what sire to line my bitch?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You can't go wrong putting some grafting saluki blood in there in my opinion.   Gaz

put a 3/4 grey 1/4 collie across her,too many ingredients in the cocktail only sour the taste,imo ;-)

Posted Images

My logic would be that the bitch you have is all the animal you'd need, apart from an extra bit of speed and ain't we all lookin for that from time to time in our dogs!

So, if that collie type suits, then keep to the same and look to a big rangy 3/4 collie cross and take a racy pup.

If you were looking to just add sighthound to improve the speed, then i'd go for a mixed breed sighthound, pref saluki based. The bottom line in whatever you use is that it grafts and grafts plenty!

Oh, just to add, why, if that collie type suits, would you look to any other breed... Don't, because you'll loose all that you know and like...!!!! ;)

mines just just about 25" sire to mine was 3/4 saluki 1/4 lurcher ..dam was a bizta ...there was a tad of bull in the dam ...hes 5 years old and hes a fast dog...he might of lost a little bit of speed but theres a good few lads on here whos seen him run ..and most important hes got a real big heart....hes run every type of land big fen and small rocky stoney hedgy you name it ...post-4253-0-46412700-1302896677_thumb.jpg

I say 3/4 Greyhound 1/4 Collie and why not go for a Whippet/Greyhound you keep speed with both of this type at the end of the day its up to you mate :thumbs:

put a 3/4 grey 1/4 collie across her,too many ingredients in the cocktail only sour the taste,imo ;-)

• Like 1

I say 3/4 Greyhound 1/4 Collie and why not go for a Whippet/Greyhound you keep speed with both of this type at the end of the day its up to you mate :thumbs:

Yes but a good curry would be a bit bland with only two ingredients in the pot lol.

mines just just about 25" sire to mine was 3/4 saluki 1/4 lurcher ..dam was a bizta ...there was a tad of bull in the dam ...hes 5 years old and hes a fast dog...he might of lost a little bit of speed but theres a good few lads on here whos seen him run ..and most important hes got a real big heart....hes run every type of land big fen and small rocky stoney hedgy you name it ...post-4253-0-46412700-1302896677_thumb.jpg

thats one strong looking dog you have there,,jack

i have a similar bred bitch and have thought about this a lot, but as well as picking a stud to improve your bitch youve gotta think of the land and quarry you hunt, but i think the most important thing is youve (and me too) gotta be honest about whats good and bad in your bitch and what you really want in a pup, then youv'e gotta find maybe 8 other people looking for the same in a pup or you could end up with a few pups leftover. the well tested greyhound collie / greyhound deerhound mix might work well but do you use a 1st or 2nd cross or even a pure deerhound, i also fancy a beddy cross but am a wee bit put off with the thought that a pup or two could throw to the collie / beddy type. think long and hard friend gotta get a big desicsion like this right

good luck

i have a similar bred bitch and have thought about this a lot, but as well as picking a stud to improve your bitch youve gotta think of the land and quarry you hunt, but i think the most important thing is youve (and me too) gotta be honest about whats good and bad in your bitch and what you really want in a pup, then youv'e gotta find maybe 8 other people looking for the same in a pup or you could end up with a few pups leftover. the well tested greyhound collie / greyhound deerhound mix might work well but do you use a 1st or 2nd cross or even a pure deerhound, i also fancy a beddy cross but am a wee bit put off with the thought that a pup or two could throw to the collie / beddy type. think long and hard friend gotta get a big desicsion like this right

good luck

I understant wat your saying and can only go on my own exspirience in breeding lurcher to lurcher mixes even though their was a lot of variation in the pups non ever just threw to the non running side of the breeds in the cross.

Iv made up my mind lads if young buck still has the famous Kemp,iv seen this dog work and is 2nd to none,I also know that it throes great pups,I will post a pic of the dam and sire when she breakdown and keep you lads informed on how it goes.cheers for the input everyone