collie greyhound!

theres some cracking half crosses around,, that do well at the rabbit game,,, but if you want an all rounder i think like some of the others,, best of with a bitsa type with a bit of collie,,, not 50%.

yes mate you are right, regards rabbits Bryn my 1x colliegrey is a brill on rabbits, he as caught big bags lamping in alot of places :thumbs: , and as mooching+feretting dog as got birds few bigger rabbits+ wooden tops :thumbs: and i think 1x collie greys, are hard to beat at the above job i think. But as TOMO says for other quarry , you dont need 50% collie. A X if it came out right is a salukixgrey x colliexgrey, this would be spot on as alrounder. :thumbs:

Bryn 1x collie grey 25in 59lb 4 in sep, very racey for a 1x, fast+agile

msg-6933-1271070938.jpg

post-6933-125370340brynbestnight-1.jpg

• Like 1

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes Sowhat . . .Old Drum wasn't a bad type of dog and Grand sire to this bitch that I have here. He's passed 1 or 2 trait's on        

No such thing as 'best'.

yes mate you are right, regards rabbits Bryn my 1x colliegrey is a brill on rabbits, he as caught big bags lamping in alot of places , and as mooching+feretting dog as got birds few bigger rabbits+ w

Posted Images

run a collie/grey myself just had his first full season and done everything ive asked of him r/h/d/f, only his first season but pleased with him, but like been said you need to try and pick the one that takes to the grey a little bit more on the half xs, but deer/grey/collie/grey would be my choice to TRY to make a allrounder

run a collie/grey myself just had his first full season and done everything ive asked of him r/h/d/f, only his first season but pleased with him, but like been said you need to try and pick the one that takes to the grey a little bit more on the half xs, but deer/grey/collie/grey would be my choice to TRY to make a allrounder

that x ( d/g x c/g) was a very good x in the mid 70s, i like that x as long as they dont get to big :thumbs:

that x ( d/g x c/g) was a very good x in the mid 70s, i like that x as long as they dont get to big :thumbs:

:thumbs: was runnig this cross about 12 year ago, and when looking for my collie/grey pup tried to get another but couldnt find a litter knowhere, but he was a good honest dog 26 1/2 tts got a pick somewhere will try and scan and get it on :thumbs:

Edited by nighteyes

My border collie greyhound is surprisingly quick off the mark and very agile, has demon strike when it takes her fancy, she tends to pull up far too early sometimes when chasing towards a hedge and im somebody who likes my dogs to ere on the side of caution. I know how good a hunting dog they can be, but i wouldn't say the 1st cross is the best all rounder. I think its right what people say that its a bit of gamble with 1st cross collie/greyhounds.

ALRIGHT MEN.

HAD A 1ST X ONCE THE BEST ALLROUNDER ID EVER SEEN .THIS DOG WAS MORE OF A MAGICIAN THAN PAUL DANIELS HE COULD PULL EVERYTHING OUTTA A HAT .

UNTIL HE ALL OF A SUDDEN 21/2YRS OLD TOOK A FANCY FOR MUTTON AND OTHER DOGS.

HAD TO B/B HIM LIABILITY COULDNT BE TRUSTED.

ALLROUNDER IN ALL DEPTS.NAE HARE KILLER THOUGH HAD LOTS OUTTA THE DITCHES BUT NO A STAYER TO SLOW.:thumbs:

theres some cracking half crosses around,, that do well at the rabbit game,,, but if you want an all rounder i think like some of the others,, best of with a bitsa type with a bit of collie,,, not 50%.

yes mate you are right, regards rabbits Bryn my 1x colliegrey is a brill on rabbits, he as caught big bags lamping in alot of places :thumbs: , and as mooching+feretting dog as got birds few bigger rabbits+ wooden tops :thumbs: and i think 1x collie greys, are hard to beat at the above job i think. But as TOMO says for other quarry , you dont need 50% collie. A X if it came out right is a salukixgrey x colliexgrey, this would be spot on as alrounder. :thumbs:

Bryn 1x collie grey 25in 59lb 4 in sep, very racey for a 1x, fast+agile

msg-6933-1271070938.jpg

post-6933-125370340brynbestnight-1.jpg

first lurcher i ever owned from a pup was a saluki x greyhound x collie x greyhound still the best all round lurcher i've ever owned !!! and still talked about 30 year's later around my area !!!! if i'd been into running the "fen's" when she was in her prime she would have been a legend "sally the queen of syerscote" a machine day or night.

WELL IF YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT AN ALL ROUNDER IN THE TRADITIONAL SENSE,THIS 3/4 BRED FROM HANCOCKS TAFFY WAS THE NEAREST IVE SEEN, HE COULD TAKE ALL QUARRY BUT WAS NEVER A TRUE COURSING DOG BUT TOOK BROWN HARES IN SHORT SLIPS OR HUNTED UP & TOOK WHITE HARES EASILY; EXCELLENT NOSE WHETHER HUNTING COVER OR MARKING BURROWS. SUPRISINGLY QUICK FOR A BIG DOG & AN EXCELLENT STRIKE WHETHER AT BOLTERS OR HUNTED UP RABBITS. GOOD LAMPING DOG ALSO & COULD TAKE BIGGER GAME & ALSO FOX. DURING HIS DECLINING YEARS HIS OWNER TOOK HIM DEER STALKING WHERE HE WOULD INDICATE WHEN A DEER WAS NEARBY & IF THE DEER HADNT BEEN DROPPED CLEANLY HE WOULD FOLLOW THE TRAIL & LEAD THE OWNER TO WHERE IT LAY, SINCE SEEN MANY OF SIMILAR BREEDING BUT TO ME HE WAS A ONE OFF:thumbs:2011-02-1219-15-50_0009.jpg

• Like 1

i've been brought up around collie lurchers and still quite regulary go owt with a few lads that have 1st Xs round my way and as all round running dogs you carn't go far wrong, yes some pick their runs and yes they have bad points but your going to get that in any cross, ive seen thm take big game and little and i think they have a better method of dealing most quarry and tend to get less chewed up in the process atb

my very first lurcher was a 3/4hound 1/4 collie. had her from pup and brought her on. she was brillient, i bought my first car from her ability to catch rabbits, every single one of em from first to last back to hand without a mark, we often had over 30 live bunnies commin home with us in a night, lads soon got sick of comming out with me tho cause a bag of bunnies gets very heavy after a while!! i strongly reccomend em.

Just my opinion but I wouldn't recommend a collie greyhound to anyone. Yes, they can be very versitile and can turn their hand to just about anything but its a cross not for either the novice, or for someone without time and dedication, and if that dedication is put in, you'll have a cracker.

Bird (Ray) owns a cracker, he's very proud of his boy Bryn and rightly so BUT Ray's been into his lurchers for many a year and from what I know on here, is a latteral thinker on all things dog and has also put plenty of time and effort in to get the best out of Bryn.

I'd also agree with Poach, nowt wrong with a good smattering of collie blood but genuine half crosses IMO need both a good and sensible handler and plenty of time and effort to get the most out of 'em. If you can guarantee that you fit both categorys, then you'll do very well..! :thumbs:

Are you planning to throw Bryn over a salxgry?? at sometime, I do like reading about Bryn, i tend to rate dog on what they put on the dinner plate!! and this dog is class.

Edited by jambay5

Are you planning to throw Bryn over a salxgry?? at sometime, I do like reading about Bryn, i tend to rate dog on what they put on the dinner plate!! and this dog is class.

Thanks mate + paul, yes i would use him on a salukixgrey , get a good proven bitch. You could have some great pups with a bit of luck from both parents :thumbs: He is 4 in sep and as caught loads of edible game, he seems to get better all the while, and as ive always said he is fast for 1x and very agile, a good dog.!

Thanks mate + paul, yes i would use him on a salukixgrey , get a good proven bitch. You could have some great pups with a bit of luck from both parents :thumbs: He is 4 in sep and as caught loads of edible game, he seems to get better all the while, and as ive always said he is fast for 1x and very agile, a good dog.!

yer i think they could be very good all rounders, like wise if put over a whippet could be first class rabbiting dogs :thumbs: