Vet says dont give bones

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am afraid this is the kind of badly informed information you can get from people not in the know   Cooked bones are dangerous, so never give these Raw bones especially non weight baring ones(nec

Aye - you've got in in one there mate. I'm old enough to remember when there was only 2/3 brands of complete food on the market - Wilson's and Happidog are two I recall. The complete food market is a

In my head, i liken it to eating fish, i love fish, eat plenty of different sorts, so theres always a chance I might choke on a fish bone, but haven't in 38 years, and will continue to eat fish.  

Ox knuckle, now, that's a bone, i would NOT, feed my dogs! :no:

It breaks up their back teeth and believe you me, you don't want that!! :no:

How many of your dogs has this caused problems with?

My lurcher cracked a back tooth, it was causing her some discomfort, so i took her to the vet, in the meant time, some tooth came away. The vet said, feeding soft raw bones was fine, but not, weight baring bones. :thumbs:

He said she was lucky, if it was cracked deeper, it would of needed surgery! High vets bill!

He said, lamb breast, young rabbits, chicken was fine, but stay away from heavy, weight baring bones, like ox knuckle, marrow ect.

Guest reload

I am afraid this is the kind of badly informed information you can get from people not in the know :thumbs:

Cooked bones are dangerous, so never give these

Raw bones especially non weight baring ones(neck, ribs, wings, etc)are fine

Too much bone can cause compaction in the digestive tract, so dont feed too much on its own.

• Like 2

It's simple, FEED RAW bones, DO NOT feed COOKED bones.

Your vet is either lying to you or believes someone else's lies. Dogs have ate raw bones for as long as they've been on this earth, which is a lot longer than we have been here, and a lot longer than your vet and his opinion.

• Like 1

There is a risk to feeding bones and vets do occasionally see the negative side but having said that I feed non weight bearing bones and skinned/gutted rabbit, weight bearing from bones from larger animals are very dense and can wear down or break teeth prematurely, after all dogs aren't hyenas. One cause of problems is, as my mate reload states above, to many causing bowel compaction and dogs not used to them can swallow large pieces which may be a problem plus some risk of damage to the mouth lining. So IMO it's something people need to consider in light of the very real dangers against the positives of clean teeth etc and make their own decisions, dont think there is a right or wrong answer.

Edited by sandymere

My pup has been eating racks of lamb since 6 weeks old and is fine. My terrier bitch who I got a few months back had never seen Raw food but now she loves it. Dogs look awesome on it.

My vets provide a leaflet on diet and recommend "home made diets" consisting of cooked meat, veg and pasta. Whilst this is better than alot of the commercial food I sill prefer raw.

The leaflet continues to say that dogs can get salmonella from raw chicken in the same way humans can. And that Raw bones can puncture the intestines.

Bull!!!

Why would a vet want you to feed bones and raw to a dog. If you are doing that you aren't buying the science diet the your vet sells.

Aye - you've got in in one there mate. I'm old enough to remember when there was only 2/3 brands of complete food on the market - Wilson's and Happidog are two I recall. The complete food market is a massive multi-million pound business/rip off. f**k me some of those brands are £45.00 for a 15kg sack!!! I feed Gain 28 and raw beef, chicken, lamb, rabbit, tripe, chicken wings, quarters, lamb ribs, organ meat, liver, kidney, hearts, bones, fish, sardines, mackerel, pasta and brown bread and vegetables, olive oil and/or Cod Liver Oil thrice a week. I buy in bulk and plan things a few days in advance. Keep it imaginative and interesting and you'll not go too far wrong. SCIENCE PLAN MY ARSE!!!!

• Like 2

I'm getting on a bit now and have alway's fed Bones but ONLY Ribs as I have in the past had problems when a Dog has chomped on something bigger

I find that Ribs carry a nice bit of meat and are soft enough not to splinter or break Teeth.

ive worked at numerous rescue centres and kennels over the years, ive seen a couple of cases of bones damaging the mouths of dogs, but its fairly rare. i wouldnt advise giving bones id just make sure you supervise the dog whilst its eating them.

are you for real,so your telling us to watch our dogs while they eat a bone, well i surpose thats ok if its off a sparrow