four pike in four hours, but no scales..........

managed to get piking today properly for the first time since the enniskillen comp, well chuffed with the results, got there at 2.30pm, small lake bout 3acres, set up the deadbait rod as per usual with a roach deadbait cast about a rod length's out (hotspot) and for a change set up the spinning rod as ive had it since june and hadnt caught f-all on it yet :wallbash: . so started spinning away as per usual with a savage gear larvae and after about 30mins caught this

post-55004-033421300 1288045604_thumb.jpg

continued spinning with the same lure and ten mins later,

post-55004-030847500 1288045800_thumb.jpg

so feeling well chuffed with myself that i'd caught, although only two small jacks and christined the new rod then after changing the roach dead to a sprat sat down for 10mins, then started spinning again and bang third fish of the day.......

post-55004-056079300 1288046035_thumb.jpg

so chilled out for a while, tidied tackle box up a bit etc changed lures to a bright orange/pink jerkbait worked the swim nothing, tried the good old toby and.....nothing all the while thinkingto myself 'its strange not to get a touch on the deadbait', brought it in changed the bait and recast to the same spot, put the savage lure back on and struck into something a bit bigger not to far from the deadbait, unforunately it came off due to the back treble slightly bending! so changed the hook and cast back out then the deadbait rod went and oh yes maybe a new pb but no scales :wallbash:

post-55004-014146900 1288052459_thumb.jpg

anybody want to put a guesstimate on her?

edit- pics abit crap had to balance camera phone on the hed rest of the chair then convert te movie to a pic etc etc

Edited by armchair _hunter

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Jack of all trades and master of none.

i wouldnt even waste your time arguing with him mate hes a fu(king pri(k and i think most people on he know that by now

Posted Images

managed to get piking today properly for the first time since the enniskillen comp, well chuffed with the results, got there at 2.30pm, small lake bout 3acres, set up the deadbait rod as per usual with a roach deadbait cast about a rod length's out (hotspot) and for a change set up the spinning rod as ive had it since june and hadnt caught f-all on it yet :wallbash: . so started spinning away as per usual with a savage gear larvae and after about 30mins caught this

post-55004-033421300 1288045604_thumb.jpg

continued spinning with the same lure and ten mins later,

post-55004-030847500 1288045800_thumb.jpg

so feeling well chuffed with myself that i'd caught, although only two small jacks and christined the new rod then after changing the roach dead to a sprat sat down for 10mins, then started spinning again and bang third fish of the day.......

post-55004-056079300 1288046035_thumb.jpg

so chilled out for a while, tidied tackle box up a bit etc changed lures to a bright orange/pink jerkbait worked the swim nothing, tried the good old toby and.....nothing all the while thinkingto myself 'its strange not to get a touch on the deadbait', brought it in changed the bait and recast to the same spot, put the savage lure back on and struck into something a bit bigger not to far from the deadbait, unforunately it came off due to the back treble slightly bending! so changed the hook and cast back out then the deadbait rod went and oh yes maybe a new pb but no scales :wallbash:

post-55004-014146900 1288052459_thumb.jpg

anybody want to put a guesstimate on her?

edit- pics abit crap had to balance camera phone on the hed rest of the chair then convert te movie to a pic etc etc

good to catch a few mate but that last one would suprise me if it was a double,9ib ish at best,jmo :thumbs:

Somewhere between 8 and 10lb i would say.

What lure is the larvae? Not found them in a tackle shop yet :no:

Nice fish but get yourself an unhooking mat though bud, it's a bit kinder to the fish rather than laying them on the ground, or at least leave them on the net for a photo. They are quite fragile fish despite their appearance :thumbs:

its a prologic savage gear larvae, last one in the tackleshop! i use the mat for the bigger girls, maybe i should start with the babies 2 :unsure: , although i dont use a landing net at that lake as i prefer to 'chin' them, small or big pike in a landing net can twist and turn causing themselves damage and making untangling/unhooking a longer more stessful process, thanks for ll the input guys :thumbs:

You aint gonna chin many big pike easily from the bank,best to have a hook in the net and a thrashing pike than a treble in your hand attached to a thrashing pike, :yes: never have an issue with them getting tangled/damaged in a net and i'm out most weekends and if you use barbless/semi barbless hooks it's easy to untangle them. A big enough net solves that issue. The small fish are just as important to look after as the big ones are ;)

Big pike are easier to hand land than jacks theres more room to grab them, only time I use a net is if I can't get to water level. Neilson Baxter hand lands almost all his pike and he's probably had more 30lb+ pike than any other angler in this country. Laying a 2lb jack on a bit of soft grass ain't going to do it any harm it's not like he's put down on gravel or rock.

Big pike are easier to hand land than jacks theres more room to grab them, only time I use a net is if I can't get to water level. Neilson Baxter hand lands almost all his pike and he's probably had more 30lb+ pike than any other angler in this country. Laying a 2lb jack on a bit of soft grass ain't going to do it any harm it's not like he's put down on gravel or rock.

Why how many 30's has he had mate? And how many 20's has he had?

I also hand land all my pike...