Rabbits alive in Snare .. ?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

can i ask what you are currently doing with the live ones?

i've tried to let one go, but it was damaged so I decided not to let it limp around in the woods suffering and eventually eaten

the first one was in the snare just sitting there and i hit it over the head with the back of a hatchet and it ended up jumping around and strangling itself. This was my first kill so i kinda felt bad for hitting it

2nd one, i tried to let it go. but ended up trying the 'chop' method with the hatchet. (my friend whos a hunter told me about it, he works to support a family so he cant go with me everyday((i check my snares once a day)) and it didnt go as well as i had i pictured in my head but it died.

So i decided to come here and ask for a better solution as I want to snare all winter and im sure there will be more live rabbits, which i'd rather not want them to suffer badly

Just trying to better my skills by asking questions to do the most responsible/humane thing. (i've only been snaring for little over 2 weeks since the season opened)

Thanks again

i would be checking my snares TWICE a day,usually morning ,and evening but each to their own

if right handed, grip rabbit around the neck with right hand, now with palm of left hand push quickly and sharply the rabbits chin right back so the top of its head touches its back. In my opinion this is the best method as you can feel the neck go as said above, wallah...dead rabbit, minimal meat damage!

can i ask what you are doing with the rabbits? are they being eaten or are they damaging farmers crops? i find the necking way more effective when dealing with a rabbit in a snare. i remeber the second time i ever shot a rabbit and i was really panicy as i had hit it slightly lower than i intended and it was scrambling around wounded. i tried the neck way but i was inexperienced and didnt do it prperly so i just put in another pellet and gave it point blank. now i know how to neck a rabbit and rarely have to but its a really useful skill to know. ask an experienced snareman/hunting shop owner to show you how to do it. as for feeling bad idont as long as i know there going to be turned into food.

Woah...

You should feel bad doing this stuff...

"the first one was in the snare just sitting there and i hit it over the head with the back of a hatchet and it ended up jumping around and strangling itself. This was my first kill so i kinda felt bad for hitting it

2nd one, i tried to let it go. but ended up trying the 'chop' method with the hatchet. (my friend whos a hunter told me about it, he works to support a family so he cant go with me everyday((i check my snares once a day)) and it didnt go as well as i had i pictured in my head but it died."

I used to give them a bullet in the head and that was pritty humane, cause I didn't want to touch them

But now I just do the hold the back legs and chin and pull;.

The back legs and chin is very humane and quick. It's also very easy to do, you hear the click and you really just have to pull.

Edited by glass22
Guest RN-Rabbit-Control
They will be eaten

a friend who's a chef wants to roast some but the idea came across to make some Jerky out of them if its possible. Havnt done much research on that yet

I can't see why Jerky wouldn't work as you want lean meat to make it. I have made Pemmican from rabbits in the past and it was edible.

WAT A DICK HEAD

So someone is a dickhead becuase they dont know how to dispatch a rabbit? I suppose you were born with this knowledge instilled into your brain? With remarks like that i would be suprised if you had a brain...

:wankerzo4:

The diagram on page 2 sort of illustrates the technique, but its more efficient if the rabbits ears are held flat across its head within the palm of your hand.

Bout time someone popped a short video up showing the proper technique of how to humanley kill a rabbit.

If anyone wants to see how it's done by a pro snareman, then come along to Pest Tech on the 4th of Nov at the motorcycle museum near the NEC in Birmingham.

Glenn Waters, aka snareman will be giving snaring demos on foxes, rabbits and rats. As well as giving demos on how to fit the components of a snare together and how to despatch rabbits in the correct manner.

Anyone interested can have a go with the master himself and even get to keep the the snare you practice with!

All the best

H

I have been ferretting rabbits for over a year and still prefer to hit them over the head with something (a large spanner) rather than stretching or chinning them. A guy showed me how to do both of these things when I started, I did and still do practice on dead bunnies, but I'm not confident about it and prefer to hit them. Bruised meat about the head and neck results, but I can live with that, till I get better. I would suggest this option to you New2This.