1st Buck of the season

I've been helping out at a relatives wood for years always with a hope that one day my labours would be repaid with the chance to have a crack at the deer that pass through with both Fallow, Roe and Sika being spotted from time to time. The owner never seemed too bothered about the deer but my constant hints and occasional bag of venison had the desired effect. The patch is tiny, around 14 acres but set in a much larger block bordering 200+ of Douglas fir alongside arable farmland so lots of potential if your in the right place at the right time.

After doing the customary pre-sickie minstrations at work on Wednesday I drove down that evening so I could get in the highseat first thing this morning. I was probably quite convincing as I could hardly keep my eyes open and looked like shit having been lamping with FD & Martin til 2am the previous day in the wind and rain :clapper: which was bloody good fun by the way lads

I got to the seat just before the first streaks of dawn were appearing in a kind of sleep induced trance having hardly slept a wink in anticipation - it was b*****d cold although the wind from the previous few days wasn't there fortunatly. I've love the dawn chorus but have to say this one was amazing with a owl in a nearby oak making it extra special. The light was very slow to penetrate the wood - the seat is not in the best place and a lot more high pruning - thinning is needed to make the best of its position. The seat had also wharped in the wet making it feckin uncomfortable - bring on the piles :cry::laugh:

post-4425-127015027212_thumb.jpg

The local stalker had been informed of my plans and new where the seat was so I was pretty pissed when a CRACK followed quickly by a thump happened around 7am pretty damn close to where I was. I don't have a problem with the guy going out but there another 200+ acres to play in and seems a bit unsafe. My arse was numb by 8 and all I had seen was a badger so I went for a stroll around the boundry bumping what I thought looked like a sika stag in the process :wallbash: Back sqirming in the pile-creating seat I was emersed in the atmosphere of the wood going about its daily routine which was total tranquility.

God knows where the buck came from - I don't think I'd even taken my eyes off the spot but he appeared by magic just 40 yrds to the right of the seat casually picking he way down a trail away from me. A some what 'slight' looking four pointer still in velvet that no way near even getting to the fraying stage. Trees kept getting in the way and still he wouldn't present the boiler room shot i was after not wanting to 'go-neck' having shot like a tit earlier in the week. My decision was made for me as he approached an area where I'd lose the opportunity so with him arse-on I placed the crosshairs on the high neck and squeezed off. All for feet left the ground at he landed on his back kicking like the grand national.

post-4425-127015030434_thumb.jpg

I hung him in a tree to cool and went back to have some breakfast and returned with the owner. I had a kip at the house as well as I was binned so it was mid afternoon by the time I got back with a 'field butchery' station all ready to go.

post-4425-127015035503_thumb.jpg

post-4425-127015043693_thumb.jpg

I know its best to let them hang a little longer but it wasn't an option so I skinned and butchered the deer while the owner got a fire going and a brew on. The perfect start to the season and a freezer full of venison for the owner as a thankyou... I can shoot another one when he's eaten it apparently which will be a while given he lives by himself!

Edited by Local
  • Like 1

Cheers guys - very lucky with the way it all worked out. Just the one sarni for me Clint.. my bodies a temple - finely tuned machine and all that :thumbs: Best of luck for your next few days off FH - I'm sure you'll land youself a buck or three... you always do :yes::victory:

Edited by Local

Good opening day post Local :thumbs: Wonder if Hinge & Bracket were as lucky :hmm:

:clapper::clapper::clapper:

Quality post there mate .Looks an old buck to me by the face .High seats first light ,magical .Havnt been out yet what with work and weather but theres a buck with my name on it somewhere ,he just dosnt know it yet . Speak soon .

Fantastic write up :victory:

Thanks for sharing the story mate....

ile second that, im not realy a shooting man apart from abit with the shot guns now and again but that was a good read and sounds good to do, well done pal and all the best