• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SATISFACTION.You like many others only knew what you did about the man through his books.Slagging off-Feck me .The man spent a lifetime of slagging off working dog men to promote the" ultimate"terrier .

Actually, FD i knew Brian very well, i used to go to Raggengill kennel's alot, you are entitled to your opinion's, but i personally find it bad taste and i feel as a freind of Brian and Norma there is no need to speak ill of the dead. :no:

Loads of mileage in slagging him off actually he was a tosser of the highest order and regularly;y nicked everyone Else's ideas quite brazenly he knew f**k all about terriers and inflicted his foil Plummer terrier on the world i think that alone leaves him open to abuse but if you disagree bring it on!

Pockets you sound like a dickhead aswell. This is where i stop adding to this thread, because people that did'nt know Brian have the right to there opinion's but he is'nt here to defend himself from the slating he's getting, he thrived off guy's like you talking bollock's :laugh: All the best

how can you defend a man who hated terriermen????????

who slagged the owners of any other lurcher other than hancocks stuff?

and who had superior ferrets to everyone in the world???????????

come on now the last guy to con as many people as he did was david Kuresh and look where that got him??????

man was prick lets leave it there

Never read his books.

Met him once he had a cat that could talk to you on his command.

The kennels were a shit hole as the drainage in his property was crap and all the shit and pish ran to the field next door when the pound was hosed down.

As for the post box the farmer whose fence line it was on pulled it up and it now lies at the side of the fence as you go up the drive.

They did f**k all about the drainage till they were reported to the enviromental health and were forced to put in a new sceptic tank. This was when he put a Fence around his property.

Plummer may be dead but his wife still lives. :diablo:

Perhaps I'm too new to field sports, and probably considered green to the ways of other sportsmen. However our sport has more than enough people who would like to call us names or even lock us up for enjoying ourselves! Brian Plummer was Brian Plummer he must have over the years brought many people into our sport- they may have moved on learnt from others. Then hopefully become better field sportsmen/women or they may have thought as many do that he was just some wild lunatic, who could tell a tale or two. I do not care. We do ourselves and our future no good by name calling and knocking a dead man. I for one have better things to do, our sport needs our voice in its defence. If I can encourage as many people as Brian Plummer into fieldsports I will be happy - thats more voices for us, more votes for us and more chance that something I have spent the best part of my life working with and enjoying will continue. This sounds like I'm preaching I may be, but my kennels have working terriers in them, my rifles are being used and I will hopefully one day be following hounds as they should be hunted. And untill that day, any person that helps our cause in any way deserves some respect.

you are dead right their mate ! but when i grew older i still felt the same because i red them while i was young ! if people think it is gospel what they read they can not be getting out enough to prove other wise , but you are right when i was young his books got me spured on !! and you get out a bit your self and learn !and i am only 29 now so ive still got alot to learn . i think he would of got more respect as a writer and that would of been it ! but he had to bring out that terrier which i personly think was his biggest down fall ! you dont hear much of the lurcher but that might just aswell .keep it to your self type of dog ????

Guest oldskool

my posh aunt bought me a plummer book for christmas. it was 'the complete jack russell' i think i was 12 or 13. after reading it i tortured my dad to get me a jack russell and it went on from there. i have loads of plummer books now, all good!!! i tried a good few others but none come close. my hat off to the man, i wouldnt have started into it if it wasnt for him. i still keep the odd jack from time to time. but im mainly a lurcherman now.

Edited by oldskool
Guest billy boy

Just replying to Mr Jack Williams remarks about the 'plummer book', The Working Terrier. Could I first and foremost state, the man had a remarkable brain, highly intelligent ,and also a photographic memory. Of course he was probally viewed to be an 'odd ball'! His abilities to captivate an audiance was second to none and to enthrall an audiance also.......

However, really and Truly some times things have to be said. The Truth is the most important thing in life and we can never escape that!

I totally agree that there is people who liked Plummer and of course people who didn't.

The man has passed by in this life but that doesn't mean one cannot have their own opinions on these subjects .......

For myself I passed by at his house when I was a youngster with a friend who knew him well. My friend lived in Staffordshire and knew him really well also.

The truth is Plummer was a writer first and formost. Never really a hunter despite what other people think or say! He had the knowledge to turn things up sound down. Very sorry that is the truth! Of course throughout his life he knew what he was doing. Making money from all the good guys who had done so much for the game.......

I thought about what Fellman said sometime passed by, about Plummer hating Terriermen. That is right for sure!

Good luck my friends! Billiy boy.....

My first introduction to hunting was when my mum who was/is an anti :laugh: bought me the working terrier as a kid because I was dog obsessed, she thought it was a just a dog book :11: I beleived it all and as a teenager got all of Brians books and spent time with my dad hunting with Brian in Caithness after responding to an advert in the 1987 working terrier yearbook :yes: He helped me with my first terrier and gave me a list of people to contact who would introduce me to hunting, Wally Wyld, Jed Alker etc etc. Trouble is when I phoned them nobody wanted to help, he had sent so many there way :cry: As I grew up I began to see cracks appearing in the stories and also his hatred for your average terrier/lurcher owner :(

I still think his books are a good read as STORIES but the challenges such as recreating working sealyhams, cavaliers that would work fox etc left me saddended :no: As you get older you see more clearly ;) I have the upmost respect for todays writers such as J Darcy, P Dooley, D Harcombe who are DEFINATELY leading by example :guitar: Not to mention the genuine dogman from this site ;)

Simon