Lurchers ditching on the lamp.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes you will catch lots more but your dog will be lied up more in the kennel with the injury's it will pick up. Rather have a dog that l can take out then one sitting in the kennel doing nothing. At

I think they get better at it with age, Must admit i do like to see a lurcher hit cover after his rabbit ones that start pulling up just at the hedge will lose a hell of a lot of rabbits

In 25 years of lamping my worst accidents have been with dogs that didn't look before they leapt. Of course a dog should follow its quarry, but with a bit of common sense and savvy: blindly running an

I don't get what you mean by 'ditching lurcher', round here if its ditched, its thrown the towl in or jacked.

The type I keep will hit hedges till thier dying day... And unfortunatley that can come a fair bit faster than expected!

I'd agree with Tiny and say they do get better with age, but then if you own a hedge splitter, each and every run is different and dependent on how far behind their quarry and how hard they've ran it will determin if its a heart stopping strike or not.

I lost two youngsters in as many years and have an old bugger here with one eye, how his mother never lost any before him is a mystery, she had to have her eyes stitched shut three times because of damage.

That said, I'd still prefer a dog to go 'in', many a quarry is caught as it enters cover, nowt annoys me more than a dog that slows up to a hedge line and slams on two foot away. Nine times out of ten the quarry is slowing too and a determined dog knows this and acts accordingly.

I dont get it you've lost two dogs and had another laid up for who knows how long and you still think its a good idea your dogs crash hedges in the dark. :blink:

• Like 1

I don't get what you mean by 'ditching lurcher', round here if its ditched, its thrown the towl in or jacked.

The type I keep will hit hedges till thier dying day... And unfortunatley that can come a fair bit faster than expected!

I'd agree with Tiny and say they do get better with age, but then if you own a hedge splitter, each and every run is different and dependent on how far behind their quarry and how hard they've ran it will determin if its a heart stopping strike or not.

I lost two youngsters in as many years and have an old bugger here with one eye, how his mother never lost any before him is a mystery, she had to have her eyes stitched shut three times because of damage.

That said, I'd still prefer a dog to go 'in', many a quarry is caught as it enters cover, nowt annoys me more than a dog that slows up to a hedge line and slams on two foot away. Nine times out of ten the quarry is slowing too and a determined and expierienced dog knows this and acts accordingly.

I dont get it you've lost two dogs and had another laid up for who knows how long and you still think its a good idea your dogs crash hedges in the dark. :blink:

Thats in over 28 years of lamping Undisputed. One of those dogs lost was due to a tree trunk laying at the bottom of the hedge, hidden by cover. The other was a rip that went wrong, even though the vet did all he could, and the eye was a branch of Blackthorn that was standing proud. Accidents can happen with anything, i've seen more lost to ditches than hedges over the years and there's plenty more hazards to contend with too. I've no desire to see any more dog damage, (let alone any deaths!) but by its very nature lamping is dangerous and though by my writings on here, you must think I keep nutty wreckless hounds that have no sence and are being run by an even more sensless owner... The truth is very different, look to my last paragraph above, in bold. ;)

In 25 years of lamping my worst accidents have been with dogs that didn't look before they leapt. Of course a dog should follow its quarry, but with a bit of common sense and savvy: blindly running and crashing into ditches and hedges is, IMO, a recipe for broken legs and necks. I'd sooner lose quarry than lose a dog, having lost a few in this way. The quarry will always be there for another day, a good dog takes time and effort to become good. I don't want to waste a dog in that way.

There's a big difference between hitting a hedge full bore, blind and uncaring, and following the quarry whilst still retaining a bit of self preservation.

• Like 2

my buddy has a first cross collie hound pup 15 months old this dog was so promising from the word go was as game as anything used 2 smash hedges after rabbits last night of the season she coarsed a rabbit 2 the hedge hit an eletrick fence pole at full tilt we thought she was dead but came around after a few mins an made a full a recovery.had her out the other nite for a few runs 2 see how she was after it anytime she came near a fence would stop dead even in the middle of a feild up a rabbits hole rabbit went under a eletrick fence bitch stopped dead.think shes f****d now hopefully not wel give her til the end of the season.so it has its disadvanteges asswell.

From my experience alot of injuries occur when folk don't actually know the ground there running there dogs on. I'm quite fortunate in having enough permission to go on without straying too far. However if i do stray or have a run out with friends on there permission i always ask about wire etc and expect them to know there ground.

A dog will soon learn with experience that 90% of rabbits will slow somewhat before hitting the hedge, and puts the presuure on just at the right time. I'd go as far to say about 50% of the rabbits my dogs pick up on the lamp are within 10 yards of the hedgeline and they will go in after the rabbits without any problem, but they won't hit the hedge flat out.

A dog that wouldn't go in the hedge wouldn't be anygood to me on the land i work them on.

A dog that dont hit the hedge is lacking in heart, one of the best qualities in a running dog and something that cant be replaced with speed or brains in my experience,

Bollocks!

a dog that wont commit himself to catching his quarry 100% is lacking heart, it wont just show in his not committing himself at ditch's ,hedges it will show in all other aspects of his work ,i have had the misforture to have owned half hearted mutts in the past and no matter how fast or smart the dog was , a dog lacking drive or heart just dont appeal to me or my hunting,

when i get a pup i commit myself 100% to feeding ,managing,training ,whatever it takes to bringing that pup to his maximun potential , and i expect the same in return, thats how i see this hunting game and it works for me,

,im sure the old injury count will be rolled out again against a committed dog, but a dog learns quickest in drive than any other time, and an experienced mutt learns how to maximise the hedge to his advantage which a half hearted cur will never do,

whatever you do or expect from your dogs is your choice,,but just to add BOLLOX, in reply and not explain your reasoning , dont say alot about ya bud,best of luck to ya anyway,

just to add , i think a lot of lads who's dogs hit hedges will agree with this thread, and the opposite for owners of dogs that wont, so i dont think there is a right or wrong ,is really about how you see yourself , are you half hearted thinker or a balls out braveheart ,laugh.gif

That said, I'd still prefer a dog to go 'in', many a quarry is caught as it enters cover, nowt annoys me more than a dog that slows up to a hedge line and slams on two foot away. Nine times out of ten the quarry is slowing too and a determined and expierienced dog knows this and acts accordingly.

Thats in over 28 years of lamping Undisputed. One of those dogs lost was due to a tree trunk laying at the bottom of the hedge, hidden by cover. The other was a rip that went wrong, even though the vet did all he could, and the eye was a branch of Blackthorn that was standing proud. Accidents can happen with anything, i've seen more lost to ditches than hedges over the years and there's plenty more hazards to contend with too. I've no desire to see any more dog damage, (let alone any deaths!) but by its very nature lamping is dangerous and though by my writings on here, you must think I keep nutty wreckless hounds that have no sence and are being run by an even more sensless owner... The truth is very different, look to my last paragraph above, in bold. ;)

No mate I've read a number of your posts before and you've always came across as someone who knows what they're about. All I was wondering about was your logic in saying what you did given your experience. I've lost good dogs in a similar fashion and it is part and parcel of the game we're in. I like my dogs to be putting on the brakes as they're coming to fences or hedgelines and not go in blazing for obvious reasons which you have already highlighted. If the dog choses to do it fine if it dont then there's always something around the next corner to try again.

I grow too attached to my dogs now (a by product of growing old and grizzly)and enjoy what I do to much to be stuck indoors while my dog recovers or bringing on a new pup cause the last one took itself out on a stump or post. ATB :thumbs:

A dog that dont hit the hedge is lacking in heart, one of the best qualities in a running dog and something that cant be replaced with speed or brains in my experience,

If your dogs had more speed and brains they wouldn't have to hit the hedge. :tongue2: My 2 both go into the hedge but not full force and I'm glad for it. I've had a few injuries and if I had my choice I'd prefer they let it be and move on to the next one. No quarry is worth a dead or injured dog. :thumbdown:

Bollocks!

a dog that wont commit himself to catching his quarry 100% is lacking heart, it wont just show in his not committing himself at ditch's ,hedges it will show in all other aspects of his work ,i have had the misforture to have owned half hearted mutts in the past and no matter how fast or smart the dog was , a dog lacking drive or heart just dont appeal to me or my hunting,

when i get a pup i commit myself 100% to feeding ,managing,training ,whatever it takes to bringing that pup to his maximun potential , and i expect the same in return, thats how i see this hunting game and it works for me,

,im sure the old injury count will be rolled out again against a committed dog, but a dog learns quickest in drive than any other time, and an experienced mutt learns how to maximise the hedge to his advantage which a half hearted cur will never do,

whatever you do or expect from your dogs is your choice,,but just to add BOLLOX, in reply and not explain your reasoning , dont say alot about ya bud,best of luck to ya anyway,

just to add , i think a lot of lads who's dogs hit hedges will agree with this thread, and the opposite for owners of dogs that wont, so i dont think there is a right or wrong ,is really about how you see yourself , are you half hearted thinker or a balls out braveheart ,laugh.gif

I thought my answer was self explanatory, anyway just to expand on it a bit more because a dog slows down or stops at a hedge does not make it half hearted or lacking in drive a dog that just crashes into the dark without thinking will eventually end up dead or crippled. I agree in part about the experienced dog using the hedge to its advantage but it only gains the experience from learing from it's mistakes. :thumbs:

Guest born to run1083

If your dogs had more speed and brains they wouldn't have to hit the hedge. :tongue2: My 2 both go into the hedge but not full force and I'm glad for it. I've had a few injuries and if I had my choice I'd prefer they let it be and move on to the next one. No quarry is worth a dead or injured dog. :thumbdown:

agree 100%, there's no need for PTS crap or thick dogs round here the land sorts them out just fine. had to retire my old boy after moving here for that exact reason round here he wouldn't of been dying from old age that I know for sure

Edited by born to run1083
  • Like 1

Bollocks!

I thought my answer was self explanatory, anyway just to expand on it a bit more because a dog slows down or stops at a hedge does not make it half hearted or lacking in drive a dog that just crashes into the dark without thinking will eventually end up dead or crippled. I agree in part about the experienced dog using the hedge to its advantage but it only gains the experience from learing from it's mistakes. :thumbs:

ok bud, we'll agree to disagree, i think society has played a part in how we see animals today including dogs , they have become part of the family and best friends to some, and as such are treated accordingly,

in my fathers time , 14 of them in the house with not much grub,the runner was a provider not a pet, maybe its that attitude ive taken into my own hunting , do or die, shit or get off the pot,

in saying that ive mellowed with age as well, but i know what i prefare in my runner know, i admire heart in whatever form it comes, human, canine or fowl, but thats a personal thing and i dont expect everyone else to be the same and thats fine, Best of luck with the dogs is a dangerous game they play at night, whatever attitude they bring to their work,,

agree 100%, there's no need for PTS crap or thick dogs round here the land sorts them out just fine. had to retire my old boy after moving here for that exact reason round here he wouldn't of been dying from old age that I know for sure

Thats right mate if people brought there do or die dogs round here I'd say a fair few would be carrying them home.Steady and clever puts game in the bag round here.

Bollocks!

ok bud, we'll agree to disagree, i think society has played a part in how we see animals today including dogs , they have become part of the family and best friends to some, and as such are treated accordingly,

in my fathers time , 14 of them in the house with not much grub,the runner was a provider not a pet, maybe its that attitude ive taken into my own hunting , do or die, shit or get off the pot,

in saying that ive mellowed with age as well, but i know what i prefare in my runner know, i admire heart in whatever form it comes, human, canine or fowl, but thats a personal thing and i dont expect everyone else to be the same and thats fine, Best of luck with the dogs is a dangerous game they play at night, whatever attitude they bring to their work,,

I'm not questioning your methods or how you work your dogs mate just the notion that because a dog doesn't crash a hedge it lacks heart :thumbs: