Guest Ditch_Shitter
jock of the bushveld

So on and so forth ..... Hmmm .....

Ok, lads; I personally consider Nathan to be one of the best historical novels I ever read. I really couldn't care less if Jack the Ripper wrote it, or the Queen of England. I just Love that book. And now you have my interest in this " Jock " book roused. So, apart from the apparrant fact that it features a fight between a dog and a " Baboon " which compares to the dog Vs. Maccaque in Nathan, what's the craic with the rest of this one, please?

Incidentally; Isn't it possibly somewhat of a conjecture to state that Plummer nicked his entire concept of 'Maroc' from this other book? After all, in those days, 'Monkey' Vs Dog fights weren't at all uncommon. I imagine many of us could dredge up the name of " Jacko Maccaquo " from our past browsings? I wonder if Jacko was harboured in a Dolls House? Was the Baboon that Jock fights?

Anyway, I once read that yet another of the fights Plummer describes so vividly was, in fact, a facsimile reportage of some battle that took place in a barn, right here in Eire. Only Plummer describes two 'Pit Bulls' while the actual fight was - if I remember rightly? - between a Wheaton and some other breed.

What I'm saying is: So what? The film, " Soldier Blue " was largely based around the real life events of " The Sand Creek Massacre ". No body complains about that. Should only people birthed into a sealed box be allowed to write books? No external influances allowed. Does not our own JD appear to write extremley well recieved books, on a number of subjects, apparrently largely based on simply asking other people about their own experiances? Nothing wrong with that either, is there? It's the way each man weaves what he gleans into a readable passage, surely?

I'd like to read this " Jock of the Bushveld ". If it's a patch on Nathan, it must be one hell of a read! :good:

By the way ~ Just for the record; I personally think, from what I know of the man, D. Brian Plummer was a c***. But he still wrote some great stories ;)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but i have to say i dont remember reading anything like that in it mate??? if u tell me wat page it is on

its page 185 , about 8 line sfrom the bottom.

its page 184 in my copy. he says the dog caught 400 odd rabbits but it says nothing about remembering each one he killed??

Maybe he owns a special edition?? :guitar::rofl:

Guest oldskool

:) when u first started jack u said he remembered every rabbit he hunted and was saddened when he killed one and that it all sounded like bullshit! in actual fact if you read it again he didnt really word it like that. what he did say was he hunted a rabbit out of a patch and it took the same route time after time when in pursuit by the terriers. he was sad when the terrier finally killed the rabbit after it gave him such great sport for so long!!! my point - people reword a story and make a mountain out of a mole hill. i agree totally with ditch shitter,, alot of folk get theyre inspiration from somewhere, and alot of stuff is changed or exaggerated to add a bit of drama to the pot. plummer was good at it and his books were good as a result, his instructional books gave honest advice with a few tales through in. whether or not you choose to believe his adventures (or bullshit) is besides the fact that the working terrier was a good book!! entering to quarry and the history of terriers are accurate from what i have seen on the internet!! as long as the 'HOW TO' advice is sound then how is his stories any different from what you will hear in a pub?? whether or not he was a c**t has nothing to do with the fact that his books are the best on the market. when u buy one, at least its not like reading a pamphlet or lookin at a picture book. my second fav book after nathan is rogues and running dogs followed again by off the beaten track!! i love chapter 2, he wrote about the bull terrier he was given called sophie!! perhaps it was a copy of somebody elses story but i dont care becuz i wouldnt have got a chance to hear it if it hadnt of been for plummer and his talent at telling it or as some would say bullshitting :) .

ps, im finished my dung talking!! well,,for now that is :D

Edited by oldskool
Guest Ditch_Shitter
perhaps it was a copy of somebody elses story but i dont care becuz i wouldnt have got a chance to hear it if it hadnt of been for plummer and his talent at telling it.

:clapper:Well Said!

I must say, OS; The last in the order of Plummer books I read ~ that is, IF I have the order correct. BIG 'If'! ~ must have been either " North and North Again ". Not one of his most memorable stories, but enjoyable none the less, in a mediocre for Plummer sort of way. Or it might have been " Trog "! Now There, surely to christ, we once more got the full on measure of the mans sheer Brilliance at character ..... I'm almost tempted to say, " Assassination "! :laugh: But, no; The way he could portray the very people we could All just about Swear we knew ..... if we could only place when and where.

The din with the lurcher and the lamp; So slimey it stunk on him. True friend to no man. No more human worth than a mange infested rat, yet always, seemingly, managing to slip by in life.

The settled Gypsy ~ with the, we can just imagine (remember?) rather too settled waist line. We just Know that guy wore a salmon pink shirt with thin, vertical white stripes down it! We've Seen the man ... somewhere.

But Best Of All - for me? The kiddie with the Pit Bull! How affronted he got when people asked him if it was a Great Dane crossed with something! ' What was Wrong with these people?! Couldn't they see that he owned a Real American Pit Bull Terrier?!? ' :laugh: Perfect!

But when that same kiddie was pressed up against his young, ignorant, disinterested wife, stabbing his finger at a christmas card; ' See, Shirl? That's a Badger! ' ? Oh, man! Mr Plummer, how I saluted you! As a writer of page tearing stories? The man was an unadulerated f***ing Genius!

And, Oldskool; How could you Not have mentioned 'Rat Hunting Man'? " The guy from the Enviromental Health would have loved me! " :rofl:

Oh damn! Now I've just had a 'Little Accident', decades after I last read that one! :laugh:Brilliant!

Bought them all, read them all & sold them all! Worst one cottage at the end of the world, load of dogs bollocks, was at the cottage 8 years ago, kennels if you could call them that, complete disgrace, foul and a huge mound of sheep head skulls left from what he feed the dogs on, local coal man, postie etc refused to go down the lane to the cottage for reason mentioned above, we could go on and on, best let sleeping dogs lie!

B

The book written was about his place in Caithness and he moved to Abington 10 year's ago where i found his kennel's to be as clean and free from sheep skulls as the next man's kennel's. Brian never had a coal man as he was on gas, the post man never went down the lane as there was a mail box at the top. We could go on and on.

I'd like to read this " Jock of the Bushveld ". If it's a patch on Nathan, it must be one hell of a read! :good:

If you cant find it read it.... its my favourite book of all time, I cant honestly say i have read all of nathan but if its like any of his other books i wont bother :no:

Take it from someone who knows ,albeit second hand ,that plummer was the worse kind of bullshitter .He wrote about other peoples adventures ,mostly one time mates of his ,and distorted them,changed them slightly to suit a long chapter in a book .No-one really minded this but he refused to admit it was other peoples outings and not his that he wrote about.Never acknowledged anybody.Ex-friends of his distanced themselves and made it known what he was like.However,he DID take scores of rat and DID run lurchers at fox .It was the nicking of other peoples memories that pissed a lot of people off without asking if he could publish it . :no::no:

Guest oldskool

well, like i said maybe he was a c**t!!! the point i make is that when everyone thinks a lad is a c**t then wat happens is that everything that 'c**t' will do must be torn apart and run down. i saw the lone furrow documentary and i thought he came accross as a bit of a c**t too. it didnt put me off his books though! no one likes to see a c**t do well!!! :11:

ps,, never take anything second hand as being the gospel foxdropper. there is a thing called a band wagon and when the shit hits the fan there is always a mob waiting to jump on it :) .

Edited by oldskool
Guest Ditch_Shitter
as a non-writer myself,

Chalky; If you were ever to produce an Audio Book, mate ....! To this day, about twenty five years later, I can Still clearly remember you telling the wife and I about that time when you and Tony Cooper were arguing about wether or not those guts would go down your outside S Bend! :laugh: You had Tony's rising cadence ~ " I'm telling ya mate; I'm a bloody Plumber! They Will Not go down there!!! " ~ so off pat, it cracks me up to this day! :rofl:

There's never been anything wrong with your writing, mate. But f*** me!; The way you Tell 'em! :laugh::good:

:11: :11: I suppose tipping the entire contents of my ferret hutch and a few Fallow stomachs down the carzi was rather pushing things a tad,.. :11: :11: :11: Halcyon Days dear reader,.Halcyon Days..... ;)

Edited by CHALKWARREN
well, like i said maybe he was a c**t!!! the point i make is that when everyone thinks a lad is a c**t then wat happens is that everything that 'c**t' will do must be torn apart and run down. i saw the lone furrow documentary and i thought he came accross as a bit of a c**t too. it didnt put me off his books though! no one likes to see a c**t do well!!! :11:

ps,, never take anything second hand as being the gospel foxdropper. there is a thing called a band wagon and when the shit hits the fan there is always a mob waiting to jump on it :) .

Old school-Dont take me for a young greenhorn mate or some star struck kid .Second hand or not its where it comes from that counts .

Take it from someone who knows ,albeit second hand ,that plummer was the worse kind of bullshitter .He wrote about other peoples adventures ,mostly one time mates of his ,and distorted them,changed them slightly to suit a long chapter in a book .No-one really minded this but he refused to admit it was other peoples outings and not his that he wrote about.Never acknowledged anybody.Ex-friends of his distanced themselves and made it known what he was like.However,he DID take scores of rat and DID run lurchers at fox .It was the nicking of other peoples memories that pissed a lot of people off without asking if he could publish it . :no::no:

I'm the same as most folk I suppose,... :rolleyes:

I like to hear a good yarn and as a non-writer myself, I can appreciate a skillful wordsmith,.but,..all things being equal,..and taking into account the words of many who state,.'I don't care if HE was a bullshitter,.I just enjoyed the stories,.etc,.,'.. Then WHY is it that as hunting men we frequently pillories and virtually crucify DIVY lads that try to tell us lies ,.yet 'canonise' a fellow who most assuredly DID NOT kill 'hordes of rats,..and certainly did NOT run his lurcher on foxes :) As I say,.it doesn't matter to me,..coz I know the score,..if ya get my drift ;) Just curious as to the dual standards that some folk have ?

Whatever,... :11: Life goes on,.the leaves fall from the trees,..etc,.etc,.. :D:laugh::laugh:

All the best,.CHALKWARREN...... ;)

Chalkwarren -Bullshit,your writing here is as meaningless as some of plummers anecdotes.

You are obviously way out your depth here.

Guest oldskool

my apologies mate i didnt mean to come across like that!! but personally, when it comes to hearing stories about somebody i always take them with a pinch of salt. 2 main reasons i say this is because when we are talking about a lad who was known for rubbing people up the wrong way, people have a habit of telling tales when there is bad feelings involved!!! another reason is that when i first came on hunting forums i found that when a story passes around a few times it tends to get bent out of shape.