collie greyhound!

Collie x's CAN and DO make good all-rounders though they excel at rabbiting,IMO they are the probably the best all-round coney catchers in the lurcher world.The term all-rounder is bandied about a lot but I think the majority of people don't actually realise what a true all-rounder has to do to be given the acolade.Time and the current hunting climate are just 2 things that make having the all-rounder a difficult proposition these days..........jack of all trades,master of none.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes Sowhat . . .Old Drum wasn't a bad type of dog and Grand sire to this bitch that I have here. He's passed 1 or 2 trait's on        

No such thing as 'best'.

yes mate you are right, regards rabbits Bryn my 1x colliegrey is a brill on rabbits, he as caught big bags lamping in alot of places , and as mooching+feretting dog as got birds few bigger rabbits+ w

Posted Images

Just my opinion but I wouldn't recommend a collie greyhound to anyone. Yes, they can be very versitile and can turn their hand to just about anything but its a cross not for either the novice, or for someone without time and dedication, and if that dedication is put in, you'll have a cracker.

Bird (Ray) owns a cracker, he's very proud of his boy Bryn and rightly so BUT Ray's been into his lurchers for many a year and from what I know on here, is a latteral thinker on all things dog and has also put plenty of time and effort in to get the best out of Bryn.

I'd also agree with Poach, nowt wrong with a good smattering of collie blood but genuine half crosses IMO need both a good and sensible handler and plenty of time and effort to get the most out of 'em. If you can guarantee that you fit both categorys, then you'll do very well..! :thumbs:

WELL SAID PAUL ;) AMEN

REVEREND FLECK LET US SPRAY LOL

JAY

Just my opinion but I wouldn't recommend a collie greyhound to anyone. Yes, they can be very versitile and can turn their hand to just about anything but its a cross not for either the novice, or for someone without time and dedication, and if that dedication is put in, you'll have a cracker.

Bird (Ray) owns a cracker, he's very proud of his boy Bryn and rightly so BUT Ray's been into his lurchers for many a year and from what I know on here, is a latteral thinker on all things dog and has also put plenty of time and effort in to get the best out of Bryn.

I'd also agree with Poach, nowt wrong with a good smattering of collie blood but genuine half crosses IMO need both a good and sensible handler and plenty of time and effort to get the most out of 'em. If you can guarantee that you fit both categorys, then you'll do very well..! :thumbs:

WELL SAID PAUL ;) AMEN

REVEREND FLECK 'LET US SPRAY' LOL

JAY

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

No such thing as 'best'.

yeah ,there is why is the olympics,world cup held every 4 years,The best lurchers ive seen (all rounders) have been collie greyhound 3/4 breds-put any bull x to shame on stuff with teeth.Then again ive seen some fairly shite ones as well.

while i agree that dedication and persistance is a must for a collie cross, as they need loads of work. i find myself wondering what everyones definition of 'allrounder' is. has anybody mentioned working cover, beating, retrieving shot game, nets (long and gate)etc etc. i am of course taking it for granted that it can catch game , fur and feather, get around the countryside ie jump over and through and retrieve. my collie cross also is a great house dog, would bite an intruder, is great with kids, carrys the paper back from the shop, fetches the post from the postie and loads of other 'tricks' but what exactly is an allrounder

while i agree that dedication and persistance is a must for a collie cross, as they need loads of work. i find myself wondering what everyones definition of 'allrounder' is. has anybody mentioned working cover, beating, retrieving shot game, nets (long and gate)etc etc. i am of course taking it for granted that it can catch game , fur and feather, get around the countryside ie jump over and through and retrieve. my collie cross also is a great house dog, would bite an intruder, is great with kids, carrys the paper back from the shop, fetches the post from the postie and loads of other 'tricks' but what exactly is an allrounder

spot on ,1 mans defanition of allrounder is totally different 2 the next mans :thumbs:

I do like the Collie cross,their attributes and prowess in the field is legendary,they need to be challenged and worked hard to get the optimum out of them,i found that adding Deerhound/grey to the mix makes a more useful allrounder.

http://www.artydog.co.uk/lurcher-drum.htm

IMO This dog was the ideal allrounder in the day he could work to ferret/course hares/work to gun/lamp/and compete at obedience trials, smart dog :thumbs: cracking owner :thumbs:

Yes Sowhat . . .Old Drum wasn't a bad type of dog and Grand sire to this bitch that I have here. He's passed 1 or 2 trait's on :thumbs:

doglineb.jpg

thenanother-1.jpg

AC003.jpg

TedEs007.jpg

• Like 3

game.brains.great feet.good stamina, what else more do you want in a dog

Horses 4 courses innit :icon_eek: .I have ran, some "great looking -shit dogs :wallbash: and some shit looking- great dogs .But i like the collie/greyhound :toast::toast::toast: got a half bred and a quarter bred pup :big_boss: due in april.