject him with penstrep or pennicillen and he will be grand.

Not the best advice to give someone that is asking how to clean wounds :thumbdown: if he is asking that kind of question he will not have much drug administration experiance

Just clean the wounds best you can I use johnson baby shampoo in the shower as you can get the wounds cleaned right out without stinging the dogs eyes ...trust me it works a treat

Edited by MOO

Don't put wound powder on puncture wounds. They need to stay open to heal from the inside. Make sure they don't scab up too soon: wash daily with salt water to keep open and clean. If there is any sign of heat or swelling you may need antibiotics, though shouldn't do if they are only small wounds. Most dogs do get a bit of localised infection when they first get bitten but soon develop a bit of immunity.

• Like 4

Don't put wound powder on puncture wounds. They need to stay open to heal from the inside. Make sure they don't scab up too soon: wash daily with salt water to keep open and clean. If there is any sign of heat or swelling you may need antibiotics, though shouldn't do if they are only small wounds. Most dogs do get a bit of localised infection when they first get bitten but soon develop a bit of immunity.

Have to agree with sky cat there regarding antibiotics some folk administer them too often ....if you are going to be doing more digging I SUGGEST YOU READ UP ON THE AFTER CARE OF YOUR TYKE ....and try and get your hands on some noracarp or rymadil

I dont agree with jabbing a dog everytime it gets a few punture wounds and wouldnt use powder it just clogs wounds and makes them gammy and dont let them dry just wash the dogs face clean out its eyes trim abit of hair back let it scab up and remove the scabs so they dont get infected underneath and wash again just repeat till it heals,only use anti-biotics in severe cases or if wounds get infected and the dog looks ill in itself

regards hedz

sound, ive done a bit, ill go do the rest now!

Just wash him and inject him with penstrep or pennicillen and he will be grand.

Not the best advice to give someone that is asking how to clean wounds :thumbdown: if he is asking that kind of question he will not have much drug administration experiance

Just clean the wounds best you can I use johnson baby shampoo in the shower as you can get the wounds cleaned right out without stinging the dogs eyes ...trust me it works a treat

im just looking for more advise thats all!! what ive been told by lads around here is just clean the wounds not the rest of the dog and leave him over night to get rest, ive dont this every time and hes bin fine every time, im gonna give him a nice shower tomorrow, hes endured enough today...