Lurchers ditching on the lamp.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes you will catch lots more but your dog will be lied up more in the kennel with the injury's it will pick up. Rather have a dog that l can take out then one sitting in the kennel doing nothing. At

I think they get better at it with age, Must admit i do like to see a lurcher hit cover after his rabbit ones that start pulling up just at the hedge will lose a hell of a lot of rabbits

In 25 years of lamping my worst accidents have been with dogs that didn't look before they leapt. Of course a dog should follow its quarry, but with a bit of common sense and savvy: blindly running an

My mut won't chase anything near hedge or bush does my head in won't even enter but middle of field fine does my head right in I put it down to him running into two electric fences hidden in bushes when he was pup

Yes you will catch lots more but your dog will be lied up more in the kennel with the injury's it will pick up.

Rather have a dog that l can take out then one sitting in the kennel doing nothing.

At the end off the day its only a rabbit there going be another 10 in the next field.

Dont mind a dog stopping at hedge having at listen then going in but not at 100mph your just asking for trouble. :thumbs:

• Like 3

Dont mind a dog stopping at hedge having at listen then going in but not at 100mph your just asking for trouble. :thumbs:

Thats fair enough fella,

But i like mine hitting hedges, Like you say the ones that ease up before the hedge will miss a lot more than the ones that dont, When a dog keeps the pressure right to the hedge that what forces rabbit to make that split second error/mistake and bang another for the pot/bag but each to there own no right or wrong either way....

Edited to say when i say hit cover i dont mean smashing right into cover/hedge call it what you like like a headless chicken, Just like something to keep the pressure on till the rabbits acutally in the set, And not something that slows down 20 yrds from the cover :thumbs:

Edited by tiny 7

I don't get what you mean by 'ditching lurcher', round here if its ditched, its thrown the towl in or jacked.

The type I keep will hit hedges till thier dying day... And unfortunatley that can come a fair bit faster than expected!

I'd agree with Tiny and say they do get better with age, but then if you own a hedge splitter, each and every run is different and dependent on how far behind their quarry and how hard they've ran it will determin if its a heart stopping strike or not.

I lost two youngsters in as many years and have an old bugger here with one eye, how his mother never lost any before him is a mystery, she had to have her eyes stitched shut three times because of damage.

That said, I'd still prefer a dog to go 'in', many a quarry is caught as it enters cover, nowt annoys me more than a dog that slows up to a hedge line and slams on two foot away. Nine times out of ten the quarry is slowing too and a determined dog knows this and acts accordingly.

I don't get what you mean by 'ditching lurcher', round here if its ditched, its thrown the towl in or jacked.

The type I keep will hit hedges till thier dying day... And unfortunatley that can come a fair bit faster than expected!

I'd agree with Tiny and say they do get better with age, but then if you own a hedge splitter, each and every run is different and dependent on how far behind their quarry and how hard they've ran it will determin if its a heart stopping strike or not.

I lost two youngsters in as many years and have an old bugger here with one eye, how his mother never lost any before him is a mystery, she had to have her eyes stitched shut three times because of damage.

That said, I'd still prefer a dog to go 'in', many a quarry is caught as it enters cover, nowt annoys me more than a dog that slows up to a hedge line and slams on two foot away. Nine times out of ten the quarry is slowing too and a determined dog knows this and acts accordingly.

:thumbs:

That is my point you have lost 2 pups and one is blind in one eye for hitting a ditch after a rabbit.Its a rabbit there is going be plenty more in the next field there is no need for dog to kill its self just for rabbit.

There is a difference in a dog that knows when to put the foot down but under control and an out an out loon that wont last 2 full seasons.

All my dogs ditch during the day after rabbit hare and fox though stuff a dog should not get though but there is big diffence in ditching during the day then at night.

At night it has to be controlled over you have lots bills (vet) or only getting out 1/4 season because the dog is always hurt. :thumbs:

• 2 months later...

Ditching where I am Bosun means "hit a ditch/hedge,push through". I like a dog that will burst a hedge,thats pure driven and cant help itself,this type of dog would always be my aim.Ive seen dogs that after many years stopped ditching or became calculating about it,on the lamp that is.Theres not that many about I think that have that do or die trying attitude and less still that have that attitude all there working days.

Yes you will catch lots more but your dog will be lied up more in the kennel with the injury's it will pick up.

Rather have a dog that l can take out then one sitting in the kennel doing nothing.

At the end off the day its only a rabbit there going be another 10 in the next field.

I can see your logic Ice but it wasnt rabbits that I was refering to :thumbs: