Rabbits alive in Snare .. ?

Im new to snaring,

so far i have gotten 6, 2 of these were alive

when you pick them up by back legs and hit at the base of the neck ... how hard do you hit? im guessing pretty hard

i sound like a sissy but .. damn .. i feel bad for about half a day or so after actually killing one (in the snare dead i dont mind)

guess i'll get desensitized to doing it..

any tips for killing them quickly? (without a gun)

Thanks in advance

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im new to snaring,

when you pick them up by back legs and hit at the base of the neck ... how hard do you hit? im guessing pretty hard

i sound like a sissy but .. damn .. i feel bad for about half a day or so after actually killing one (in the snare dead i dont mind)

Thanks in advance

Ya let someone eles do it........

if you feel that bad fella maybe you should take up another hobbie?

Im new to snaring,

Thanks in advance

hard enough to kill it outright fella,could get yourself a priest,if you dont fancy that as said,take up another hobby,bird watching maybe lol atb

What were you doing setting snares in the first place when you dont know how to finish the job??

everyone starts somewhere

Edit:

But to be honest i did expect some flaming, considering this IS a hunting forum .. so that is ok

I still am wondering what the forum thinks would be the most humane way of killing a live rabbit

Thanks again in advance

Edited by New2This

do you eat them? if you think of them as food like i do you dont feel so bad. yes hit them hard on the back of the head. i use a flat hand and hit with the side of my hand. what some people call the karate chop. i hit twice just to be shore . but one hard chop and its done. remember its kinder to hit hard and get the job done than be to soft and hurt the bunny .

ffs. Grip the rabbit across the hips with one hand and around the head with the other just behind the ears and under the chin. Pull firmly whilst tilting the head back. It's quick, it's painless and it's easy. Practice on a couple of ones already dead in the snares, you can easily feel the neck dislocate so there is no wondering if the job was done right.

atb

H

The 'Chop' method is an ameteurish way of dispatching a rabbit, and often leads to bruised meat and an inhumane kill.

You are better off using a 'priest' (a short wooden or steel bar) and giving them a quick 'knock' on the back of the head. The 'stretch' method is the most popular, but there is a knack to it (as there is with chinning).

As Holdaway suggests, some practice on rabbits that are already dead is the responsible way ahead.

Killing any animal requires a certain amount of emotional 'detachment', unless you are some sort of freak.

A Priest used correctly wins every time.

I've been on a couple of ferret and long net sessions where rabbits were karate chopped and even neck stretched. It was not a happy sight to see a rabbit 'wake up' after a snooze only to have to be hit again.

My priest is a foot long length of 22mm copper pipe filled with lead. One hit, job jobbed.

I practiced on dead rabbits encouraged by my 'expert' mate who was also taught to practice on dead rabbits when he began.

As for feeling bad, you get used to it. If you don't then you're probably not for rabbiting.

No problem, some people just can't kill close up and personal. It's not a weakness just down to the individual.

i dont like the stretch as i used to use it and it not always work. but the hand chop has never faild me. you can always brake the neak after the chop .

how can it fail when you physically dislocate the head from the neck? its a positive movement , not like knocking an animal possibly unconcious with your hand, where it can wake up again if done incorrectly and i hate bruised meat :blink: