• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fireman, you've just confirmed my worst fears about you.   Here are some basic facts that everyone should be aware of:   You are not entitled to shoot cats, unless you can prove, categorically,

A cat remains the property of it's owner until such time as the owner relinquishes ownership, or the cat becomes feral. There is no legal precident that I'm aware of to confirm what 'feral' actually

Born Hunter; I do not know of a law which prevents you catching a cat in a cage and then releasing it, but care should be taken to ensure that the welfare of the animal is not compromised for the dura

Posted Images

From my point of view there is nothing unethical about cage trapping cats in the garden .Most creatures will not return to the scene of a bad experience once released.The bought deterants have limited use as curiosity gets the better in the end .Cats,either tame or feral are the absolute easiest animal to trap with a suitable cage ,prebait and you have him.Combine this with a traumatic release :blink: and you wont see it again ,ever .

Can't believe what I just read doh.gifohmy.gif

No wonder the anti's think we are all like Mr. Fireman. wallbash.gif

We all get tarnished with the same brush with that type of comment.

I don't want to be in your gang.

That post should be removed by the moderators in case it gets copied and reproduced elsewhere.

look where the cat is rubbing itself(scent marking),cover the place in vaseline with soot in. you won't need to kill the cat( your ex will when he goes on the sofa at home)

there is a tea called "baldrian" (you get it in germany anyway) and it has a similar chemical make up to the pherhormone of cats(i've caught alot of cats with it :thumbs: ).

now this attracts them like mad so whatever you do don't put it in YOUR garden,catch my drift??

waidmann

Feck me listen to it :doh: ,he said he'd use his 12g but couldn't(only due to neigbours most probebly)so using a 12g is ok usaly but not a headshot from a up to it airgun in or out of a trap?,it's legal if on your property and the cat is being a pest.Setting terriers or dogs on cats in gardens and trying whacky poisons is not legal,maybe i should have not posted a comment like that so "tounge in cheek" :icon_redface: ,but it's still a legal comment to make.Urban fcl,i'm happy with my countryside foxes so keep your gang thanks,what do you do to cage caught pests,do you let them go or do you not shoot them as well?.Foxes,cats both pests to some and then cute and cuddly to others,now there's a topic for debate! :thumbs: .

Feck me listen to it :doh: ,he said he'd use his 12g but couldn't(only due to neigbours most probebly)so using a 12g is ok usaly but not a headshot from a up to it airgun in or out of a trap?,it's legal if on your property and the cat is being a pest.Setting terriers or dogs on cats in gardens and trying whacky poisons is not legal,maybe i should have not posted a comment like that so "tounge in cheek" :icon_redface: ,but it's still a legal comment to make.Urban fcl,i'm happy with my countryside foxes so keep your gang thanks,what do you do to cage caught pests,do you let them go or do you not shoot them as well?.Foxes,cats both pests to some and then cute and cuddly to others,now there's a topic for debate! :thumbs: .

No it's not, it's criminal damage, cats are property, quite apart from the issue that a 12ft/lb airgun may well lack the oomph to kill cleanly which would open you up to a cruelty charge. Posts like that, apart from being terrible advice, bring all of us into disrepute, and adds weight to arguments for licensing airguns, to the detriment of fieldsports.

James

Edited by salukiwhippet

Dont shoot them FFS.

i know someone who had a problem with a cat. He lent a cage trap, caught it and gave it a serious soaking with the hosepipe while it was in the cage. He said it screamed like feck but once he released it , it hasnt came back.

Sounds pretty callous but if anyone was considering trapping and shooting one i would strongly reccomend this instead!!!

From my point of view there is nothing unethical about cage trapping cats in the garden .Most creatures will not return to the scene of a bad experience once released.The bought deterants have limited use as curiosity gets the better in the end .Cats,either tame or feral are the absolute easiest animal to trap with a suitable cage ,prebait and you have him.Combine this with a traumatic release :blink: and you wont see it again ,ever .

Dont shoot them FFS.

i know someone who had a problem with a cat. He lent a cage trap, caught it and gave it a serious soaking with the hosepipe while it was in the cage. He said it screamed like feck but once he released it , it hasnt came back.

Sounds pretty callous but if anyone was considering trapping and shooting one i would strongly reccomend this instead!!!

:thumbs: when i moved to my new place there were 7 cats roaming free into my garden, jugs of water got rid of 5 i caught 1 with my hands did not harm it but gave it a soaking there is just 1 stubborn 1 left he walks across the top of the fence and as soon as you touch the door handle its off like a shot, funny to watch the cat go across the fence at speed, think this 1 is here to stay

Fireman, you've just confirmed my worst fears about you.

Here are some basic facts that everyone should be aware of:

1. You are not entitled to shoot cats, unless you can prove, categorically, that they are feral
  2. The owners of cats (unlike dogs) cannot be held responsible for the actions of their animals
  3. Shooting a cat illegally is likely to find you in court, charged with criminal damage, and will loose you your gun licenses.

Oh yes, and for the second time fireman, it is NOT illegal to release pests unless they are covered by the 'alien species' legislation.

• Like 1

Matt, I'm not going to say anything either way about the rights or wrongs of shooting someone's prized moggy, but wasn't there a thread on here a while back with the info stating that once a cat leaves the owners property it becomes the property of who ever's land it's on, de facto? :hmm:

Matt, I'm not going to say anything either way about the rights or wrongs of shooting someone's prized moggy, but wasn't there a thread on here a while back with the info stating that once a cat leaves the owners property it becomes the property of who ever's land it's on, de facto? :hmm:

A cat remains the property of it's owner until such time as the owner relinquishes ownership, or the cat becomes feral. There is no legal precident that I'm aware of to confirm what 'feral' actually means, so great care should be taken to ensure that you are squeaky clean before taking action to destroy a feral cat. 'Best Practice' which is what the courts use when making this kind of judgement requires that the animal is caught alive and scanned by a vet, and if ownership cannot be proved, the animal can then be humanely destroyed.

Interestingly, there is an article in this edition of 'Keeping the Balance' (the journal of the NGO), which states that; "there are virtually no circumstances in which a gamekeeper might lawfully shoot a dog or cat."

He (David Frost) goes on: "The owner of a cat is not responsible for it's actions, but the owner of a dog is"

Whilst I can see that the law relating to cats is unfair (I'm fed up with the number of cats we get in the garden as well), the law is the law, and idiots like Fireman coming on here and giving out such poor advice could lead to forum members loosing gun licences or worse.

• Like 1

Cheers Matt, I'd love to see some greater restrictions when it comes to cats. :yes: One of my neighbours' cats brings all sorts back to hers, occasionally including bats... :angry::thumbs:

Edited by maltenby

Fair do's folks,but how can anyone prove beond doubt that any cat is ferrel or not?, also are not cats considered alien then and must be released every time? And like i said an up to it air gun,not all are just 12lb ft and above this they are well ample to cleanly kill vermin up to cat size with head shots.Mat the rat you comfirmed my worst fears about you long time ago with some of your posts,so i couldn't give a feck how you feel about me o rightous one :notworthy::feck: .If what i've said is so illigal then the mods should remove it but as none of us know the full situation with these cats and the fact that in certain situations what i've said is a real option and fully legal thats maybe why it's still here,slaps a bit of hypocrisy some of the replys aimed back at me seeing as catching cats and then soaking them is not seen as being cruel(not fatal i know but i'd not be impressed someone doing the same to any of my animals as i see that as a form of cruelty)but traping them and dealing with them humanly is seen as being cruel.As with lots of things in life we all see things from different angles but pest control is pest control and animals die,be they rats or mice or cats even,maybe what he should have asked is how do i remove a problem cat without harming it then my answer would have been different.

A cat remains the property of it's owner until such time as the owner relinquishes ownership, or the cat becomes feral. There is no legal precident that I'm aware of to confirm what 'feral' actually means, so great care should be taken to ensure that you are squeaky clean before taking action to destroy a feral cat. 'Best Practice' which is what the courts use when making this kind of judgement requires that the animal is caught alive and scanned by a vet, and if ownership cannot be proved, the animal can then be humanely destroyed.

Interestingly, there is an article in this edition of 'Keeping the Balance' (the journal of the NGO), which states that; "there are virtually no circumstances in which a gamekeeper might lawfully shoot a dog or cat."

He (David Frost) goes on: "The owner of a cat is not responsible for it's actions, but the owner of a dog is"

Whilst I can see that the law relating to cats is unfair (I'm fed up with the number of cats we get in the garden as well), the law is the law, and idiots like Fireman coming on here and giving out such poor advice could lead to forum members loosing gun licences or worse.

Your a man in the know matt, is it legal to cage trap a cat and release it?