prey drive vs brains

i like a dog that has drive, seen so many dogs jog half the lamp with rabbits next to the hedge and turn back, makes my blood boil

just because a dog wont run at rabbits next to the hedge dont mean they have no prey drive it just means there brainy, why fight a endless battle.we all know that some of them come back in to the field but more of them get through.my dog does it and at times you think stop pissing about and run that beam but it aint that bad because she picks squaters out of the seat just walks to them a dog that runs the beam flat out will be tired quicker than the one that walks so i can live with missing the odd one on the edge just my oppinion :icon_eek:

yeah it is mate if i slip my dog on loads of hedge sitters a couple nights in a row it seems to dishearten her on rabbits alltogether, but if a long ear pops up she a different dog altogether.

exactly, especialy at the end of the season non come back into field they know exactly where they going.

a dog that wont go to a rabbit thats close to the hedge is not being clever,because they are some of easyest to catch

FLINT08 Are you for real.Any dog with half a brain would never attempt to run a hedge rabbit.Maybe the question we should ask.Has your dog got more brains that you

completely agree with you catcher,waist of time and a good way to f**k a young dog up as well, imo.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would sooner have a dog with running sence wich imho can be acheived with any cross by takeing them out as soon as they have had their jabs and i am a firm believer in starting them young.I like mos

Correct me if i am wrong but is prey drive not ALL the mental side of it? A dog is giving 100% if it is mentally pushing itself as physically possible. Prey drive is pushing the boundies, ignoring th

i like a dog that has drive, seen so many dogs jog half the lamp with rabbits next to the hedge and turn back, makes my blood boil

just because a dog wont run at rabbits next to the hedge dont mean they have no prey drive it just means there brainy, why fight a endless battle.we all know that some of them come back in to the field but more of them get through.my dog does it and at times you think stop pissing about and run that beam but it aint that bad because she picks squaters out of the seat just walks to them a dog that runs the beam flat out will be tired quicker than the one that walks so i can live with missing the odd one on the edge just my oppinion :icon_eek:

yeah it is mate if i slip my dog on loads of hedge sitters a couple nights in a row it seems to dishearten her on rabbits alltogether, but if a long ear pops up she a different dog altogether.

exactly, especialy at the end of the season non come back into field they know exactly where they going.

a dog that wont go to a rabbit thats close to the hedge is not being clever,because they are some of easyest to catch

FLINT08 Are you for real.Any dog with half a brain would never attempt to run a hedge rabbit.Maybe the question we should ask.Has your dog got more brains that you

completely agree with you catcher,waist of time and a good way to f**k a young dog up as well, imo.

I CAN TELL YOU BOYS HAVE BEEN ABOUT

just from experiance mate,doesnt mean its law,we can only comment on our own experiances cant we :thumbs:

Guest fence_hopper

talking about super whippets fence hopper when you coming out for a nite out with him to see how he does against my slo colie type it would be nice to see the whippets perform mate

di you not get my pm?

Guest fence_hopper

well me and flint08 have finaly agreed on something :clapper: very true mate

A good honest dog that is willing to please.

Theres a lot of thick bramble where we hunt.The dogs have to have the the heart to bush these rabbits

If the dog goes to the trouble of marking aset in brambles.I will go to the trouble of cutting back and ferreting.

Took one of these dogs on some open ground the bitch was killed on her third run -followed a rabbit straight into a rocky hole.

Enjoyed every one of the three years she was in my possesion

same response on here as was in the edrd which is what i expected when i put the post up and thats very raried which is good because it shows we all like a differant kind of runner . what i cant understand is people calling a dog stupid because it has a massive prey drive and catch at all cost regardless of the consequence. and to the person who thinks i like them like that because i only go out now and again believe me your way off the mark theres plenty on here know me and a few that have hunted with me over the years and at one time i lived the life day and night and to the person that thinks i like them because i need to kill kill kill atitude your even further off the mark read some of my other posts i would rather watch them than kill them nowadays . one of the reasons i dont do so much lamping as i did when i was younger .

I know you Boyo .And I would vouch for you.100% dog man .

Committed to the game ,in the fields and on the marches defending your sport.

If everyone was as into the game as you are .,and, as prepared to fight for it as you have been, they might have thought twice about a ban.Yes,I know you and you have my unreserved respect. :thumbs:

Get yourself a picardy cross if you want unbeliveable prey drive and determination ive got a two year old bitch and im well pleased with her thought id give the cross a try as ive had a few collie greyhounds over the years

Not familiar with the breed. what do they look like.Can you put a picture up.

cheers

I agree with Flint here, I slip on rabbit's 5 yrds from the hedges loads and the dogs give their all because they are smart enough to know when lamping I have the means to give them the chance they need by working the lamp to disorientate the rabbits. On my ground with it being all in plough most of the winter I will take more rabbits on the field edges than anything else, it's rough running, hole riddled bank sides, back and forth over fences, rattling through branches and over remains of stone dykes to make the catch a reckless dog doesn't last long. Like I said Brains and drive in equal parts coupled good feet and good bone.

Edited by Meerihunter

ffs you never seen a dog turn a rabbit from a hedge my whippet catches loads next to the hedges turns them straight into the field easy as that. if i had a dog that did it, well lets just say it would go to a better place. also why would the dog tire if you have give them plenty of road work and field work to increase there stamina :icon_eek: nothing like a fit dog

i think all dogs will run at them by the hedge if there close enough im meaning if its a long slip and there by the hedge,and its obvious a dog will tire more running it does you thick c**t how ever much work it has done or how much stamina it has got,you must have some very good dogs if yours dont :clapper:

:laugh::laugh: and you say its bad to crab another man or his dog ,your just unbelievable .i see also you know NOTTHING after all these years . :D Edited by 2GOOD
Guest fence_hopper

just because a dog wont run at rabbits next to the hedge dont mean they have no prey drive it just means there brainy, why fight a endless battle. we all know that some of them come back in to the field but more of them get through.my dog does it and at times you think stop pissing about and run that beam but it aint that bad because she picks squaters out of the seat just walks to them a dog that runs the beam flat out will be tired quicker than the one that walks so i can live with missing the odd one on the edge just my oppinion :icon_eek:

ffs you never seen a dog turn a rabbit from a hedge my whippet catches loads next to the hedges turns them straight into the field easy as that. if i had a dog that did it, well lets just say it would go to a better place. also why would the dog tire if you have give them plenty of road work and field work to increase there stamina :icon_eek: nothing like a fit dog

i think all dogs will run at them by the hedge if there close enough im meaning if its a long slip and there by the hedge,and its obvious a dog will tire more running it does you thick c**t how ever much work it has done or how much stamina it has got,you must have some very good dogs if yours dont :clapper:

who's the thick c**t, its common sense if it looks as if its wondering looking to find its way in the hedge dont slip but if you keep the lamp underneath him and he's plodding about slip the dog, you all talk the talk on here, if a lived close i'd show half You arse holes how to do it. if your dog is picking its own runs burie the fuker start agian.

Edited by fence_hopper

i

IM AS THICK AS SHITE MATE

no its just that a lot of people on her need to learn how to USE a lamp . :thumbs: