Who misses the Waterloo cup ?why?

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I used to do the 3 days , the call over on the Monday night , over the road to the disco under the Scarisbrick , great to see Sir Mark Presscott pissed on the dance floor always had women hanging off

Mate I m nearly cryin here,just the sound over the tannoy made me hair stand up haha I f****n loved it,does anyone remember two hippy brothers on the bank rotten on the whisky one ran on pretending to

thats what they do in ireland prob cos you would not find anuf hares in one day two run the comp but at atlcar all hares are wild and beated with lots of men walkin in lines for miles drivein them two

i hate the antis as much as anybody,,,, but as far as the antis are concerned the estate played in to there hands by shooting the hares..... because the antis will say the hunting people and estate wernt bothered about the hares, and lets face it they wernt or they wouldnt have shot them.

another thing aswell,,, we all know hares were netted and moved around even altcar had them brought in some times... why wernt the hares netted and moved afterwards,,, of course you will never net as many as can be shot at night with the rifle,,, but they could have saved some ,,,, ££££££££££ of course to much money to do that , when theres no financial gain.

the above just goes to show how little the estate thought of the hares. wich gives the antis ammo.

and like i said about the ilegal coursing,,, they could just have let the police deal with it... this like i said would have been two fingers to the government for banning coursing, from an estate that was supposed to have been a coursing mecca

Altcar estate tennants had to tolerate the crop damage done by the hares, the reason to provide sport for the Altcar CC and later the same season the Waterloo Cup 2 completely seperate entities,as for the estate not bothered about the hares :icon_eek: Sam Bell was brought before the Altcar committee for failing to provide enough hares for a meeting :yes: that was part of his job the welfare of the hares providing cover,feeding and protecting them. The Withens had a game cover planted at the top as a preserve for the beaten hares prior to them being pushed out flanked and brought past the shy.So there was an awful lot of conservation went into providing the hares that few will realise :thumbs: All this in the name of coursing THEN it was banned, (if football or any other sport got banned would the fans still pay to go into an empty stadium?)

the hares were shot in drives not bulleted at night as there was no more coursing If the landowners could no longer enjoy the spectacle why should they let poachers pinching a run rub their noses in the dirt? If you were a landowner and had restrictions on what you could do on your own land How would you feel about somebody coming on and coursing when you could n't?

Would you ever consider going back on the Calendar,Forley or Windmill Clubs land for a run?

Y.I.S Leeview

We tried Field Trialling Greyhounds muzzled dogs shotguns in place ...

That was the worsed site i ever watched, it put a downer on the whole thing.

Agreed it was a far cry from what we were accustomd to, But necessity is the mother of invevtion :thumbs: at least we tried

Y.I.S Leeview

Any one with an interest in coursing misses the waterloo, fortunately im old enough to have attended several times, i get pissed off when i think of the good times i had when i could drive down the road and go to the old yorkshire and rydale meets, i feel sorry for the young lads that never got the chance to go to a properly organised meet.Same thing happened round malton when the ban came in more hares were shot in one day than were killed by greyhounds in several seasons. As a shooting man myself i refuse to shoot hares, and would never attend a hare drive id feel like a member of a firing squad.

Wholeheartedly agree thee keepitcovert :thumbs: dont forget Sherburn Farmers,coursing alongside the A64 three stakes not one kill, while on the otherside of the road 93 hares were shot the same morning :cry: then back to the East Riding for the presentations

Y.I.S Leeview

weather they got a bullet or shot iant the issue... the fact remains they were got rid of becuase they were no longer a comodaty... yes of course an estate has to make money of course it does. and im shure that fella put alot of effort in to there welfare :thumbs: but by getting rid it gives antis ammo..... in other words we will protect wild animals whilst theres £££ to make.

so there not realy bothered about the hares welfare are they??? wel certainy not anymore

i would run the windmill land , if the lads that i know, no longer had permision,,,, but they do still have permision so i dont . i dont see this being quite relavent, lee.

Getting back on topic.... I miss the Waterloo Cup, 'cause it was the one time of year when Lords and layabouts, accountants and coal miners, pillars of society and scallys, could all get together with one thing in common .....RUNNING DOGS !!!! Social standing, rich and poor, didn't matter a shit, all got excited when the Hare came thru' and the Slipper started running !!! There was cheers when the Hare made her escape and cheers when the Greyhound made a good kill ! It's a part of life that old blokes like me will not see again, and young lads in the game can only dream about .......

Cheers.

• Like 1

weather they got a bullet or shot iant the issue... the fact remains they were got rid of becuase they were no longer a comodaty... yes of course an estate has to make money of course it does. and im shure that fella put alot of effort in to there welfare :thumbs: but by getting rid it gives antis ammo..... in other words we will protect wild animals whilst theres £££ to make.

so there not realy bothered about the hares welfare are they??? wel certainy not anymore

i would run the windmill land , if the lads that i know, no longer had permision,,,, but they do still have permision so i dont . i dont see this being quite relavent, lee.

PRESCISELY you would nt do it on another lurcher clubs land but there are many that would go on Altcar :thumbs: many lurchers were run beyond the bank on hares that had already been run down the Withens in a course that day

The £££££ keeps coming up :hmm: Yes the estate would get money from the Waterloo Cup, Altcar Club very little money would be taken on their 3 meetings maybe enough to pay the beaters if they were lucky. In the late 70's the Waterloo was down and out on its last legs and a group of supporters got together put their hands deep into their own pockets and breathed fresh life into ressurecting the Cup this they achieved so it would of folded without this input and their pockets were well reimbursed not the estate over the years :thumbs:

Y.I.S Leeview

Getting back on topic.... I miss the Waterloo Cup, 'cause it was the one time of year when Lords and layabouts, accountants and coal miners, pillars of society and scallys, could all get together with one thing in common .....RUNNING DOGS !!!! Social standing, rich and poor, didn't matter a shit, all got excited when the Hare came thru' and the Slipper started running !!! There was cheers when the Hare made her escape and cheers when the Greyhound made a good kill ! It's a part of life that old blokes like me will not see again, and young lads in the game can only dream about .......

Cheers.

Hit the nail on the head there mate.

• Like 1

Got some great memories of attending the cup, I always stood near the bookies to have a little bet.

Best bet I had was when Mouse Tail won the cup in 87 :thumbs: what a cracking little black bitch she was.

I used to want the bookies fur coat haha an the money in it :whistling:

LITTLE a true gent

Cheers.

"it was one time a year..." that may be so if you only went to the Waterloo Cup :yes: I must of been lucky to of been out 3-4-5days a week and that statement would apply to any coursing meeting not just the Waterloo Cup

Y.I.S Leeview

HERES SOMTHING ELSE I THOUGHT,,,, its been said that the hares were shot , so ilegal coursing would be a waste of time.......ok i get that,,,, but the irony is,,,,, it was the very support from lurcher lads that gave the estate its numbers at the warterloo... i bet 3/4 of the crowd were lurcher lads that have poached at one time or another......... you know im right .

so after its banned the hares were shot , to stop us lot........the very people that paid the entry money.......... sad ..............

aye and the clubs and the rich landowners are still coursing within the law, Its us the majority that bears the brunt of the ban and pays the price in our pockets when we get caught. This law is like the old forest laws of old keeping us of the land... :thumbdown:

HERES SOMTHING ELSE I THOUGHT,,,, its been said that the hares were shot , so ilegal coursing would be a waste of time.......ok i get that,,,, but the irony is,,,,, it was the very support from lurcher lads that gave the estate its numbers at the warterloo... i bet 3/4 of the crowd were lurcher lads that have poached at one time or another......... you know im right .

so after its banned the hares were shot , to stop us lot........the very people that paid the entry money.......... sad ..............

aye and the clubs and the rich landowners are still coursing within the law, Its us the majority that bears the brunt of the ban and pays the price in our pockets when we get caught. This law is like the old forest laws of old keeping us of the land... :thumbdown:

Hare Coursing was, before the ban, and still is, ilegal to me, as I never had permission anywhere. I enjoyed going to my local coursing club, The Border & Coquetdale, and enjoyed the Wateloo, but there was never any chance of me running a dog at either meets ! I simply wasn't in any of the cliques. But that never stopped the enjoyment of watching the greatest coursing Greyhounds in the world ! And it hasn't stopped me having my own,(very mini) "Waterloo Cups" of my own every few weekends over the winter ! LOL !

Cheers.