hard terriers

Guest busterdog

I totaly agree with almost everything your saying if not everything, but when you've had a few and your getting a bit older and wiser you tend (or i do) not to abuse the trust of a good terrier but to use it as and where suites the dog.

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cant be arsed to trawl the thread to see if i posted in it but wuthout the hard ,rough type we would have no future workers to work .

You can only piss with the dick you've got, if you've got hard terriers then work them accordingly, in the right sort of place. What's a man to do should his stock suddenly breed hard terriers ? Shoul

Lads if your dog is mute, an takes some flack, or if your dogs mute an dont take flack, whats the problem, as long as the dog STAYS. If you have quarry thats been therre before, you need a good d

Posted Images

I totaly agree with almost everything your saying if not everything, but when you've had a few and your getting a bit older and wiser you tend (or i do) not to abuse the trust of a good terrier but to use it as and where suites the dog.

Absolutely.

I'm all for testing dogs to their fullest, but the mark of a good terrierman should be to know when they have had enough before they have. They all have their limits, as do all animals. Why do people see the need to prove a dogs limit by making it chuck it?

FTB

Absolutely.

I'm all for testing dogs to their fullest, but the mark of a good terrierman should be to know when they have had enough before they have. They all have their limits, as do all animals. Why do people see the need to prove a dogs limit by making it chuck it?

FTB

seen a few what youngsters what should have made a 1/2 decent terrier throw the towel in through to seeing/doing too much too often.

Absolutely.

FTB

not at all about making it chuck, that would be crazy. but when yourve seen a standard you want to achive that was achived by some dogs there is no reason not to test a dog to that limit. if you don't put a knackered in pain dog to ground then it should be as good on its 5th dig as it was on its first.. if not better.

over matching and abusing a dog is VERY diffrent to testing it. some dogs will work and work no matter their state... but thems that know, know this before you get to the bottom of them.

Guest dee mac

You can not fully test a truely hard dog so why do so many value them as brood stock????

Why cant a truely hard dog not be tested ?

Because IMO to fully test a dog it needs to be used in many different earths and situations many times a season. Hard dogs can't be tested as they are sat in the kennel when they should be getting dug. Like i have already said i think many people are getting a hard dog and a rough dog mixed up they are not the same animal.

imo I think people get mixed up with hard and game dogs ....but surely working a hard dog as much as you can is a form of testing ....I have a dog I would consider hardon foxes that has had a few 4hour plus digs 1 last year he was on for over 4hours with a jcb digging down to him and never moved and we opened up to the dog with his fox dead and the dog had nothinng left in the tank on the point of collapse but he stayed with it he has had a double 4 yolkers this season 2 of which both were dead surely thats a test for any terrier so I have to disagree that hard dogs cant be tested .

FTB this is not a macho thing but the hole point of the thread is is there any point to working hard dogs and like ive already said all types have there place and as you said as long as there stayers

im not sure about this one... cant make my mind up. i think dogs are tested in different ways individually. my personal gripe with most terriers and terrier men is that they are considered good when they have actually seen very little. im not into numbers for numbers sake but a dog thats had volume in what ever way it works and in lots of different scenarios is the key for me. obviously different people do different amounts but on the whole when you see what some folk pull or have done alot yourself with a few different dogs you will be in a dream world of what a dog can achieve or what tested is. (i know moo and bulter are aware of what a tested dog is which is why im adding my 2 pence).

digging to a dog once and twice a month on a sunday just dosent cut it for me. although fun it is no test for a dog hard or not. it is definitely worth considering that if these so called hard dog were pushed a bit harder they would not be so hard in the long run. ive had lots of people rock up with so called hard/mute dogs. now i have a habit of testing dogs (perhaps harder than others rightly or wrongly) and have no problem with digging to a dog that has taken some stick on one dig several more times that day aslong as the adrenaline is up and the dog isnt in any pain... this is the test that most hard dogs dont get because im afraid for most the "medals" have already been ernt. this is when you find out if the hard/mute dogs are truly this or just hasnt seen enough or are to fresh.

the definition of a hard dog is a difficult one.a good hard dog definitely has its uses and despite the common thoughts on a hard dog dosent have to be mute and certainly dosent have to be scared. however there are only very few situation where they will out perform a good mixer consistently.

good post
Guest busterdog

I never thought you meant make the dog chuck it, it's just after having alot of hard dogs over the years and plenty of dogs you can dig and dig again, i've gone a bit beatrix potter and think abit before i use the dogs, they have nothing to prove to me or anyone else.

Guest dee mac

I never thought you meant make the dog chuck it, it's just after having alot of hard dogs over the years and plenty of dogs you can dig and dig again, i've gone a bit beatrix potter and think abit before i use the dogs, they have nothing to prove to me or anyone else.

also a good point but surely only applied to the older well worked dogs that have proved themselves time and again over a lot of seasons in a range of earths .a friend once said too me that i would find it hard too replace a certain dog i have here at the minute god forbid if i ever lost him or in future when years catch up on him but too be honest he s now set the bench mark in my kennells and thats the standard i ll expect from the dogs i keep from now till day i die some might not just reach that standard but they ll have too be pretty close and some might be just as good but if one can do it then no reason the rest cant so i say work them hard make sure there made of what you think there made off and the honest terrier will be safe for years too come weather there a hard dog a mixer s or combination of the two .

Am with you buster been there done that TEST , HARD, 100% , WORKING TERRIERS AINT ABOUT TESTING ITS ABOUT TERRIERS

AND KNOWING YOUR TERRIER , who in there right mind would push a terrier to breaking point , why for what reason

for the gratifacation of who , terriers aint robots , over use anything and you will break it ,

Edited by gonetoearth

terrier should be in the best of health before its worked,your a sad ass if you work him sore the machoo bullshit of some has seen many a promiseing terrier PTS :censored: , if your dog is hard let him heal :thumbs: this test to quit is a fools game because every terrier will quit if its pushed to far :thumbdown:

i for one let mine heal too long if anything so who is this aimed at..

i see nothing good on scared up terriers,neither do i choose to show mine at hunt shows although each to their own.

many of my friends work their terriers to their full and show them.

didnt think you did mate :thumbs:

I might blow this whole thread up but from experienced dog men that have had all dogs in there kennels which breed tends to be the most "hard" terrier when working a fox to ground be it lakey russel or patt ?

Ive seen little russell typs destroy foxs to ground and also seen big bruisers of pats stand of their fox,they all work in different ways,best ive ever seen was a little lakey bitch that was to ground on badger pre ban for 3 days she was a demon on fox after that,lost all interest in billy,she could be tried anywhere.Can i hijack this thread now and ask,IS A FOX A REAL TEST FOR A WORKING TERRIER.

heard mention of dogs (in france) that would be bred for digging badger (legally, abroad)who have been known to be beat on rare occasions by seasoned foxes, havent yet heard mention of a fox dog that wasnt beat by badger if it made the mistake of going after the wrong quarry.... of course we will never know as we DONT dig badger in the uk or ireland any more :thumbs: its just a rumour, summit i heard off the internet

• Like 1

heard mention of dogs (in france) that would be bred for digging badger (legally, abroad)who have been known to be beat on rare occasions by seasoned foxes, havent yet heard mention of a fox dog that wasnt beat by badger if it made the mistake of going after the wrong quarry.... of course we will never know as we DONT dig badger in the uk or ireland any more :thumbs: its just a rumour, summit i heard off the internet

Well there you go then.

FTB

terrier should be in the best of health before its worked,your a sad ass if you work him sore the machoo bullshit of some has seen many a promiseing terrier PTS :censored: , if your dog is hard let him heal :thumbs: this test to quit is a fools game because every terrier will quit if its pushed to far :thumbdown:

i for one let mine heal too long if anything so who is this aimed at..

i see nothing good on scared up terriers,neither do i choose to show mine at hunt shows although each to their own.

many of my friends work their terriers to their full and show them.

its not aimed at you