Rabbits alive in Snare .. ?

i dont like the stretch as i used to use it and it not always work. but the hand chop has never faild me. you can always brake the neak after the chop .

How can the stretch not work? You keep stretching until you feel a 'gap' in the neck.

The 'chop' is a very ineffective and inhumane method in my opinion, and certainly not a way for a novice to try.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont like the stretch as i used to use it and it not always work. but the hand chop has never faild me. you can always brake the neak after the chop .

How can the stretch not work? You keep stretching until you feel a 'gap' in the neck.

The 'chop' is a very ineffective and inhumane method in my opinion, and certainly not a way for a novice to try.

i made the same point matt, i think that from a novice point of veiw which i am relatively having only been in this game for a year or so, the easiest method by far to learn was streching, then chinning.

if i were to use a priest for a rabbit in a net i would still neck/chin it afterwards to make sure it wasnt just stunned.

is there any way someone with a video camera could make up a pinned article with these methods of dispatch on with advantages and disadvantages of all of them as well as a step by step guide because the amount of people that ask this (on ferreting as well) is quite large

atb with the snaring new2this and i hope you get over your dislike and lack of knowledge of dispatching.

respect for the quarry comes first ;)

Don't know if any one can understand this but it might help . As so many peoplle have already said ,practice on a dead one first .

First take your rabbit by the back legs . Then grasp its head as in fig 1. Them turn your fist (the one holding the head) at right angles to the body . Stretch the spine by holding the back legs firm & pulling the head downwards.

No strength is needed . You are just firmly overstretching the spine by about an inch and because the head is already bent backwards creating a weak point that is where it breaks . This can be done in a split second and is by far the preffered method of despatch as not only is it quick and humane but the carcase bleeds into the neck cavity and the head is already severed when the body is skinned .

The attachment shows line drawings of how to do it Hope this is some help .

post-13773-1256163444.jpg

post-13773-1256164127_thumb.jpg

Edited by comanche
is there any way someone with a video camera could make up a pinned article with these methods of dispatch on with advantages and disadvantages of all of them as well as a step by step guide because the amount of people that ask this (on ferreting as well) is quite large

This would be useful and much appreciated, but im sure like almost everything else, this process is figured out with practice.

I am grateful for the information about the 'stretch' as i had no idea about it before this topic. Thanks you.

i hope you get over your dislike and lack of knowledge of dispatching.

Thanks much, im sure over time, once i get a good method i wont mind as much.

Stretch the spine by holding the back legs firm & pulling the head downwards.

when holding the legs and the head back, would you 'push' the head downwards keeping most pressure on the neck .. or 'Pull' it downwards ... Or is pulling/pushing essentially the same thing? or only use Pull instead of push

I'll try this method very soon as i have one in the fridge

Ty

Edited by New2This

i dont know anyone who does this technique and 99% of the time i go into the woods by myself

but today i got a rabbit, dead in the snare, so just now i tried this

I think i focused to much on the neck itself (instead of the connection at the Base of the skull), felt it stretch and crack a little ... i think i did this wrong

Still wont try on a live one

Next one i'll focus the pressure more at the Base of the skull/neck connection (i did feel a gap there but not sure if its suppose to be there or if it happened on 2nd pull)

Hopefully tomorrow i'll get 1 or 2 dead ones to try again on

Thanks again for the assistance and information, Greatly appreciated and hopefully this post has helped someone else also, other then myself

Thanks again

i dont know anyone who does this technique and 99% of the time i go into the woods by myself

but today i got a rabbit, dead in the snare, so just now i tried this

I think i focused to much on the neck itself (instead of the connection at the Base of the skull), felt it stretch and crack a little ... i think i did this wrong

Still wont try on a live one

Next one i'll focus the pressure more at the Base of the skull/neck connection (i did feel a gap there but not sure if its suppose to be there or if it happened on 2nd pull)

Hopefully tomorrow i'll get 1 or 2 dead ones to try again on

Thanks again for the assistance and information, Greatly appreciated and hopefully this post has helped someone else also, other then myself

Thanks again

If you're not sure about the gap being "right" skin the rabbit and you will find out if you have successfully broken the neck or not . The bones will be disconected with just bloody flesh holding the head to the body.

Edited by comanche

this might sound really bad but to start with i used to put the rabbits head under my foot and then pull its back legs. its not too humane but it gets your confidents up because your not really touching it. touching the head usually spooks amateurs. now im fine with it i preffer killing them myself because then you know how long it has been dead for and it is fresh.

can i ask what you are currently doing with the live ones?

i've tried to let one go, but it was damaged so I decided not to let it limp around in the woods suffering and eventually eaten

the first one was in the snare just sitting there and i hit it over the head with the back of a hatchet and it ended up jumping around and strangling itself. This was my first kill so i kinda felt bad for hitting it

2nd one, i tried to let it go. but ended up trying the 'chop' method with the hatchet. (my friend whos a hunter told me about it, he works to support a family so he cant go with me everyday((i check my snares once a day)) and it didnt go as well as i had i pictured in my head but it died.

So i decided to come here and ask for a better solution as I want to snare all winter and im sure there will be more live rabbits, which i'd rather not want them to suffer badly

Just trying to better my skills by asking questions to do the most responsible/humane thing. (i've only been snaring for little over 2 weeks since the season opened)

Thanks again

Edited by New2This