Just been giving a copy of Brian Plummers - Working terrier, and alot of his writing seems to be fantasy, or to me it seems that way.

"a russel type bitch called set killed 400 rabbits in here 3 year life" - IMHO i begin to think hmmm.

the fact that he says he recvognises every rabbit he has hunted, and is saddend when he finally kills one, to me this sounds like bullshit. i know hes dead, but was just wondering if these figures and storys are true, because unlike J-darcys book n David Harcombe there seems to be a feeling of fantasy when i read it.

any info would be well recived thanks

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest oldskool

i like plummers books and i have that one but i have to say i dont remember reading anything like that in it mate??? if u tell me wat page it is on il have another look... true there is a bit of myth in them but i am a fan of his books. to me they are a very good read.... i think people dont like Plummer so in return they hate everything he done,,,, i have read them all, harcombe, darcy, frain and drakefords stuff. in my opinion they dont beat plummers stuff,, there are one or two of the above authors that like to use big letters to fill a book so its like reading something out of kindergaden. ps,, plummers nathan was a very good read.

Edited by oldskool

I have "The Fell terrier" written by Plummer, and I have to say its a good guide for following the story of a couple bloodline's untill the eightie's. Nice reading, nice pic's.

As Plummer was a teacher, he was educated and a good story teller, but it dont mean he always talking sshit! Some of his books are worth reading.

Guest Bodach

Bought them all, read them all & sold them all! Worst one cottage at the end of the world, load of dogs bollocks, was at the cottage 8 years ago, kennels if you could call them that, complete disgrace, foul and a huge mound of sheep head skulls left from what he feed the dogs on, local coal man, postie etc refused to go down the lane to the cottage for reason mentioned above, we could go on and on, best let sleeping dogs lie!

B

Sad to hear that, dont no how old the man was, maybe he was suffering from something? Dont no how I gonna behave when old and sick, but I can imagine that I should not give up terrier keeping, as long as I can reach their kennels in the garden, and make a walk with them! Whatever the price is for the look's of my garden and envirronment.

Guest Bodach

Aye, understand your sentiment's, will always have a terrier or two sleeping at my feet no matter what age I am, the wee tykes do get into your blood, now had terriers for over thirty years.

B

Guest oldskool

yeah cos he copied some of the fights from jock of the bushveld

i saw the film of Jock. i know he might of got his insperation from that but i dont think the fight scenes were the same. i could be wrong,, its a while since i watched it. jock of bushveld the book, is maybe different from the film???

Its always a little saddening to kill a rabbit fox or rat that ha giving good value in sport, i once hunted onr for nerly two months in rotheram."

Page 187 - 5-7 from the bottom.

:diablo:

they jsut seem like fantasy, but maybe as said a bove, the fac the was a teacher could ahve made t feel like that, he used alot of big words! :icon_eek: