Hare Evolution.....

i dont know about evolution, but hares can get wise to the ways of a dog over the course of a season. there is one place where we run which runs along a train track. when we first started runing there say 5/10 years ago the hares ran normally, totally ignoring the train track, some getting killed some not. now when we go the hares straight line for the track flat out, then run down it and escape in some cover. they never get caught now and seemrd to have learned this. :wallbash:

Thats exactly what I'm talking about..... Do you think the hares on the fens will employ this line of thinking eventually?

The thing with the big land is there's not much a hare can do to adapt to wide open spaces... :no:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm on here as Tyla, but its his misses writing - assassingirl. I know a little bit about evolution. The way it works is if there are selection pressures acting on the species it will select for anima

Evolution can and does happen in a species at a local level, it's how related but distinct animals diverge from a common ancestor. The time scale is the issue as to whether or not man's pursuit of th

some interesting thoughts ...but ive seen many a hare get up put its ears back and run flat out ..without a dog behind it ...just because its got wind of you or the dog ...on fen and field ..and as

i dont know about evolution, but hares can get wise to the ways of a dog over the course of a season. there is one place where we run which runs along a train track. when we first started runing there say 5/10 years ago the hares ran normally, totally ignoring the train track, some getting killed some not. now when we go the hares straight line for the track flat out, then run down it and escape in some cover. they never get caught now and seemrd to have learned this. :wallbash:

Thats exactly what I'm talking about..... Do you think the hares on the fens will employ this line of thinking eventually?

The thing with the big land is there's not much a hare can do to adapt to wide open spaces... :no:

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, yeah............ your right enough.... its f****d lol.

this is on the fens. slap bang in the middle of it mate.

some interesting thoughts ...but ive seen many a hare get up put its ears back

and run flat out ..without a dog behind it ...just because its got wind of you or the dog ...on fen and field ..and as you know you get them hares that get up and slowly skip off flicking there back legs and tail..trying to show the preditor that its fit and strong ....seen this on fen and field also ..many many times .....so to say a hare only runs a fast as its chased ..mmmmmm

maybe in some cases ..but certainly not all ....just my opinion... :thumbs:

• Like 1

hares on the fens over the last 20 yrs have learnt to not use there gears as much,

they know the animal behind em is a 3 gear dog not 5 gears,SO

when a dog with 5 gears turn up dont they have a shock

hares on the fens over the last 20 yrs have learnt to not use there gears as much,

they know the animal behind em is a 3 gear dog not 5 gears,SO

when a dog with 5 gears turn up dont they have a shock

Bit contraversal that statement mate, you talking from experience?

I think hares can evolve in a few generations, we used to run the fens twice or sometimes three times a week. Some places, every man and his dog knew about, Sunday mornings were like the Waterloo cup ! Now these hares were very hard to catch, only the best survived to pass on their genes to the next generation. From time to time we would stumble on places that others knew nothing about, this was obvious by the fact that the dogs would wipe the floor with the hares, simply because the weaker ones had not been weeded out, they lived to pass on their inferior genes. As a side note, the best hares, the ones hardest to catch, were never the biggest. They also learn quickly, I've seen hares go to ground only after being very hard pressed, run straight to ground in the same hole the next time they're coursed.

I think hares can evolve in a few generations, we used to run the fens twice or sometimes three times a week. Some places, every man and his dog knew about, Sunday mornings were like the Waterloo cup ! Now these hares were very hard to catch, only the best survived to pass on their genes to the next generation. From time to time we would stumble on places that others knew nothing about, this was obvious by the fact that the dogs would wipe the floor with the hares, simply because the weaker ones had not been weeded out, they lived to pass on their inferior genes. As a side note, the best hares, the ones hardest to catch, were never the biggest. They also learn quickly, I've seen hares go to ground only after being very hard pressed, run straight to ground in the same hole the next time they're coursed.

Excellent :toast:

Great post.... :thumbs:

Its called 'natural selection'. Having spent quite an amount of time chasing hares about i am of the opinion that the hares on the fens have 'evolved' (for want of a better word!) in two ways.

Physically some are very, very strong with both stamina and speed aplenty.Indeed, some hares i don't think any dog would catch. They are just too good.

The other way is mentally. Years ago it was relatively uncommon for hares to go to ground, it was rare. Today i know land that the hares will run past thick game cover to get to the old fox earth on there. Some hares are around that seem to fly to ground. Its only my theory and cannot be proved/disproved, but maybe the hares with a preponderance to go to ground readily survived to breed , ergo, produced hares that more readily went to ground.

Ad infinitum.

Who knows?

Just a couple of observations... :thumbs:

thats always been my thoughts. :thumbs: