Dancing Bears

so do you believe its impossible to train a bear on a reward basis similiar to a dog? All animals will work for a reward. Even humans. Now if you re-read my post you may understand im saying its likely alot of bears are neglected, but neglect is not the only way to get them to dance, thus i expect not all are forced to dance in this way. Ban the cruel acts, i.e. beating it, poking it with red hot spikes etc. Thwe actually dance bit COULD be like training your dog to sit or roll over on command. Notice the could in capitals, theres always more than one way to do things, morally some are right and some are wrong but the end result could be the same. I.e a dacing bear.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Little timmy i expect you could train most animals on a reward basis,but this thread wasn't about training bears it was focused more on the cruelty aspects and whether it is more humane to put them to sleep or let them live,and any animal restricted through being trained with a ring or rope through their nose is not being trained on a reward basis,

Higgins

Higgins and Little Timmy I didn't miss the point at all, but a bear is brought up to be a wild animal not caged or whatever, the sooner these idiots realise a 25 stone beast will hurt them if it turns then the better, I know people with big dogs (16 stone akitas that would do damage if they turned) but I also speak to people in america that hunt the big bears and they would say never get close to a cub as it will hurt you. I hate seeing any wild animal caged bears, monkeys or anything else as in my mind they are born free and should die free, never caged or handled by man.

Higgins and Little Timmy I didn't miss the point at all, but a bear is brought up to be a wild animal not caged or whatever, the sooner these idiots realise a 25 stone beast will hurt them if it turns then the better, I know people with big dogs (16 stone akitas that would do damage if they turned) but I also speak to people in america that hunt the big bears and they would say never get close to a cub as it will hurt you. I hate seeing any wild animal caged bears, monkeys or anything else as in my mind they are born free and should die free, never caged or handled by man.

Bearinator,a wild animal is a wild animal and should never be caged or chained,the distress and pure depressing boredom suffered by these beasts and the fear on top of that,surely they would be better hunted and despatched instantly for they would never know captivity and all it's torment,these bears should be pts in my mind,what memories do they have and how can they ever find freedom from being released,they are not truly released anyway they are in special compounds and still being fed by man,they are no longer able to find their own food as they were never taught by the parents since they were caught while still cubs,

Higgins

imo its all about respect. i hunt because its in my blood, but the animals i hunt are killed quick and clean. There is a huge ifference between hunting an animal for food, pest control or sport and torturing it for money to entertain strangers. All animals have their predators so are mentally geared up to cope with that but no animal has evolve to cope with that kin of unnatural stress.

My tuppence worth :thumbs:

Ditto LT. I havn't read the whole thread as It's turned into the usual but.... Remember what you see on TV Is all anti shit that Is supposed to pull on the heart strings to get cash rolling In to them.

Very valid point and although i think it's cruel remember guys this is the bbc we are talking about :whistling: they make anything to do with animals out to be worse than it really is!

It is their tradition. Thats why they bear 'trainers/handlers' are having to be retrained into another job.

I dont like their tradition but I would not protest against them or try to stop them. If I went to their country I would not give them money.

People in glass houses shouldnt throw stones.

Sorry but how the hell is there any hipocracy in saying its cruel? There is a huge difference in dealing with pests in as quick and humane way as posible and burning a hole through a bears nose and making it dance for entertainment and money. Anyone who thinks these two things are linked in anyway shouldnt be on this website...

Things like whaling etc although I wouldnt fancy it myself I can understand as it supplies meat, 'medicines' etc and goes back a along way into thier culture. Dancing bears were started as a money making tourist attraction so its hardly a culture or way of life is it?