Bloody fireworks

Is it just me or does anyone else have dogs that are petrified of fireworks???

I undrestand it's bonfire night and i don't grudge other people their fun, but is there any need for it to sound like the first night of bombing on baghdad??? especially for weeks up to tonight :wallbash:

I can shoot over my terrier, take him beating etc but 1 bloody firework and he's a quivering wreck for hours!! :thumbdown::thumbdown:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fireworks :realmad:

We've an older collie here, working sheepdog. Before he came to us, aged about one year, he had at least two abusive homes :censored:

When he came here first, I remember trying to pet him. I was sat down in a chair and he backed as fast as he could and hit the wall opposite when he saw my hand reach for him :icon_eek:

He came along great though, working in the fields and out on the hill etc. Generally well rounded, fit, happy dog now. He's got some eccentricities but with that history I take them as granted.

Saturday evening the fireworks were particularly bad. It's not the BANGS that scare him it's the WHEEEEEEeeeeeeee......

I was babysitting him most of the evening, until it started to piss down rain about midnight I think :clapper: That put a stop to the show.

About 12.45 it dried and, yep, :censored: Dusty scrambles over the childgate and upstairs. I know if I bring him downstairs again he'll either spend a lot of the night scraping the door or possibly hurt himself jumping again.

So, I make a bed up for him in the bedroom. Buggered if I'm gonna spend the night downstairs.

I leave the TV on for a couple of hours and he's settled down nicely.

4.30am.

RRR!!! RRR!!! RRR!!!

f*****g face full of teeth and blood all over my face. He had taken to the bed beside me during the night cheeky git, I must've rolled over and hurt him or frightened him.

Several puncture wounds to the face, a few dabs of dettol and a course of antibiotics later.... Was lucky he didn't decide to hang on and beautify me further :D

Next year there'll be a cage and a blanket waiting for him :yes: And hopefully, just hopefully, some dozy quality controllers and no shortage of short fuses...

Guest lavyheed

This will be the first time my pooch will hear them, Not sure what he will be like.

Mind you we have a lot of RAF jets flying over low,the first time he heard them he shat a brick! He doesn't really bother about them now.

heaven forbid , 5th nov and there is fireworks , whatever next !!!

next year maybe prepare for it

yes but it isnt just the 5th of november its every weekend up to and most straight after too and as mine are pups i had no idea how they were gonna respond as all my old dogs are fine with them lucky enough after about 5 hrs of barking and winging on halloween night because my neighbour decided fireworks were a good idea then too they seem to be a lot calmer tonight cant say the same for my harris hawks though and their fully covered in grrrr i dont mine anyone having fun but have some respect for others hey

The old Doberman, who lives in, is shaking like a leaf, she hates the fireworks !! The two Lurchers are in the kennel and the older one sits looking up at the rockets, doesn't bother her at all, and the pup was a bit freightened at first, but will have to get used, as she will work with the gun in the future.

Cheers.

Edited by chartpolski

My collie cross is shitting herself but I put her on skulcap and valerian this year and she is 100% better than previous years.

The bedlington likes watching them, i was hoping she would act like a donkey in a field of horses and calm the lurcher down but it never happened :D