Saluki Coursing Gazelle

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see that. I have never owned saluki crosses in the past or pure bred ones. Only deerhound crosses ect.

I got put off by them especially the pure ones, as they seemed aloof and not responsive.

But, im sure their are good ones out their?

Frank.

Edited by Frank

Don't want to put a downer on it as that was f*****g impressive stamina, and who knows how hot it must be out there...but if there weren't a load of 4X4s either side of that course would that gazelle of just f****d off to the side and easily out turned the saluki? Genuine question as i thought the gazelles real survival tactic was its agility not stamina.

I'm guessing you hav'nt seen saluki's coursing before?

Saluki run totally different to greyhounds and whippets and therefore most lurchers aswell.

If the gazelle were to turn it would matter not as the Saluki isn't trying for the strike at that point, early in the course. The Saluki is pressuring the gazelle just enough to keep it running and not enough to make it turn, if the gazelle turns the saluki is just hanging behind so can easily turn with it, it is not accelerating up to the quarry like greyhound would be causing a greyhound to overshoot and thus tiring it's self and allowing the quarry to increase the gap.

Saluki's tends to make up the distance on their quarry on the turn once they have settled into the course after the initial fast run up, rather than loose it as they tend to pre-empt the turn. Only when the quarry is tiring will start to go for the strike, running faster now than they might of throughout the whole course, forcing the fatal mistake out of the exhausted quarry. :drink:

Interestingly African Wild Dogs hunt in exactly way, with Greyhound hunting more in the manner of the Cheetah.

either way matey.....salukis can turn aswell as run in a straight line....derr:

I'm guessing you hav'nt seen saluki's coursing before?

Saluki run totally different to greyhounds and whippets and therefore most lurchers aswell.

If the gazelle were to turn it would matter not as the Saluki isn't trying for the strike at that point, early in the course. The Saluki is pressuring the gazelle just enough to keep it running and not enough to make it turn, if the gazelle turns the saluki is just hanging behind so can easily turn with it, it is not accelerating up to the quarry like greyhound would be causing a greyhound to overshoot and thus tiring it's self and allowing the quarry to increase the gap.

Saluki's tends to make up the distance on their quarry on the turn once they have settled into the course after the initial fast run up, rather than loose it as they tend to pre-empt the turn. Only when the quarry is tiring will start to go for the strike, running faster now than they might of throughout the whole course, forcing the fatal mistake out of the exhausted quarry. :drink:

Interestingly African Wild Dogs hunt in exactly way, with Greyhound hunting more in the manner of the Cheetah.

:clapper::clapper:
Guest furryferter

Im not being a prik but it was only a 1minute 40 second course in a straight line on sand ....but before the ban there is dogs in this country doing it day in day out ...and before anyone goes on about what have you got against salukis my pup has alot of saluki blood on his fathers side ...im just saying it as I honestly saw it .....it is still a good clip though :yes:

It looked like the dog was kicking up a fair bit of sand, it must take more out of the dog running on sandy ground too. I wonder if the salukis here in Britain are from such top notch stock as the one on the video, just I heard that the arabs prize there salukis to a level above any other breed.

They certainly have a unique intelligence about them, the way they can pace themselves and wait for the right moment to strike, quite amazing!