Never run a light............

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Utter Bollocks.A good Dog is Never a Bad Colour.

THERES ALWAYS ONE SLAPHEAD WITH A THICK RACIST VOICE

........Or so I am told...............

Was out the other night lamping and came across two wee lads that were in the middle of a hunt on Charlie. Both dogs were giving Charlie stick and were unluckily to catch the bsatard in the end.

It was during our conversation with the lads made my ears prick up, one proceeded to slag off the other for running a white and fawn wheaten X, WE WOULD HAVE CAUGHT THAT CNUT HAD YOU DYED THAT DOG, yes you heard me right, he was telling us that if he ever gets a bright colored dog he would dye it brown.

I made further inquires re this strange behaviour and was told that he would never ever run a bright colored dog, because the rabbit/fox can see the dog a long way off and make its escape.

I have never came across such a case and was wondering if any one you lads think that a bright colored dog is a disadvantage in the field, or like me do you think that this wee fella needs help.

Its a fairly common opinion i've found, a lot of lads seem to think a darker/brindle running dog 'blends' into the shadows easier.

It's strange that you've never come across such an opinion. Not saying it's right, just odd that you've never heard it before. Do you live a fairly sheltered life? lol

I've got mixed views lol i don't think it makes much of a difference but brighter dogs are easier to keep track of in the lamp and my blue dog seem invisible almost lol wonder if the bunnies make the same observation haha lol but one thing I could say is do any of you guys wear cammo or dark cloths or do you wear anything. As you could argue the same with that

Agree with you, what's people opinion on Charlie do they recon with a bright dog does it effect the distance you can call them into you obviously it's not gonna effect the running of either animals or quarry on the course but what about stalking up to quarry to get closer does this have any effect with a brighter dog, in my experience I havnt had any probes what about you guys

That's the thick Irish for yeeeee :drink:

THERES ALWAYS ONE SLAPHEAD WITH A THICK RACIST VOICE

:thumbs::thumbs:

well here gose.. :blink: get a red filter on your lamp nd most dogs carnt see the rabbits in the beam is that true?so what colour do rabbits see in?that being said nd thought about..what colour stands out most in black nd white.. black!so now here comes the mad part do rabbits hear you rather than see you :wallbash: as why the fek in jam jar are their ears so big :blink: its not to see what colour dog is coming is it,?now i think they have very poor eyes,thats why its good to lamp in the wind so they carnt hear, rain helps because of this?what noises do they associate with danger,foot steps of man and dogs,human voice even car doors shuting,what about the sound of dogs running :hmm: how far can they hear you from,nd what colour can you see if a lamp is shining in your eyes :hmm:now after all this i could be wrong as not everything in nature is stamped to be fact!by this i mean its has been prooved beyond all dought that the bumbble bee carnt fly it is inpossible for it to do so :blink: but they forgot to tell the bee :hmm: atb hicky thicky mick :laugh:

Edited by hickymick

Well here goes, im not a sheep and my opinion!

Ive a very light coloured bitch, and my mate runs his dark bitch. What you lot are saying and what i will say arent FACTS just what ive noticed or you have! We are out, and spot charlie its his turn, so i step back into the cover so the bitch carnt be spotted by charlie or whatever quarry, charlie comes in very close job done, now its my turn and stand that dog next to me in field and charlie is spooked way before he gets as close as prefered. Im not talking just this one im talking any quarry rabbit hare roe fox the darker dog has a better tally and from my experience its down to colour. The darker dog seem to get the advantage by getting closer to quarry the the lighter coloured dog! What i said is not based on one night lamping or one season, its years, but noticing there is a problem, and trying to adress it was hard! being out night after night with a darker dog! Makes you wonder! JMO maybe i smell or something and i never get a fair chance but hey makes you think! I know i few people that think the darker dog is a better companion with higher catch rates in the field! :thumbs:

Edited by genuine

sad people on hear talking about the atributes of coulor of dogs maybe if he was stalking through the seregenti, only thing dogs of a dark coulor got over white cream is if they kill unassisted on areas were you maybe shouldnt be , you cant see the claret as much were white sticks out for nosy do gooders ,wind timing etc plays a bigger part

That is aloud shit my bitch is fawn and call many foxes up till her that came that close she could got them on the lend.

Foxes see in black and white any way like most animals a fox will smell you before it will see you just sound s me that the two lads dog got turn inside out and came up against good fox

That is aloud shit my bitch is fawn and call many foxes up till her that came that close she could got them on the lend.

Foxes see in black and white any way like most animals a fox will smell you before it will see you just sound s me that the two lads dog got turn inside out and came up against good fox

I agree with you mate. Foxes do see in black and white, so scent is the primary sense used. And I have an excellent light fawn dog.

To be honest I'm more suprised at the lad who started this thread - he says he's never heard that opinion before and seems to be totally shocked by it. :icon_eek: Is he a bit slow or what? lol I've been running dogs for years and this opinion often rears it's head. Does this bloke not get out much? Does he have much experience of running dogs and if he does how come he's so shocked and suprised???? Just an observation not a criticism. :thumbs:

Right i reckon white dogs can do equally as well as dark dogs on the lamp and agree with all of the above. However (and this is just an observation so dont shoot me) i have been out with a few very dark dogs, some fairly small and have noticed that ,amy times i have been thinking that the rabbit should clock and start to leg it any second and its sat there oblivious until the dog has been right on it and has often been snatched up before it can run, and i'm not talking about squatters, but rabbits sat feeding in the beam. Any thoughts, or is it just random?

Do you not think the rabbit would notice the million candle power beam before it sees the dog?:laugh:

There could be an answer to why the rabbits sit longer though, you mention some of the dogs are fairly small so could it be that they have a light running style making very little noise whereas a large heavy dog could be heard hammering up to the rabbit hence the rabbit hears it coming and spooks earlier?

Regarding the colour issue, a black dog will stand out more in the daytime than a light coloured one.:thumbs: