lamping hares

There few good answer but some people think a hare is so easy on the lamp l dont think so have seen hares run dogs till a stand still on the lamp and some people say they dont know where there going off course they do every animal that feeds at night knows where it is and where is the quickes escape route till get away . surely if a rabbit knows where its home is when it starts heading for it on a lamp a hare knows where it escape route is?????

it does know where to go because i chased 1 over a month on the lamp and it made my dog look silly everytime,so i went up and had a look in the day and found a big hole in the fence so i blocked it up went back with the lamp that night and caught it no bother so there you go they know exactly where there going and if they manage to reach that bit before the dog they win everytime

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

stabba.daytime hare's are special in most decent dog lads eye's,I am not a member of the saluki brigade but can recognise that it takes a good dog to catch a full grown winter hare,you will wipe them

I dont Think Many of You who were NOT devouted pre ban hare coursers are ever going to understand, why we were so passionate about it, what we once had can never be gotten back, unless we get FULL

Just got back into hunting the past year and a half after being out off the game for a well.Back then l hunted hares during the day but never had any good really hares dogs about me and was really jus

Guest hunterside

if its for the pot yes without a doubt, where i go lamping there isent that many bunnys dew to the fact that its lamped to death so if a hare gets up i cant see a problem in slipping the dog if you dont some one else will.atb hs

Edited by hunterside

There few good answer but some people think a hare is so easy on the lamp l dont think so have seen hares run dogs till a stand still on the lamp and some people say they dont know where there going off course they do every animal that feeds at night knows where it is and where is the quickes escape route till get away . surely if a rabbit knows where its home is when it starts heading for it on a lamp a hare knows where it escape route is?????

it does know where to go because i chased 1 over a month on the lamp and it made my dog look silly everytime,so i went up and had a look in the day and found a big hole in the fence so i blocked it up went back with the lamp that night and caught it no bother so there you go they know exactly where there going and if they manage to reach that bit before the dog they win everytime

do you hunt for sport or pest control :hmm:

I lamp hares for 2 reasons

1) I like to eat them

2) I wouldn't eat many if my dog was only catching them daytime. Well, I say many, but what I really mean is any :p

Edited by Paid

Daytime hares pre ban was my passion.Watching a few good dogs working some open ground.Just waiting for the sign that they had a fresh scent.Nose down tail up and the dog going up a gear.Gave me some buss.Then the chase.Watching a good dog take a hare.You just cant beat it.To me is the ultimate thrill.atb. Catcherthumbs.gif

thats a really sporting thing to do :thumbdown:

I don't see the problem with running them at night, because at the end of the day if the dogs any good its a dead hare. No point in putting one down because some people might only enjoy lamping, now i dont like snaring, netting, shooting hares but some over people might really enjoy it so theres no right or wrong really, some like lamping some like daytime, some even like both lol. All i am trying to say is why does it have to bother any one else the way people choose to kill the hare as long as were all enjoying it

lamping hare,s at night ??????????? NO

they are one off the cream,,,,,,and putting 1 0r 2 million power lamp on them,,,,just to watch them squat,,,or run into beam ,,,,or run round and round the feild ,,,is no sport

they are dawn OR dust ,,animals,,,,,,and should be hunted then,,,,,,not when they cant see or half asleep,,,,,,,my old springer could catch them on lamp,,,,,,never mind a lurcher or running dog

( P,S DONT CARE IF I GET FLACK FOR THIS COMMENT,,,,,I SPEAK MY MIND ,,,END OFF )

i dont know what hares you have been lamping,i would say your heads painted on!i wouldnt say a lurcher is a cert to catch all hare in the lamp and they know exactly where there runs are so if there faster and can get a few good turns in there away,atleast when there through dyke or over the brow of a field there out of the light and away this is not the case in the day and where we live you hardly catch any through the day because the fields are tiny and up and down,so you bring your old springer for a wee go icon_eek.gif

Every man to his own.Why do we let jokers like this have a say.As i have said to me daytime hare are the best.But you cant slag a man for doing as you in his own way.Just to let you know .I have seen a terrier taking a hare on the lamp.ever heard af a clamper atb. Catcher

I was always taught that hares should only be run daytime between september and the end of feb.. That you only slip one dog and you always give a hare fair law.. If i go to a new place and flick on the lamp and see hares i'll turn it off and go back in the mornin.. Just my opinion :thumbs:

• Like 1

Just got back into hunting the past year and a half after being out off the game for a well.Back then l hunted hares during the day but never had any good really hares dogs about me and was really just out till see the runs.

Since then the crowd l hunted with have gone in diff ways.1 hunts foxs the other still hunts hares and l myself have got into lamping and ferreting with a few other ppl.

The last time we where out lamping we caught 2 hares l hunting hares myself and know they are 10 times better during the day and a lot easier till catch on the lamp but l dont really go for hares during the day but will do more next year l myself dont think there is anything wrong with lamping hares but would just like till hear other peoples opinions???? :thumbs: :thumbs:

do you eat the hares mate

I think you've got to be in a position where you have experienced the beauty of the hare in the day, before you can make an informed decision, on this one, and for me its, no ..Trouble is, a lot of lads have to travel for hours for a night out, and it will be some lads only glimpses of hares in the future..what are ya going to do ,knock the lamp off...

I have'nt run a hare on the lamp for twenty five year's as they are too easyilly caught,the difference between day and night is massive and it is only out of respect for such a majestic animal gained over many year's of pursuit(pre-ban)that stops me or anyone I hunt with.Young lads starting off are the worst for running out of season hare's and lamping them is the only chance they have of catching.Good winter hare's deserve a fair chance,1 dog,1 hare daytime only(pre-ban)These kids that carry on hunting all year round do so as they can't catch them in the winter,running milky does and leverets will not gain them any respect from fellow lurcherman,lamping was introduced to give an advantage over the quarry hunted, not to give a fair chance,if your struggling on the lamp then you need a better dog,there are a lot of second rate dogs about that only seem to go lamping these day's and we hear a lot of poor excuses to carry on doing so,gain some repect for your quarry and you will gain some respect from fellow lurchermen,yis,wirralman