prey drive vs brains

i wrote a article in the edrd a few years ago asking what people prefer in their lurcher drive or brains and it started a huge debate with varying arguments and when ime talking about drive i diont mean the average line of lurcher but the lines with exceptional prey drive who want to catch at all costs . i had a line out of buck the famous foxing lurcher and she the bitch and all her litter when i bred her had unbelievable drive and their aim in life was to catch whatever they ran at all costs bella my bitch caught all prey pre ban both day and night and is the best lurcher ive ever owned for putting the catch in the bag so to speak but you would want a big bag for some she caught if you know what i mean. she was threequarter greyhound quarter pit bull and would catch day or night with the same determination big stuff or small she went after them all the same. i have had running dogs all my life and never had a line with the drive that these had . the downfall with this line is the obvious they were injury prone and very used to the vets .but given the choice and as anyone who knows me will know all my running dogs must listen and behave .i would still prefer drive over brains.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would sooner have a dog with running sence wich imho can be acheived with any cross by takeing them out as soon as they have had their jabs and i am a firm believer in starting them young.I like mos

Correct me if i am wrong but is prey drive not ALL the mental side of it? A dog is giving 100% if it is mentally pushing itself as physically possible. Prey drive is pushing the boundies, ignoring th

i wrote a article in the edrd a few years ago asking what people prefer in their lurcher drive or brains and it started a huge debate with varying arguments and when ime talking about drive i diont mean the average line of lurcher but the lines with exceptional prey drive who want to catch at all costs . i had a line out of buck the famous foxing lurcher and she the bitch and all her litter when i bred her had unbelievable drive and their aim in life was to catch whatever they ran at all costs bella my bitch caught all prey pre ban both day and night and is the best lurcher ive ever owned for putting the catch in the bag so to speak but you would want a big bag for some she caught if you know what i mean. she was threequarter greyhound quarter pit bull and would catch day or night with the same determination big stuff or small she went after them all the same. i have had running dogs all my life and never had a line with the drive that these had . the downfall with this line is the obvious they were injury prone and very used to the vets .but given the choice and as anyone who knows me will know all my running dogs must listen and behave .i would still prefer drive over brains.

drive during the day but fook that at night not last two seasons just my opinion

brains in my case when putting really fast breed against quarry

in past,, if i had a dog that went in ( no guts no glory ),,,,,i put back on lead as,,its too dangerous,,,they have show abit of savvy,,or it will mean huge vet bills,,,,and it aint cheap,,,,,i know i put on other post can a dog be too fast,,my answer was YES,(GOT THE BLOOD T,SHIRT TWICE ),as many dog men before me have,,,

which could include some off the fastest lurchers,,,as ive seen really fast ones

but thats only in my case,,,,were i see brains inportant to me , :thumbs: due to the speed,,they can achive,,,not everyones case,, when it comes to the working lurcher :thumbs::thumbs:

(BUT BRAINS HELPS IF U HAVE FAST RUNNING TYPE LONG DOG,,LURCHER,,(HARE DOG BASICALLY ) :thumbs:

JUST MY OPINION :thumbs:

Drive and brains must surely be in near equal amount, I couldn't be doing with one these utterly reckless greyhound saturated dogs (in fact I wouldn't touch anything with whippet or grey) ready to kill or seriously its self, what it to be gained from a dog like that an extra rabbit or whatever in the bag, but the dog is now lying fecked in it kennel for 6 weeks or worse catching nothing.

i had a 1st cross border collie greyhound,its good points out weighed its bad points, but if it thought it couldnt catch the rabbit, it would just pull up, turn round and come running back personaly i dont like that.

Well ive had a good think about, and i would go for pre-drive. :thumbs: Ive had a few lurchers in the last 25years.[bullxs,colliexs,bitza's] and ive been lucky that most of them would give 120% on any quarry.The dog i have now Bryn will bust a gut to catch a rabbit, and that's how i want it. :thumbs: If they get a few bangs giving 120%,well its name of the game,and after all they are working dogs.And any dog running at 30-40 mph day+night, will get a few bangs.No a [trier not a thinker ] :thumbs:

merri hunter, do you not run beddyxs any more,

as you said you dont touch anything with whippet or grey in.

No I only work the Saluki's now the lurchers self destruct within 4 seasons at best, saying that old BeddieX we lost a few years back now at 14yr old was 100% till very near the end she wasn't the reckless type though. Our younger beddieX is wrecked for hunting with now has been since he was around 3 yrs old and even now on just on walks he continues to try to kill himself at any opportunity.