Have a read of this rubbish.

Crackdown on illegal hunters in Pendle

9:00am Tuesday 10th August 2010

* Print

* Email

* Comments(7)

* Photograph of the Author

* By Peter Magill » Burnley chief reporter

A CRACKDOWN has been launched on illegal hunters who ‘torture and torment’ rabbits on farmland.

Police said trespassers have been plaguing land around Colne and Barrowford leading to complaints from landowners.

Officers have now issued a warning to hunters, many of whom go armed with knives, that they are risking arrest and prosecution.

And farmers’ leaders have expressed concern about ‘cruel’ practices being used on the rabbit population.

Pc Emlyn Parry, community beat manager for Vivary Bridge ward, said a 42-year-old man had already been arrested for possession of a lock-knife, while out hunting with lurcher dogs on Thursday.

“People are not getting permission from the local farmers so they are trespassing on the land without authority,†he said.

“And they are walking around with lock-knives, which are offensive weapons, in a public place.â€

When hunting, the knives are used to kill rabbits after they have been caught by the dogs, which chase and seriously injure the animals.

People also use air rifles to shoot the rabbits, which can lead to unnecessary suffering if they are not killed outright.

Hunters often use a technique known as ‘lamping’, where a light is shone in the eyes of rabbits to stun them, before they are killed.

PC Parry said: “Trespass may be a civil issue but if people are carrying knives in public, as they are coming away onto a public road, they can be arrested.â€

He said that hunters also risked losing their dogs as police could report owners to the RSPCA over cruelty issues.

Coun Ann Kerrigan, who is vice-chairman of the nearby Friends of Alkincoats Park, said: “This is just horrible.

"I am baffled when people torment and torture animals and leave them dying in agony. People who do this have got something wrong with them.â€

Former Lancashire NFU chairman David Graveston said that anything other than licensed controllers carrying out a clean kill was ‘unacceptable’.

He said there were also strong concerns over illegal methods being used by hunters, who then sell on the rabbit meat which can be contaminated after being savaged by dogs.

Mr Graveston said: “Farmers are allowed to kill rabbits on their own land or hire someone to do it for them, but they must be professionals and licensed gun holders.

“On some estates there are also gamekeepers, but getting just anybody in to do it is a no-no.

"If they are a pest, it is right to kill them but what you want is an instant kill.

“If illegal methods, such as dogs, are employed it becomes very cruel and I think most farmers would agree with that.

"It’s not a nice thing to see or even believe that is going on.

“Quite often poachers are killing them to sell them on into the food chain.

"If I was to buy rabbit I would want to see the whole carcass hanging up.

“If someone inexperienced has killed them, or used a dog to do it, they will cut out the damaged part and fillet the rest.

"It is a concern and I would warn people to be careful.â€

Andrew Rothwell from the NFU’s East Lancashire branch said: “If it is about getting rid of a pest, farmers will want the animal killed quickly, cleanly and humanely by a professional.

“The issue is with unauthorised poachers which can be a significant problem.

"Farmers see lights in their fields at night and these people will stress and upset the animals before killing them.â€

John Collinson, of Carry Bridge Farm, Colne, said he had experienced problems with illegal ‘rabbiting’.

He said: “It is just annoying. People usually come around at the dead of night and you cannot do anything about it.â€

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

what more can be said..ie nfu...love the rabbits eating crops,,goverment subsidised for eating there crop,the pigs are just thick twats.....so feck them all,,,and thank your mother for the rabbit, jus

This is getting silly now, honestly!   I'd say 5% is true and 95% utter rubbish. I really do not know how they can get the facts WRONG .   PC PARRY, you are an embarrassment, but then I can see

emlyn the plod and the reporters at the burnley citizen ought to be ashamed , get your facts right!! journalists and the police should be researching this before comment or print , this just exposes h

its a load of b0ll0(ks aint it they get to say what they want and yet they dont no how we do it they aint got a clue but its the people what do it like that whats giving the rest of us a name i dont sell it once i have caught it but i eat it or give it my dogs to eat why dont mr parry go deal with the real criminals instead of bothering us hunters

I didn't know that hunting rabbits with dogs was 'an illegal method' if carried out on permission... :wallbash:

Their should be a law against inaccurate reporting in this country, I'm surprised anybody buys papers these days with all the bollocks printed in them.

Knives to kill the rabbits after the dog has injured them, FFS.. Someone send that idiot a video of a rabbit being necked...

I didn't know that hunting rabbits with dogs was 'an illegal method' if carried out on permission... :wallbash:

Their should be a law against inaccurate reporting in this country, I'm surprised anybody buys papers these days with all the bollocks printed in them.

Knives to kill the rabbits after the dog has injured them, FFS.. Someone send that idiot a video of a rabbit being necked...

I know mate, it's fecking shocking.

This is getting silly now, honestly!

I'd say 5% is true and 95% utter rubbish. I really do not know how they can get the facts WRONG :thumbdown:.

PC PARRY, you are an embarrassment, but then I can see why your a Beat Manager...... :)

• Like 1

When will they teach rural police officers about the legality of vermin control in the countryside. These ignorant people embaress the police force and bring it into disrepute.

Anyone who lives in that area should write to their concillors and mp, to demand a published correction. If we just ignore this stuff it allows the governments to change the law from under or feet.

Atb

G

I can't believe that was coming out of the mouth of someone from the NFU. . . . . “Farmers are allowed to kill rabbits on their own land or hire someone to do it for them, but they must be professionals and licensed gun holders.". . . .. . wtf???

When will they teach rural police officers about the legality of vermin control in the countryside. These ignorant people embaress the police force and bring it into disrepute.

Anyone who lives in that area should write to their concillors and mp, to demand a published correction. If we just ignore this stuff it allows the governments to change the law from under or feet.

Atb

G

i thilk your spot on guyliath if i lived over in that area id be writing letters to councelors and keeping my ear

very close to the ground after that report.people like that just dont have a fcukin clue they make us all

sound like serial killers and saying things like that will make farmers think twice about letting people on land.

you would swear your government has no other crime to go after.

im just lucky im in ireland but eventually over here they will just follow what the english government do.

if these people could just see how humane lamping rabbits is they do my head in :realmad:

and as for the lamp blinding the rabbits how much fcuk boll.....ox is that